Anyone fish just to set a world/State record?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by KansasKatCatcher, Aug 21, 2008.

1. KansasKatCatcher

KansasKatCatcher Active Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ka
    Just wondering if anyone of you guys only go out to break a state or world record. If any of yall do exist, what type of rod and reel setup do you guys have? Im talking for blues and flatheads only.What type of bait do you use. Do you always fish REALLY Deep always? If anyone fishes like this, im very interested to know what motivates you guys to fish the way you do?

2. Wvawitrado

Wvawitrado New Member

State:
    California, Fresno
    LOL FUNNY YOU ASK!!! I DO!!! I fish for the love and fun of it but im always somehow trying to land a larger than normal fish and you can say OH ME TOO and laugh and all that but I feel that I eventually will get some records in fishing whether it be line class or weight however....My set ups have nothing to do with the way I target the fish for me my equipment is more of GOT TO HAVE THEN A HAVE TO HAVE so im not a pro expert on that part but what I do know is that I fish few poles exclusively for larger than normal fish....MY THOUGHT PROCESS "THE BIGGER THE HOOK.....THE BIGGER THE BAIT......THE BIGGER THE FISH!!!! So for me I dont catch in numbers hardly at all cause if I do im in the wrong area because the bigguns do not hang out with the small ones they just cross paths if you catch one in the midst of small fish it was more of a chance then a location IMO...ANYWAYS I WILL GET MY RECORDS I HAVE BEEN TRYING FOR YEARS NOW AND NOW AM OPENING MY DOORS TO TYRING TO LAND A RECORD CATFISH ALSO SO GOOD LUCK TO ME LOL!!!

3. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    As long as im catching cats,its all good.Im always trying to beat my personal best and if i make a record in the process then thats just a bonus.

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Not me, I am not going to turn down the chance however. I would like to have my name in the books somewhere

5. lj catman

lj catman New Member

State:
    la junta,colorado
    sometimes they don't have big fish likes you guys have in texas, kansas,well you know what i mean. the biggest flathead for colorado state record is 8# now that's tiny to you's but i'll try to break it.

6. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    You lift out the MOST important part of a WORLD record what pound line do you use!!!!!! And is it adea's tournement line!!!!!!!!

7. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    A world record has nothing to do with the pole or reel ......it's what line you where using and a good video of the catch really help's too

8. KansasKatCatcher

KansasKatCatcher Active Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ka
    Especially what pound test do you use.Braid or mono? What size hook and bait do you use?

9. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    caught missouri state record on a book match size of cut shad on a 4'0 kahle hook with 20 lb test mono had out 4 poles that night 2 with live bait both shad and 1 other rod with a big shad head lol he bit the smaller rod and set up and bait lol wieghed 84 lbs on bathroom scales 82 lbs on farmers scales and over 33 hours later to get with MDC and find certified scales wieghed 77 lbs 8 ounces . also caught a 35 lber that night and a few channels .

have caught 2 other flatheads over 60 lbs and around 10 in the 50 lb range

all on rod and reel

i just go out to have fun and catch fish if it happens it happens i really dont give it much thought sure its nice but if i can catch enough fish to keep me buisy and entertained im a happy camper :big_smile::big_smile:

i tend to do the best when bymyself i think i relax more and can fish the way i want to and not worry what my dad thinks or others . my dad fishes with me alot and we argue alot :smile2::smile2: lol hes not real patient !! or willing to try new things or spots . took me 3 years to get him to give shallow water fishing a try like 1 to 3 foot . now he finally believes !!!! too many get hung up on a deep hole all the time . to me 80 % is ledges , structure , bends, shallow .

i fish 3 smaller lakes close to me 240 acres and less in size and most people would never believe what ive been able to catch out of them !!!!!

as far as rods ive used just about everything i can buy around here from garage sale stuff, wal mart , upper end bass pro stuff . to now i use catfish safari rods i own 5 lake rods and 5 flathead rods from steve brown at catfishsafari.com a BOC SPONSOR. i love his rods :wink:

i caught my state record flathead before i new steve on a wal mart spinning combo lol .

reels i like abu garcia bait casters the best 6000 and 7000 series.

line i run 30 to 40 lb mono i got several different brands lol

use braid for drift fishing in 30 lb test with 50 lb leader on mud flats mostly .

to tell you the truth im very surprised no body has beat my record yet i caught it in 2003 . so i know it wont last much longer .

i hope the person who catches it gives them many happy memories:big_smile::big_smile: !!!!!!! and that a child or grandchild is with them to enjoy the memories with :wink:

good luck yall god bless

10. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I think every one that fishes goes out with thoughts of record breaking fish dancing in their head. I also think most people realize that record breaking fish are something dreams are made of. Most go fishing either to fill their freezer or just to have a good time, and if one of the record breakers happen to bite, heck yah they'll catch it. Don't ever remember hearing anyone say: HAD A BAD DAY FISHING BECAUSE I DIDN'T BREAK A RECORD:wink:

11. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Every time I go out Im after the state record, too bad the fish dont know that :big_smile_2: