Anyone fish for bullheads????

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by lswoody, May 14, 2009.

1. lswoody

lswoody Member

State:
    Alabama
    I started back fishing this lake that is about 60 acres in size. I use to jug fish it at nite and would catch alot of brown bull head cats. They were never more than 15" or so long but them jokers were fat!!!!!! I took a few home to try to eat. They have red meat and taste alright. I talked to a guy and he told me to soak the meat in salt water for an hour at a time, change the water add some more salt, do this about 3-4 times then cook it. It really makes a difference and I can't much tell the difference between it and a channel cat. Good fishin, Scott Woody

2. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    yeah thats as big as bullheads get they dont get real big but they taste pretty good if prepared right.I normally dont fish for them specifically but i catch them sometimes when trying to get some eater channels.

3. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I started out fishing for them when I was younger. At that time, I didnt know a channel from a blue from a flathead. I sure as heck didnt know that there was other catfish that got so big...i thought that bullheads were it!:smile2:

4. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I catch a few Bullheads while fishing for bluegills. I use them for flathead baits.:eek:oooh:

5. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Welcome to the BOC Scott!
    I dont fish for them much but I sure as hell catch alot of them! Upper Potomac River is full of them!

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I have and they taste great.

7. j-mack

j-mack New Member

State:
    michigan
    I know of a gravel pit by my mothers where you can catch bullheads that will be bigger than any you've ever seen. My uncle and me were fishing at night a few years ago and just started catching them left and right. We couldn't believe there size, we both love to catfish and at first we thought they were channels. These things were well over a pound. He cleaned three (gutted and steaked out) and said he got 16 pieces of fish. It's been a couple of years since i've fished for them there but next week I'll try again for sure. I'll post again if I have any luck:wink: