Anyone fish any major lakes in eastern Nebraska?

Discussion in 'NEBRASKA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by JakeW, Jul 30, 2006.

1. JakeW

JakeW New Member

State:
    Fremont, NE
    the only lakes that come to mind is branched oaks and summit, both have good fish population, i havent been to either in years and wanted to know if anybody has been hitting them at all? please let me know. jake

2. catfish_jordan

catfish_jordan New Member

State:
    Lincoln,NE
    red willow out west by mcCook is a fantastic lake. in two days i caught 7 different species of fish.:big_smile:

3. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    planning on taking a trip to sherman reservoir, not really eastern nebraska but excellent fishing and worth the drive.

4. suddawg

suddawg New Member

In the Omaha area, you got Zorinsky, Wehrspann, Walnut Creek, and probably another couple that I'm missing.

As a teenager one of the hottest spots for myself and TA2D to go fishing was Kirkman's Cove near Humboldt. It allways produced great fishing, but it was drained and redone about a decade ago, and fishing is starting to get good again down there.

SudDawg

5. kyhawk

kyhawk New Member

State:
    Kearney, Nebras
    summit has been pretty good lately...the blueguills really easy to catch for bait...they've been biting on shrimp, cut blueguill, liver, and nightcrawlers...best time has been in the middle of the nite...during the day, drifting has been fair too...

6. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    Greetings all. Memphis State park is just a short drive from Omaha. I have been there several times this past summer, and I have caught some nice blues. Not a good lake to take a boat, though. Memphis needs a good three to four feet of water in it. But it is a productive lake when using the stink bait, and good old fashioned night crawlers.

7. Mauer

Mauer New Member

State:
    *Required*
    lets hear some updates..

8. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    I went to Wagon Train yesterday. I took my dad, my brother-in-law, a good friend, and his son. Everyone caught something but me. I was baited for catfish, with chicken livers and stink bait. All my other buddys were using crawlers and were catching bluegills. They were also able to catch a large mouth bass. My buddy's son caught the most, at 15 bluegill, and one large mouth. Even though I didn't catch any fish, I still had a great time.

9. catfishsteve

catfishsteve New Member

State:
    Omaha, NE
    It's been a bit slow around Omaha/Lincoln the past few weeks. Hopefully the fall bite will pick up soon. It was really hot the last part of August around Omaha and Lincoln at night. :tounge_out:

10. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    I agree Steve! The fishing has been good, but only after dark, and most of the places around here lock up at 10:00! Walnut creek has been producing som cats 5 pounds and up, but again after the sun goes down. I wish some of these lakes would stay open to mature, responsible adults all night long! Wait, do I qualify!:eek:oooh:

11. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Hopefully the fishing is better Friday or Saturday. I know TA2D and myself are tired of the little ones and catching dozens of Gar and Turtles.

SudDawg

12. riverfishing

riverfishing New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    i like to go to zorinsky and walnut creek..... hotdogs with cheese in the middle works really good for me at both places....

13. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    I posted some photos here somewhere on this site, at Walnut Creek, I caught some large mouth bass on cheesy hot dogs! I was soooooo surprised! Ive seen guys bring in big blues (8 pounds is big from what Ive seen) down there off livers.

I gotta get out to Zorinsky! I went there when it first opened, and got skunked every time. But that was several years ago!

Good fishing to ya!

Kenny

14. riverfishing

riverfishing New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    yeah haha cheezy hotdogs work really good there ive got about a 5 lb chanel there its pretty good