Anyone fish South Holston Lake

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Biscuit, Apr 5, 2007.

1. Biscuit

Biscuit New Member

State:
    Va
    are there blue cats in this lake?

2. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Where's that at? I think I have heard of it before.

3. Biscuit

Biscuit New Member

State:
    Va
    its on both tenn and va state line.

4. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Sorry man thats outa my area other wise I would of a least found out something about it for ya. Good fishing to ya .

5. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Going 'feeding' the fishes today, there. You can access the lake on line and see what kind of fish we have here.

I'm gonna get some sun, drop a line, play with Riley and generally enjoy the day.

Take some pics, look for rocks, you know, the things I love in life.

Take care.
    Cheryl

6. keithcatfish

keithcatfish New Member

State:
    Maryville, TN
    I'm going smallmouth fishing at S Holston this weekend. It's a cold, deep lake so I doubt it has cats like Loudon or Watts Bar but I'm going to bring some cut bait with me to try out at night.

7. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Keith,

I sent you a PM with some links in it for information about the lake. Anyone fishing here needs to realize that part of the lake is in VA and part in TN, so be careful or have both licenses. They used to not care, but have started enforcing the boundaries here.

Hope it helps,
    Cheryl

Well I didn't catch a thing, except a tan, yesterday. The calendar was right about the fishing being poor. It is suppose to be good today, but I have other things to do today around the property, like plant all those dang flowers I've accumulated. They can't live in water forever,..........or can they?????? :lol:

Anyway, Korbin, my son and his girl joined in the fun and we had a blast, shooting missiles, taking pictures, playing with Riley, finding rocks. I found some beautiful quartz yesterday.........the clearest I've ever found. Brought home a beautiful red forest plant that resembles a nicotine flower bloom, but the plant is not similar to one, so I'm not sure what it is.

Lots of people on the lake enjoying the passing of winter yesterday. If those dang jet skis were just a thing of the past, I'd be happier.

Oh yeah, Riley bit me 3 times yesterday, but only one time did he leave teeth marks and draw blood.............on my inner thigh.................one of the most tender places on a body. He was only trying to show his protectiveness, and I was trying to keep him from snapping at someone else, so he bit ME instead. He kinda has meltdowns when he can't show me how he can protect me, and just bites me. Well this is the worst he has ever gotten me, YET. The ice cube caused the bruising to subside and then completely disappear, much to my surprise. And it stopped the bleeding. Today all you can see is a welp, redness and the entry holes of the teeth. All is well in TN today.

Take care.
    Cheryl

8. matt22va

matt22va New Member

State:
    Kingsland, Ga
    I fished South Holston as a kid and through my teenage years. Everything I'm reading about the lake says channel catfish and flatheads but I remember catching mostly blues. Now, at that time I might have not known the difference, but most of the fish I caught had a blue back and whitish underside with no spots. I didn't count any anal fin rays or anything like that though. I do remember my old man getting the the skin torn off his finger by a 8 lber when removing my hook, so I'm thinking they were blues, the average fish was also about 2lbs so thats a pretty good average for channel cats. You guys let me know how you do and what you find out since I will be getting out of the Navy and coming back in a couple of years. This lake used to be a very good rainbow trout lake also, with fish in the 3-8lb range and a blast to catch, sometimes we would catch them with corn on the bottom fishing for carp. Fishing for those carp were a blast too and gave us something to do during the heat of the day. I've seen some nice flathead's come out of the rivers that feed south holston, so I imagine they are there too. With the way they draw that lake down in the colder months, I would think someone could really get on to the flatheads if you found em. I'll be keeping an eye out to see how you guys do.

9. matt22va

matt22va New Member

State:
    Kingsland, Ga
    I'm coming up later this week and was trying to find out if anyone was doing any good fishing holston. any help would be appreciated.

10. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN

I haven't had time and really couldn't tell you. Every time I try to head to the lake, life detours me..........here is a link............but I would find more than just this one and draw the truth out of the middle for myself.

Good luck and happy cattin'
    Cheryl

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_7674.asp

11. Y_ASK_Y

Y_ASK_Y New Member

State:
    Virginia
    i haven't done any good in 2 weeks now, i think flats are on the nest now, prolly be a few weeks b4 i go again, catfishing that is, ill try and crappie fish some...

12. matt22va

matt22va New Member

State:
    Kingsland, Ga
    I went out last week end and crappie fished between painter creek and washington co park. We caught 35 crappie. I kept two catfish rods out, both off of a rocky point. One with liver and one with herring (I think it was skipjack), We got one good run on the liver and he never came back to it. No hits on the Herring.

13. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Someone told me that they stocked catfish last week, but in scanning this article, it says last year, so please research it for yourself. Also I am including a TWRA link. Let me know if any of these are useful to you for our area.

Take care.
    Cheryl

P.S. Thanks for the report! I am thinking more and more that I may have to put on an ACATS tourney, or check on doing one, here, as I am an ACATS member, and have been for almost 2 years now. What do you think? Any input would be greatly appreciated on this subject.........Thanks in advance for anyones' thoughts.

http://web.mac.com/tnwildlife/iWeb/TWRA 4 web/TWRA Wildcast/TWRA Wildcast.html
    http://web.mac.com/tnwildlife/iWeb/TWRA 4 web/TWRA Wildcast/TWRA Wildcast.html

14. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    OOOPPPPPPPPSSSSSSS, I posted the link above twice.

Here is the additional link I wanted to post. You can go from there with searches or whatever in the Tri-Cities area.

http://search.tricities.com/Search.jsp

No it wasn't alcohol or 'herbs', that caused it, just OLD age..........:crazy::lol:

Please let me know if anyone is interested in a catfish tourney in my area.

Thanks and take care.
    Cheryl

15. matt22va

matt22va New Member

State:
    Kingsland, Ga
    I would travel up for a tournament this summer sometime. Preferably before August, but I haven't seen alot of interest in the tri cities area. All you brothers and sisters from the more western parts of tennesee and the more eastern parts of virginia jump on in. Kentucky and North carolina should be into it also.
    Cheryl, we should put a post on all these other states also and see what interest we get. Probably include South Carolina too, since all those guys that fish hartwell are only 2 or three hours away.

16. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Matt,

Thanks for the response and isn't Santee, just a few hours away, too? I know that a few of our natives here, perished there last year, while fishing. For some reason, I don't think it is over 3 hours if that far, from here.

Thanks for trying to see if there is any interest. Feel free to post it in the other states and post back here if there is enough interest and we will see what and when we can work it out, if it is feasible at all for us.

Take care.
    Cheryl