Anyone ever used Crappie as bait?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Guthooked, Mar 23, 2007.

1. Guthooked

Guthooked New Member

State:
    Ga
    I have access to a pond overstocked with stunted crappie. I am wondering if anyone has ever used crappie as bait and if they were as hardy as a bream on the hook. Before anyone gets their drawers in a wad it is legal to use any game fish for bait here in Ga as long as you don't exceed daily creel and possession limits.

2. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    They work great for Flatheads but check your local laws as is many states crappy are considered a game fish and can not be used as bait unless they meet the creel limit as far as size.

3. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Here in Ohio any fish caught on a rod and reel is legal to use for bait if it meets all other size and creel limits. I love big river crappie they seem to fight harder and stay alive longer than a pond bait in the hot months july and aug. But I use them and they are my second favorite after live shad. Flatheads love em, I say use them. Pond bass are also a good bait if you catch any of those along the way.

4. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    I have used them and had some luck with them. They draw back on them is they don't live every long on the hook. They are arenot as hardy as bluegill.

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I agree with all the above. I've done well with them for flatties! If their big enough though,I eat them myself.:lol:

6. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I find crappies hard to cast far due to them having fragile lips and jaws. So I decided I won't waste a fish like that.

But many guys here swear by them.

7. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    I see you must be fishing from shore. From a boat i usally don't have that problem. I just hook them through the back. On reason I like using them because they will stay alive in deeper water then bream. The only draw back is that they don't move around like bream.

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Here in Alabama u cant use Crappie for bait here, its a gamefish. The only gamefish u can use for bait here is bream.

9. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Same problem her CJ. Don't get me wrong, I know guys who live for crappie, but, to me......just a glorified panfish.

10. KSflatheadKING3511

KSflatheadKING3511 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    i have used crappie guts and crappie sides and caught some decent blues(12# my biggest) at a local resivor and have heard of some nice flatties on live regulation size crappie, altough i've never used a live crappie for bait

11. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    In Mississippi crappie have to be so big before you can keep them that I ain't about to use em for bait I'm gona fry and eat em my self.

12. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    if its legal then go for it flatties love them have caught some real good blues on live crappie also.

13. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    I AGREE THAT YOU NEED TO CHECK LOCAL REGULATIONS ON THIS SUBJECT. I HAVE SEEN A FEW FELLOWS HERE IN INDIANA THE SWEAR BY YOUNG CRAPPIE FOR FLATHEADS AND HAVE SEEN SOME REAL MONSTERS TAKEN WITH THEM.

14. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i have never used crappie because of the legal issue, but i've seen quite a few in channel, blue, and flatheads' stomachs.