Anyone familiar with this reel?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by 223Smitty, May 18, 2006.

1. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
  2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Looks like a good reel,IMO for the money the ABU 7000 is a hard reel to beat,and you can get it a lil cheaper.It really depends on what you like and feel comfortable with.

3. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'm already getting an AG 7000 for my new Ugly Stik, I just ran across this one searching around, I like the drag set-up on it, plus being a salt-water reel, I'd think (but could very-well be wrong) it'd have to be alittle tougher reel. My 2nd reel will be a Penn. But I like to plan-ahead :wink:
    Smitty

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
  5. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    seems to be ok but its not made for casting just trolling

6. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Why do you think that? I don't know squat about saltwater, but here's a quote from the remarks about the reel:

Casting: Casting, mooching, and even trolling requires the Charter Special to be set into freespool. This is done by pulling the lever drag all the way back towards you. When the lever reaches the 9:00 position the reel clicks into freespool. Once in freespool the reel casted exceptionally well in our tests, and handled heavy jigs with no difficulty at all. By thumbing the spool it is possible to toss jigs without any fear of backlashes. One of the reasons that the Charter Special casts as well as it does is because the reel features a non disengaging levelwind, this means that when the reel is set in freespool the levelwind continues to remain engaged. With the levelwind tracking back and forth during the cast, the line angle friction is greatly reduced versus the friction normally generated if the levelwind had remained stationary. This simple feature allows anglers to cast weighty lures farther with less effort.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Sounds like a caster to me?
    Smitty

7. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thats what I thought,I read the part about casting.I don't think you'd be one bit sorry if you bought it.If you do get it,let us know how it works.

8. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    lol....if I do....it'll be the 3rd reel from now :big_smile:

Smitty

9. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    You can never have too many reels,well my other half says differently.

10. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Ooch, think I'll have to go after another reel next year. Looks like a pretty awesome reel, especially for crappie or bluegills.

11. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    lol.....I'd like to see a pic of your catfish reel then :big_smile:

Smitty

12. tocold4u2

tocold4u2 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i have a reel like that it`s 10 years older , still works like new , they are decent in my opinion,,i let bigones use it the other day ,,,the only thing is that you have to remember to flip that lever before crossing the fishes eyes or you`ll be sorry,,,,,lol,i watched my cousin do it,,,,what a backlash!!!!!
    they cast really good!!!:smile2:

13. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I agree,it would be an awesome reel for bluegill or crappie...when their on an 8/0 hook as bait!!!

14. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Hey what ever trips your trigger works for me. I have a couple reels here that I payed that for. My problem is it is New. I personally like that tried and true method before investing. I'm not saying buy a used reel, I'm saying I'd like some more information on performance and castability(?) from other users. About all I use are level winds, and yes I've had my share of "smokin thumb", bird nest makin, casting junkers. But I still Love my level winds. Go for it, if it is what you want, let us know how you get along with it, you are the only one it has to please!:0a14:
    Don

15. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Go for it trapper!! shimano makes some good stuff. The only question I would have is dose it have a bait clicker? some folks like them when fishing Flats and Blues. Good luck Bigcatman0816.

16. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Oh, it wasn't something I'd planned on rushing out & getting....just checking into some info on it. Good ? about the baitclicker though. Cabelas has the same reel ($150 :crazy: ), but their catalog doesn't mention it either.

I'm following the majority advice (from another post I'd made), and going to start-out with the Abu 7000 for my 1st "serious" cat reel.

Thanks all for the advice/input!
    Smitty

17. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    yep it has a clicker...

Lightweight Graphite frame and sideplates, aluminum spool, lever drag, counter balanced handle, clicker, and non disengaging levelwind

18. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    If it is half as good as there TLD15 there is no way you will be let down. I just don't like level winds.

19. Raypo

Raypo New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    It seems kind of high for a four bearing reel.... I dont know

20. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Cabelas has it for $119 the $150 is the r&r combo price. A heads up not all penns have a cast brake and I dont believe any lever drag reels have a cast brake. So if your not into using your thumb alot when casting LD may not be for you. I havent got to use my penn LD mutch yet but from what ive noticed backlashes aint fun with them you either have to turn on the clicker (loud) turn on the drag a little (hard to pull) or thumb it while pulling it out (pain). none of witch are fun in heavy current when you dont want to let a bunch of line out>