Anyone fish lake Ivie - Great Catfishing Lake

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Fishwhisperer, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Fishwhisperer

Fishwhisperer New Member

State:
    TX
    ivie is a great lake and was wondering if anyone had any tips on fishing it. i've had some luck last few months but only on throw lines and a few lucky catches on rod and reel. be great to find someone who knows a little more about it. thanx, fishw

2. bluesbro

bluesbro New Member

State:
    tex
    How are you wanting to fish?
    Mainly rod and reel?

3. Fishwhisperer

Fishwhisperer New Member

State:
    TX
    i've had luck with throw lines mostly. i've tried drift fishing but lots of trees and stuff to hang on. i've tried drifting in the middle of the deep river beds but i think its too deep and feel like the fish are hanging in the trees beside the river beds because that is where i catch them on the throw lines about 6 to 10'. i had some luck last time on weedless jig heads with shrimp in the trees just dobing around but i know there has to be a ton of fish in ivie and 3 or 4 fish trips are ok but feel i could do better. thanks for any help

4. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    I have only fished ivie once. I took the 3 boys with a guide, I don't think I am supposed to name him, but he fishes out of a pontoon. Nice guy and a great trip on white bass. I hear he is good on cats also.
    I have a friend that fishes different lakes, he always pays a guide a tag along fee for a couple of days. He says usually$50 to a $100 per day and they will let you follow them to their spots, show what they use and give lots of info. He thinks it is a cheap way to learn a lake.

Jim

5. bluesbro

bluesbro New Member

State:
    tex
    The tree line along the channel is a great place to begin. You are right, the active fish are usually on the edge or out of the channel. The bigger fish are deep right now although I have caught a few nice ones up some of the creeks. Rod and reel fisherman are having some success in the trees catching channels and blues up to 8 lbs on rod and reel. If you want lots of bigger fish you need to consider jug line fishing. Right now the numbers are not great but you have a great opportunity to catch fish over 30 lbs every night. Good spots to look for are the flats near the channel with the most wave action. This is the best tactic on begin with on every new lake that I try. Big blues love the waves, it's the closest thing to current in a lake like Ivie and the shad also are in that type of area. Will be happy to help you in any way that I can. I plan to be on Ivie this Saturday if the wind is not over 25 miles per hour. I drive a black tacoma and have a duracraft center concole alum. boat. Go to Memphis Net and Twine and order some 13/0 Eagle Claw style 190 circle hooks if you want to jug fish. You can also buy these at some of the area stores but they are a lot higher. If you want to visit, leave your email address and I'll give you my cell #.

6. Fishwhisperer

Fishwhisperer New Member

State:
    TX
    hey jim, thanks for the reply. what did that trip cost u. i agree u learn a lot from someone that knows the lake and how to fish it. save a lot of time and money. i would be up for a guided trip just don't know any that do catfish on ivie.

7. bluesbro

bluesbro New Member

State:
    tex
    I have pop up blockers that keeps me from getting your message.
    cell 325/998/0312 after 8:15 tonight if you want to visit. I'll be at a basketball game in Coleman coaching a team that wears green. Be glad to help you anyway I can. If for some reason I don't answer leave your # and I'll get back asap.

8. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    The guy I went with charged $250, we went on his boat and he supplied everything except lunch. That was for all four of us. I didn't ask him if he had a tag along fee, because I didn't have a boat then. I don't know for sure, but others have told me that Dave also takes catfisheren. It sounds like you may have found a knowledgable partner on this forum. I didn't know about the wave action. I plan to try that here at San Angelo this week-end if I can get to the lake.

Jim

9. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    Bluebros, When I jug fish here, I wind up with my ling tangled in the brush and have to cut or break some of them off losing my fish. I fish Twin Buttes mostly and like Ivie it was low for a long time and has lots of brush. I was thinking about not putting a hook deeper than about 3 ft. Any suggestions?

Jim

10. Fishwhisperer

Fishwhisperer New Member

State:
    TX
    hey blue, thanks for the tips. i have about 40 jugs ready to go because i live by a laundry. i just used throw lines cause all the trees. i've heard over by leaday is some good jugen but have not tried it yet. i've only been 3 or 4 times. i tried to find some of the old houses and stuff they covered when they filled the lake but i think the hydrilla blended them in or i might not be looking in the right place. is leaday town over by that church u can see from the water? anyhow, i'd like to know what debt u are juging in and stuff if u don't mind and thanks for helping me out mabye we could wet a hook some time. my email is charletonK@aol.com

ps. do you play some blues or something? i play lead guitar and was just wondering...later, kurt

11. Fishwhisperer

Fishwhisperer New Member

State:
    TX
    jim, i think i've seen a web site for that guide, i'll give him a call. i like Twin Buttes because the water is blue. do u catch good fish out there. i jugged a few months ago and caught about a 4 lb blue. i looked at the stocking report and 1980 or so was the last time they put any blues in that lake. after it got real low i figured the fish would'nt be as good. i saw they stocked it in 05 with bass and channels. what size fish u catching? take care, kurt

12. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    I haven't landed any good cats, but last fall they were catching yellows to 35 lbs and some blues up to 65, so there are still good fish there. I had 4 jug lines tangled in brush and couldn't get them out, might have been good fish. I landed a few, nothing over 3 lbs. I get distracted and start fishing for white or black bass. The whites we have caught on Christmas and Thanksgiving were from 16' to 18.5" A total of 18. The black bass that I have been catching are small10 to 14". When I take the boys, it is more of an outing, but they catch lots of small white and black bass, a few drum and gar, but they don't care about size. I fish Twin Buttes because it is close and not crowded. Ivie is probably a better fishing lake.
    Jim

13. turkey buzzard

turkey buzzard New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg,Texas
    Was there in August fishing was great caught blues to 30 lbs on stipped perch on stick floats. Was wondering how low the lake really is right now. Has any of the duck weed diminished any.

14. Fishwhisperer

Fishwhisperer New Member

State:
    TX
    last time i was there the hydrilla was a foot or two under the water not getting stuck on the prop like last summer but u could still see it waiting for warmer weather to grow back on the surface. i guess that stuff is going to take over the whole lake. i did get tired of going around it and just raised my moter up a little and cut through with no problems.

15. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    bluesbro,

The PM wouldn't go through. I will call my friend and give him your number if he is still looking.
    Jim

16. dageist

dageist New Member

State:
    Texas
    They've got 10/0, 11/0, 12/0, 14/0 etc, but no 13/0. Would one of the other sizes they have work?

17. turkey buzzard

State:
    Fredericksburg,Texas
    We are going to Ivie this weekend and setting out 15 lines just a one night trip. We are going to fish the main river in a cove.The river channel is in 42 feet of water. We will also at night fish for crappie and white bass. We will be in a pontoon boat.
    CArl

18. turkey buzzard

State:
    Fredericksburg,Texas
    Got skunked fishing for catfish using goldfish for bait.

Caught 30 whitebass and crappie in 40 feet of water fishing under lights with minnows.

Carl

19. Fishwhisperer

Fishwhisperer New Member

State:
    TX
    i went last night and got skunked also. i set out 10 lines with fresh shad and caught two crappie.haha! i baited me a spot and fished it with shrimp, perch, cut and whole shad, and danny kings. nada. i wonder where the cats where hiding?

20. Fishwhisperer

Fishwhisperer New Member

State:
    TX
    i was wondering how your buddy did on his guided trip?