Anyone ever used the abu garcia bg9000?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by jugliner, Dec 3, 2007.

1. jugliner

jugliner New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I am new to the big cat rode fishing but, am trying to get my facts. So if you can respond to any of my ???? I will be thankfull. Don
    1. what line do you sugest lbs brand
    2. What rod length make ect...
    3. line rigging ect..
    4. bait sugg..
    5. depth aver..

2. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    I have had a BG 9000 for a year now and must say I don't have any complaints about it. As far as your other questions a little more info would really help out. What kind of fish are you targeting, lake or river, bank or boat?

3. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Never tried the BG 9000 specifically...but I do have several other models...and IMO ya can't go wrong with Abu.

More specific questions regarding where/when/what you'll be fishing for perhaps would help you out in the responses you'll get....and how they relate to what you're wanting to know.

In the meantime...you're stuck with what I give ya...Lol.

I primarily fish a shallow rocky river mostly for flathead and blue cats which routinely exceed 40 lb...but average more like 10-20 lb.

For this I in general typically use 18 lb diameter/65 lb test Power Pro braid line....or Trilene Big Game 20-50 lb monofilament. (Depends on the specific application)

As a general rule...the smaller the diameter...the better and longer it will cast. If tensile strength is a major concern like it is here...then go with the braid due to its smaller diameter and higher tensile strength comparable to the diameter of mono.

However...if abrasion resistance is a must...and you dont have to cast very far...mono is superior to braid when it comes to resisting the nicks, cuts, and scrapes that rocks, stumps, logs, and brush dish out.

As far as rod length...that too depends on the application.

If I'm casting long distances, or walking my bait downstream with the current I prefer a long rod...10-12'.

If I'm fishing short distance...I prefer a 7-8' rod due to its being more suited for manuevering around within the boat...as well as its propensity to better handle a hard fight due to its increased leverage against a heavier fish.

As far as rigging...MOST of my presentations are Carolina rigged.

Although I might also use a 3 way rig in the right situation...such as targeting suspended fish...or when I NEED to keep my bait off the bottom to avoid weeds or snags.

Bait is really gonna come down to what you fish for...but my best advice would be to match the hatch whever you're fishing.

If shad are the mainstay...then cast net you a few and have at it. Same goes with bluegill, shiners, creek chubs, crawdads, ect.

Depth is gonna come down to where the fish are...OR better yet...where the BAITFISH are. Find them...and 9 of 10 times...you've found the predators that eat them....or at the very least WHERE they WILL be when they do get hungry.

Most of all...keep track of what works for you in a journal. This gives you an idea of what you caught your fish on in a specific area a year...what the conditions were, ect....and allows you to dig a little deeper when the fish aren't biting and helps you to remember to try thingds that DID work in the past in similar conditions.

4. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I got a 9000BG last year and use it primarily for snagging spoonbills. I use it when I want to use like 40lbs or above. I use my 7000s for 25 to 30lb line, and my 6000/6500s for 17 to 25lb line. Works great for me and gives me an excuse to have more toys, LOL.

I've actually found that my 9000 will throw farther, easier than my 7000, but you do have to keep up on it as it has no brakes. If you can throw a 7000 easily, then the 9000 will be no problem. It's a great reel!

5. jugliner

jugliner New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    First of all thanks for the info. I fish mainly around Lake Tenkiller hear in oklahoma and Webbers falls dam. Keep in mind this is all new to me so nothing could be to remedial. Shad is the main food source although they are hard to catch in the winter time. And as far as what kind of catfish im after. I guess any that bite would be the answer. Drifting at the dam to will probably be what I do but, what depth do I need to stay in as the river channel is very deep about 35 to 40 ft. and there are alot of possible snags in the shallow i have had problems with. Don

6. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    If your asking if you should get the 9000 or not. Then I would say don't get the 65$ 9000. The drag is jerky and is not smooth at all. Now if you are talking about the 9000i go ahead and get that. The 9000i is the new reel with a far better drag system. The whole reel is smooth just like the 7000c3i. Did i mention the handle is better too. As far as line I have 40# mouno on mine. I fish 3-way rigs and carolina rigs with mine. I also use 7'6" and 8' rods for all my fishing.

7. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    well for $15 you can get the new carbontex to put in the $65 reel

8. bclumsky

bclumsky New Member

State:
    kansas city
    I had the 9000 bg but it broke within a month or 2 abu replaced it with a 9000i and it is by far a better reel. just like crazy said.

9. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I remember that thing, It sounded awful when you casted it!!!! sounded like it was going to fly apart.

the 9000i is a much better reel, they improved a lot more then just the drag. Instant anti reverse is nice too

10. catfishsafari

catfishsafari New Member

State:
    missouri
    For a few more bucks you can get a 7000i. Or the same money get a good Penn.

I think we need to start a " buy bclumsky a new rain jacket for Christmas fund raiser ".

11. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    poor ben and his rain gear

He does need some better stuff. He fishes with Me a lot and I don't care about a little rain. (I have Cabela's gortex guidewear....I'm always dry....LOL)

I'll donate $5 to bens cause. now we just have to come up with the other $215 and He'll have a real rain jacket

12. bclumsky

bclumsky New Member

State:
    kansas city
    hey my rain gear keeps me 5% dry and good enough for me.

13. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I know I had a abu 10000 once and it was way over kill for my type of fishing..The 9000 is just a tad smaller..I have actually caught my biggest fish on 6500's, but prefer a little more line capacity.

14. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I have two of the BG9000's mounted on 7' Tiger rods, I like them. I bought a 9000I this week to go on a new 7' Blackhorse rod. The 9000I comes with a carbon matrix drag along with a number of other improvements over the BG9000 but like stated before you can get better drag washers to upgrade any reel at SMOoOTH DRAG.

15. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    The smooth drag washers are just going to be a bandaid. The reel still has other problems. Hey though I have caught fish on mine and I still have it on a rod. It's just the reel I hand guest. The abu i reels are just a far better reel. No matter how much upgrading you do to the old abu's it's not going to be the same.