Anyone fish Patagonia lately?

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by fishchick, May 13, 2008.

1. fishchick

fishchick New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I was just wondering if anyone has done any cat fishing at Patagonia lake recently. The fishing reports from game and fish are about worthless, so I was hoping this forum may be a better source of information, or at least more current. We fished there about a month ago and the fishing was totally pathetic, but I know it should have picked up by now.

2. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Hi, welcome to the site! Ive fished all the lakes around the phoenix area for the last month, and I think the water temps are a little cold as the bite is still sporadic. Things are picking up, and with all the water we got this year should be one for the record.

3. SandyCatfish

SandyCatfish New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    We camped on the island last week-end......caught 3 catfish...one was about 3 lbs...the others were under 2 lbs........they were good eating anyways. The wind was still Sat night but picked up Sunday morning.......the wind is bad this year at Patagonia. We will be going to Roosevelt this week-end, back to patty for the holiday.

4. fishchick

fishchick New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Thanks for the info. We are going to try fishing Patagonia tonight if things work out. It has to be better than the last outing we had there.

5. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    Welcome to the Boc and good luck at patty.

6. SandyCatfish

SandyCatfish New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    I have always caught my biggest cats at night from the bank. Last year we got a 4 lber from the bank...heard while resting on my cot, the pole had a cow bell on it it was like near 4.5 lbs actually. I bought industrail rod holders---home made, while I was in Manhattan Kansas last year from a bait store near reservoir the size of Rosey. Kansas has the best bait stores I have ever seen. We bait it up with worms or chicken livers. When I bait my line with chicken livcers I use about 15 inches of sewing thread semi-firmly wrapped around the chicken livers so they stay attached to the hook when I cast the line. The new Wal-mart grocery store at 22nd st and Craycroft always has chicken livers......Fry's is sparodic or none ususally. I take 2-3 lbs of livers on each trip.......if they do not bite within 20... min. I refresh the liver.....blood liver is what they want. They hit with in 5 minutes if the bite is on. We were going to Rosey yesterday, but will back to Patty this morning for 2 days. I do love Patty and bank fishing....we usually camp right near the main part of the lake by the wake point...it stirs the fish up they go towards the bank when a big boat comes in 2 fast....that is when they bite......about 5 min later. I love to hear cow bells go off.:big_smile:

7. fishchick

fishchick New Member

State:
    Arizona
    We usually use a boat, but we do fish very near shore. The only reason for the boat is for making moving around a little easier, and sometimes moving does improve the fishing.
    My local Fry’s store is pretty sporadic about livers too, and I usually manage to find some at either Wal-mart or Safeway. I’ll have to try the thread with the liver. I usually use a piece of shrimp as a back-up for the liver, but always have a listen for two splashes when casting.
    Wednesday night two of the three we caught were on shrimp that I had covered with garlic powder, the other one was on liver. The one bass we caught took a worm, but that was the only thing we had a nibble on with worms. They just were not biting very good, so I hope things are better for you this weekend.