Anyone Fish Southern, WV?

Discussion in 'LOCAL WEST VIRGINIA TALK' started by bigbengal, Jun 9, 2008.

1. bigbengal

bigbengal New Member

State:
    WV
    Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone on here fished in the coal fields of southern, WV. I live in Logan County near Man,WV and catfish the Guyandotte mainly and sometimes RD Bailey Lake. I have no problems catching catfish just can't seem to catch a monster (20 + lbs). I would appreciate any tips or tricks from more experienced fishermen.

God Bless

Pete

2. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    not from the area grew up in clarkburg wv now live in richmond ky .You will find people who might get you fishing some different areas maybe thats about the top end of what the guy. has to offer Idon't know . Seems like a good rep. on the Kanawha and Ohio .At any rate good luck keep trying you can'tcatch them sitting on the couch!Are you using big live baits? Flatheads/Blues present in the Guy.?

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Welcome to the BOC! I live about 20 miles from Huntington,WV but never get to fish over there. I do have an OH fishing license but not a WV one yet.
    Good Luck!!!

4. bigbengal

bigbengal New Member

State:
    WV
    Lance,

I use creek cubs and bluegill but it seems that I run into a lot of gar and stripers when using live bait instead of cat fish. I usually only fish one rod with live bait and then others with livers and crawlers.

5. bigbengal

bigbengal New Member

State:
    WV
    I used to live in Huntington and I loved to fish the Robert C. Byrd Locks and Dam. We used to catch some big fish there. Have you ever fished that area?

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    No not yet, I hope later in the year to fish that area on the OH side though. I've heard good things about that area though!:big_smile:

7. wvcatfishhunter

wvcatfishhunter New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I live near man as well. Not much around here and RD sucks big time. Best place around is Kanawha river. but thats a 90 min drive and pulling a boat as well its a pain. East Lynn isnt to bad most days but nothing of any real size. gimme a yell and maybe we can get together and wet a line.

8. bigbengal

bigbengal New Member

State:
    WV
    Hey Mark,

Where to do you live at near man? I live at Davin on Huff Creek and I grew up at Kistler on Buffalo creek. It is great to see someone from Man area on here.

Pete

9. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Can't help ya much, I am on the other end of the Gdotte.
    Down this way we do better on size on the stretch from from Barboursville to the Ohio R. 'Gills, Chubs and recently the large Shad that have moved into the River.

Always thought it might be fun to float the River from there to here. May have to get around to that one day. Can't imagine how long that would take, I know that we drive round 15 min. to Martha and get an 8 to 10 hr float from there to Bville. Just about perfect for a day trip. And come to think of it, It's just about time to do that again.

Is that the Gdotte I see when rolling by Chapmanville on 119?

BTW Welcome to the BOC!:big_smile:

10. bigbengal

bigbengal New Member

State:
    WV
    Yeah that is the Guyandotte in C-ville. It follows rout 10 from man to huntington. I used to live in Huntington and have fish the mouth of the Guyandotte many times. I believe the guyandotte is a lot deeper there. There are places here you can walk from bank to bank and not get your knees wet. We have some deep holes but they are not very long.

11. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Yep, aside from a few holes the river begins to get depth at about the Russell Creek bridge. The bridge from Rt 60 to the Altizer neighborhood.

During the drought last summer, aside from the holes, you could have waded to that bridge without getting your chest wet. Floated it with a depth sounder and for the most part it was between 1 1/2 to 3 foot deep. Surprisingly, we still caught fish. Cleaned up on the Saugeye last fall.

12. wvcatfishhunter

wvcatfishhunter New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I live at Bruno. Sorry its taken so long to respond been putting in alot of overtime. Gonna try to go next week and get a new boat something with a little more ummph laughs. The cats should be starting to come off the nest by then (hopefully), There are a few deep holes at verner ever fished there? A Guy used to fish there alot ever heard of Earl Pelfry? Everytime he went there He'd drag a 30 + out. Right where the bridge goes across the river. I've not had that kind of luck anywhere near there. But for channels its not to bad. and straight up the road there on the road side before you cross the bridge isnt bad either. But if you wanna try and get together to fish some and maybe catch a few lemme know. After this week I'm not gonna work all the blasted overtime (laughs) 70 hrs a week in the mines I'm dragging.

13. wesmcbride28

wesmcbride28 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I fish bluestone and new river all of the time. Have you ever tried it around there?

14. bigbengal

bigbengal New Member

State:
    WV
    No I have never fished either spot, I have heard that bluestone was great for catfish. Where exactly is Bluestone at?

15. wesmcbride28

wesmcbride28 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    It is in Hinton in summer county.

16. bobcats fan

bobcats fan New Member

State:
    jackson,ohio
    welcome to the boc, i do not fish around man but i am down there about 1 or 2 times a year to visit buddy justice do u happen to know him i always thought the gaundot (spellin sucks) looked good down around gilbert

17. bigbengal

bigbengal New Member

State:
    WV
    No I don't know buddy justice. The Guyandotte is awesome for catching channels cats and small mouth but it is hard to find a big flat head. Every year someone will catch a 30lber + and there pic will show up in the paper but they are few and far between.