Anyone finding any bait?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by hardtime, Sep 29, 2009.

1. hardtime

hardtime New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Just curious as to what and/or where all the bait went? Been hearing it's damn hard finding shad. We plan on heading down to St. Charles Friday and was curious if anyone down that way has had any luck with finding bait? ... other than carp.

Thanks.

2. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    Swing by the dam on the way up there...cast a net

3. hardtime

hardtime New Member

State:
    Missouri
    What dam? I'll be coming from Gerald.

4. 1 catbuster

1 catbuster New Member

State:
    Union Mo
    i am in union if you want some shad i have some nice shad from this weekend

5. hardtime

hardtime New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I work til 6p the next few days but if it wouldn't be a problem, drop em' off at Mistler's on 47 there in Union. My Uncle owns the business and lives in Owensville. He can drop them by on his way thru. Otherwise, I can catch you after hours. I really appreciate it!!!!

6. Mosin

Mosin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Had the same problem today, 1 hour of netting left me with two shad. Enough to get in about 15min of fishing, before the gar got em. Will maybe try to catch some bluegill before I head out tomorrow.

7. 1 catbuster

1 catbuster New Member

State:
    Union Mo
    I can drop them off at Mistler's how late is your uncle there

8. hardtime

hardtime New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Should be there until 5. Do you know where its at?

9. 1 catbuster

1 catbuster New Member

State:
    Union Mo
    yes by the old batting cage. what is his name? I will drop them off about 11 AM.
    how much you need

10. 1 catbuster

1 catbuster New Member

State:
    Union Mo
    left a bag of shad with your uncle

11. hardtime

hardtime New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks a bunch. If you ever need anything as you pass thru Gerald, just let me know.

GPD

12. jnordyke

jnordyke Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    So, anyway, the issue still seems to be "where's the shad" Since they eat the same stuff, has the asian carp population finally gotten big enough to crowd 'em out? Are shad doomed?

13. 1 catbuster

1 catbuster New Member

State:
    Union Mo
    I don't think shad are doomed but it has been a strange year cool temps lots of rain unstable water levels The bait fish are out there just not always where you might think they should be or have found them in the past. I will not fish 9 months of the year without fresh bait and have been able to find one or another. shad, mooneye,or skipjack. I have been able set aside bait for winter and give some away. If you let us know what water you will be fishing. Someone will let you know where the bait is.

14. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    Oops...okay, my bad

15. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

State:
    St. Louis, MO
    Can you catch skippies or mooneye by rod and reel this time of year? I plan to go out this coming Saturday, and was wondering if I can try rod/reel for em? Versus throwing my net 50,000 times for maybe 4 - 6! :confused2:

I even thought about adding another 8' of line to me my throw net so it has a 20' tether on it versus standard 12' or whatever it comes with. That way it will drop deeper in the water?