Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
188 Posts
I don't see how you would get them to stay on the hook.
If you want to buy small fish to use for bait why not buy some big live shiners? You can use them live or dead, whole or cut, and they catch fish.

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't see how you would get them to stay on the hook.
If you want to buy small fish to use for bait why not buy some big live shiners? You can use them live or dead, whole or cut, and they catch fish.

why wouldn't they stay on the hook? they're whole fish in a can. and as for shiners, can't get em where i'm at.

· Registered
955 Posts
why wouldn't they stay on the hook? they're whole fish in a can. and as for shiners, can't get em where i'm at.

They dont, trust me. I thought the same thing....stinky oily fish should be awesome. They are so soft they fall apart when you try to stick a hook in them. I suppose you could use some panty hose and put them on the hook that way, but that sounds like a pain (tried that route with other baits). If you cant buy shiners, go get you a minnow trap. Put a slice of bread in it and let it sit for a while in some shallow water (i catch most at the boat ramp). This is how i get most of my live bait. If you dont wanna go that route, you can always buy goldfish if legal to use in your state. Go to walmart or a pet store and buy some cheap "feeder" goldfish.

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They dont, trust me. I thought the same thing....stinky oily fish should be awesome. They are so soft they fall apart when you try to stick a hook in them. I suppose you could use some panty hose and put them on the hook that way, but that sounds like a pain (tried that route with other baits). If you cant buy shiners, go get you a minnow trap. Put a slice of bread in it and let it sit for a while in some shallow water (i catch most at the boat ramp). This is how i get most of my live bait. If you dont wanna go that route, you can always buy goldfish if legal to use in your state. Go to walmart or a pet store and buy some cheap "feeder" goldfish.

Ok, thanks guys for the feedback. I've never eaten those things, so I didn't realize they would be that mushy. I do have a minnow trap, and i've tried using the bread thing. Let it set next to the dock for hours, and didn't get a single fish in it, eventhough they were in the area. Ended up catching some with a cast net, but thats tough.

· Registered
955 Posts
Ok, thanks guys for the feedback. I've never eaten those things, so I didn't realize they would be that mushy. I do have a minnow trap, and i've tried using the bread thing. Let it set next to the dock for hours, and didn't get a single fish in it, eventhough they were in the area. Ended up catching some with a cast net, but thats tough.

Try new things with your minnow trap. Maybe a different bait, like dried dog food. I've found that white bread outcatches wheat bread by a mile (for me anyways). Try different depths, or locations. The other day i was using 2 minnow traps in the same stream, one caught all my bait, the other only had 1 minnow. I have better luck at the boat ramp if i can set it on the concrete just barely submerged (shallow water). I tried down the dock farther, but it didn't do much. Try something you haven't tried yet, even if it seems trivial and not much different, the results might suprise you. If that still doesn't work, maybe try one of those umbrella type nets. You put bait in the middle, lower it down, and when the minnows are overtop you pull the rope and they get trapped in the edge flaps.

· Registered
4,103 Posts
as with fishing bait catching is about location location location! find a creek or stream coming into the lake or nearby and put your traps there, I'm talking a couple feet wide and a foot or two deep,if you can find a narrow spot in the channel that will bring all critters righrt through your trap thats where you want it. no bait needed if you set it in the right spot, when I do bait the trps dry cat food seems to work the best for me, I make a pouch out of 1/4 inch hardware cloth and fill it 3/4 full of dry cat food, after it sits awhile it will swell up and push some out through the wire and leave a large "bag" of bait to attract the baitfish in the trap.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.