Anyone fish Lake Parsons in Kansas?

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by onlyone, Apr 4, 2006.

1. onlyone

onlyone New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    Its not very big---932 acres. Most probably haven't even heard of it. (Neosho County)

2. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I think you'll find that there aren't a whole LOT of BOC brothers or sisters in this immediate area Pete. They're around...but they are definately sparse! Hell...I live only 35 miles from you...and I've never even been to Parsons lake...Lol.

Big Hill...now I've been there...which for those that don't know...is located close to Parsons Kansas as well. It was even listed in the 2004 In-Fisherman catfish guide(If not that issue...it was from when the monthly issue was still being circulated before they stopped that) as a channel cat hotspot....in the destinations department.

Nothin wrong with Bonecreek either over in Crawford county between Pittsburg and Ft. scott, KS.

The Mined Land Wildlife Refuge Area here in Cherokee county is just way too covenient for me...plus there's some hawg channel cats in there as well. Especially if you know the area. (Like I do ;) )

Give me a holler...we'll go drown a few shiners or perch someday!

3. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

I fished it several years ago one evening, and had no luck. But one evening does not say much.

If you want a bunch of cats in the 1-8 pound range and you have a boat, Bone Creek is the place to go.

4. onlyone

onlyone New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    I've been to the Bone Creek Sport and Gun Club a few times. Dont know where the lake is. Need to skip class some day and go look for it:) . I also need to find more of the srtip pits. So much to do, so little time to do it. LOL Thanks

5. retired stump jumper

retired stump jumper New Member

State:
    KANSAS
    Say fellows I live in Cherryvale, it is just 4 miles from my house to the dam at Big Hill lake. But have to say I`ve never fished Parsons lake, I go close to it quite a bit going to the K.G.& E. lake. When the water is running I fish the Neosho river below the dam just E. of the power plant. Let me know when you go to the Parsons lake & I`l see about metting you there.

6. retired stump jumper

State:
    KANSAS
    I think I messed up my other post so will post it again. I live in Cherryvale my home is just 4 miles from the dam at Big Hill lake. But I have never fisher at Parsons lake & I go close to it quite often on my way to the Neosho river dam just E. of the K.G.&E> power plant. So if you go to Parsons lake let me know & I`ll try to meet you there, or any place around here you want to fish

7. retired stump jumper

State:
    KANSAS
    Hey Catcaller what pit do you fish for cats I`ve been over there once but never caught anything, but if I can catch some hogs I sure would try again also can a person fish from the bank at lake Parsons I have never been there But plan on going next week.

8. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    I don't fish Parsons lake but I do hear of big flathead coming out of there every once in a while. I know a group of guys that fish it every weekend from may-sept. They catch 15-25 regularly. Every once in while they will get a 50 plus.

I do know the crappie are biting there right now.

At the spillway you can catch saugar in the spring.

9. retired stump jumper

State:
    KANSAS
    I think I`ll give lake Parsons a try the 18th 19th 20 &21st of this month & see what I can catch in the way of Cats & crappie.

10. onlyone

onlyone New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    ya you can fish the bank at lake parsons. The creek at the north end is where all the crappie are coming from--mostly on minnows. good luck- I may try it also between the 18-22. Not sure though. Good luck

11. lakeith

lakeith New Member

State:
    St. Joseph, Mo.
    Hey Stump Jumper i'm from Ottawa and used to go to Cherryvale to visit my Aunt. Her Name was Bethel Parker. Do you happen to know the family? After she passed i haven't been back. Probably the last time i was there was around 92' or so.

12. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    I know I said earlier that I don't fish it much but last night I went with a friend that said the crappie were still biting. Will I went.........I haven't fished it in 10 years. The lake is down a lot.

We caught about 60 crappie in about 3 hours, 40 of those went home with us. There are same very good crappie fishing going on right now there. I heard that the big ones were biting over the weekend. The avg fish I took home was 1 1/2lbs with a few being 2 1/4lbs.

I think I'm going to fish Lake Parsons alot more.

13. retired stump jumper

State:
    KANSAS
    A sun in law & I went to lake Parsons today & fished from the bank the wind was afull I sliped on the rocks & fell borketwo ribs guess I am getting to old to be trying to get around in the mud & rocks I just had one bite & when I set the hook I slipped & fell lost the fishn too. DARN

14. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    That is to bad to hear stump jumper, I hope they heal up okay. Were you fishing at the dam? They are a little slick. I went again on Saturday, they are still biting, 2 hours 20 crappie. I hope catfishing goes this well.

15. retired stump jumper

State:
    KANSAS
    We did not fish by the dam we were on the north west side there was a draw of sorts rocks & mud what hurt the most was I did not get to see what I had hooked darn you would think I should at least got to see my fish before it got into the brush & got away wow that wind was somthing else.

16. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    Yea that wind is still blowing hard. Are you still go to camp at Parsons lake? I thought you said you whwere thinking about satying there a few days? But with your ribs hurting that may change your plans. If so the Sportsman camp grounds are not as rocky........It has docks and flat banks. They are catch crappie at the camp grounds but I don't know if they are as big as the ones at the dam. I'm heading out again on Tuesday, I hope the crappie are still there.