Anyone fish green river in Kentucky?

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by dengil, Dec 20, 2005.

1. dengil

dengil New Member

State:
    ky
    i have a friend in morgantown who has me hooked on river fishing. i live about a half mile from red river, but cats there run small. sometimes about 4 lb. but average maybe 2.
    fishing green river below rocchester dam chanels run 4-10, blues get as big as you want and the flats are eating the blues.
    can anyone tell me other places to put in a boat and catch some nice cats.
    also i keep hearing about "hot hole". i think its around the paridise steam plant. i hear its the place to go when the temp drops lice today. can anyone tell me how to get there?
    i have really enjoyed this site. thanks for the welcome.

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Welcome to the BOC, my river fishing Brother, LOL!!! I fish the northern end of the green and have been fairly successfull. I am not sure here you are but , I would sure try to find that hot spot you are talking about. That has to be a good place to find them this time of year.

3. dengil

dengil New Member

State:
    ky
    by north end i guess you mean around the ohio. i know a few people who fish in or around the ohio. one of my friends from russellville drowned at smithland a couple of months ago. i've never made it that far but i plan to this coming spring. i was told the middle to last of march is the time to hit the ohio river where green and barren dump into it. any info you can give will be put to good use. hope to run into you soon. dennis

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    If you make it up this way let me know and we might just get a line wet together. March is a great time for blues in the green on this end. I live in Henderson.

5. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Anybody been fishing the green lately. Hows the fishing been this winter.

6. catfish joe

catfish joe New Member

State:
    louisville kentucky
    Welcome to the BOC...Ive got kin in cental city and they fish green alot ive heard there r monsters in there ive been wanting to get down there myself and fish it.

7. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    I have heard the stories but I have never seen the fish. Maybe one of these days. I am sure there are some big ole cats in there.

8. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    i live about 20 minutes for the green river. the section i am closests to is below lock 5 . i have caught alot of channels and some decent flats but nothing really to brag about. the water is skinny in this section of the river. it gets not much bigger than a creek in spots. now the section between lock 5 and 6 is a different story. good water there.a couple 30-40 foot holes. i have fished it a few times back when i still had my jon boat but i never really got to fish it like i want to. maybe i can get out there this year. if i could only drag myself away from that dang ohio!!! hahahaha!

9. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Keith, I believe the state record came from Butler county. SOmewhere!!! They say there are some hawg flats in there. I need to find out.

10. smells like old liver!

smells like old liver! New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I was in morgantown today(bulter county)there sign says catfish capital of the world they have a catfish festival ever year. I was talking to some guys at a bait store they said put in at rodchester boat dock they thought there was better flathead fishing in that area. I've never fished it but plan on it the spring
    anyone knowing of any good spots and would like to go just let me and well put the hurts on old man catty.

11. Knoxcats

Knoxcats New Member

State:
    Knoxville, TN
    I used to live in Owensboro and fished the Green River alot. I've been down to Morgantown and fished the old dam there, but caught most of my fish either at the last dam near the highway 60 bridge or at an old ferry crossing. Used to catch some nice blues and flatheads, but that was back between 1987 and 1992.

I moved back to Tennessee in the summer of 1992.

12. Knoxcats

Knoxcats New Member

State:
    Knoxville, TN
    Slimcat...

Empty your PM box and I'll answer your message.

13. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Knoxcats, I emptied my PM box. What did you think of the fishing on the green?

14. glenmorebuckman

glenmorebuckman New Member

State:
    Caneyville, Ken
    I live right across the road from lock 5 and do quite a bit of fishing in the spring, between locks 5 and 6.I catch mostly flatheads 8-20 pounds and a few channels, biggest about 10 pounds. I catch a few crappie every now and then.I started fishing below lock 5 in my boat last fall for walleye, but you really have to watch it down there when your in a bigger boat , it's like trying to thread a needle in some spots and the water is so shallow at the boat ramp I sometimes have to get out and drag the boat.

15. smells like old liver!

smells like old liver! New Member

State:
    kentucky
    are there any good bank fishing holes? and directions?
    thanks

16. Myname

Myname New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    The hothole is the hot water discharge from the Paradise steam plant. There is a steel dam seperating the discharge from the river. Lot of cats, lot of carp, whole lot of gar. I've caught a lot of cats there, and I've also been skunked at times.

Your best bet to find the hothole is to put in at Rochester and head down river - 4 to 5 miles. Steam plant will be on your left. There is a boat ramp about a quarter mile below the plant, but there is no way I could give you directions to it, unless you already know the area.

Hope this helps.

Have a nice day.

17. glenmorebuckman

State:
    Caneyville, Ken
    To get to lock 5 , take hwy. 185 north out of Bowling Green or south out of Caneyville to hwy. 1749 near the Green river bridge. It will be right as you pass over the bridge if you are going south, and right before if you are going north. You will turn off 185 onto 1749 then make an immediate left ,you are still on 1749. There is a boat ramp about 75 yards straight ahead. This is where you put in if you want to take a boat below the dam. Just go upstream about 3/4-1 mile, but it is very shallow here and all the way to the dam, and there are riffles when it's down so be careful. There are some large rocks in there to. If you want to fish above lock 5, after you make the left onto 1749 just go about 1 mile until you reach a sharp curve, there is a gravel road that goes to the left (Lock 5 Rd.). There is a boat ramp at the end. There is also a pull-off spot that will take you below lock 5 if you want to fish from the bank. If you have 4x4 you can take the old road, at the pull-off, over the hill and it will get you a little closer. It's about 8 miles up stream to lock 6 at Brownsville.

18. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    How shallow is the green up that way? I always heard its the deepest river in the country, I have yet to find any water over 40'. How far up do barges travel? Are the flatheads decent size up that far?

19. glenmorebuckman

State:
    Caneyville, Ken
    Below lock 5 it can run from 2-4 feet in the summer from the ramp to the dam. When the dam at Morgantown broke it dropped the river a bunch up this far.There are a couple of holes that run about 12-14 feet .Always wanted to try them but haven't had a chance yet. Above lock 5 up to lock 6 it probably averages 24 feet, but there are some 30-40 foot holes.

20. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i live in hart co. and i fish green all the time.the thing i like about green is you never know what your going to catch.