anyone ever use eagle claw octopus circle hooks?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by readingcatfisher, Dec 2, 2008.

1. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    if so any input would be great I am contemplating ordering some of these hooks due to the cheap price one downfall is the largest size was 7/0 11.99 per 50 pack doesn't sound bad if they are big enough to hold a live sunny

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I havne't used the octopus circle, but I was using some other Eagle Claw circles last year, and had a problem with them straightening out, even on some fish that should never have been able to do that. I don't remember the model number, but I trashed them and now use Gamakatsu circles almost exclusively; really like the wide gap in them. I do use Owner circles sometimes and have had no problem with them.

3. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I'm currently using Eagle Claw, Kahle's hooks in 7/0-10/0, I like them a lot. Order from Bass Pro Shop..
    I don't use a lot of circles, and have found with the kahles that i can set the hook, or the fish can set the hook.
    Anyhow, like the Eagle claw stuff.:big_smile:

4. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    ive used ec circles and have had good luck with them and say go for it.

5. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I tried them and gave them to a buddy and he felt about the same way. The wire on the hook is large for the hook size which increases the weight the perch has to swim with. They will work but I know there are better hooks out there. I prefer the Gamakatsu octopus circle hooks 8/0, the wire is light and the hook is super strong. I have picked up several boxes on ebay for $8 pre 25 and got a box of 50 for in the teen's a few times. Now for a good hook in a low price range I like the eagle claw lazer sharp kahle hook in 5/0. $5 bucks and you get 50 and they work good. Just fyi

6. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    The Eagle Claw Lazer Sharp Octopus Circles are good. I have not had any issues. And they should have them in at least 8/0 Or I know I have a few that size.
    I still use a few circles. But after going to the Sickle hooks. I have about stopped using a circle hook.
    Pete

7. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Wow the hook weigh's that much ???:smile2: I don't think so maybe try using bigger bait :eek:oooh:

8. CarolinaCatJack

CarolinaCatJack New Member

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    I used to use the Eagle Claw 6/0 circle hooks, but I'm had the same problem as Tommy.....They wanted to straighten out on me when a big fish hit it. Now I use Gamakatsu 6/0 and 8/0 circles. They're a little more pricey than others, but you get what you pay for. To me, they're WAY better than the EC's.

9. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Hum the eagle claw oct circles i have are identical to the gamma's i can set one on top of the other and unless you knew what you were looking at you wouldnt know witch was witch. wire size and bend are identical the only visable differance is the ec is flattened out a smidge were the hook point bends in.

10. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    sounds like some have their drags set a little tight:roll_eyes::wink::big_smile: i dont think i can recall straightning a 7/0 hook on a fish:eek:oooh:

11. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    The ones I bought were alot bigger wire size that the gamaktsu I use. I did not really look that close to them till I got them home but they were at least three to four times bigger. I did not ever look at the model # but it said Eagle Claw Lazer Sharp Octopus Circles. I live near the coast maybe they were a saltwater version of the hook but if you seen them you would see what I meant. I thought they were the only one they made. Never even wanted to look at another box of them! Maybe they build a good one but oh well?

12. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    ya they got all kinds of different model hooks. i got some circle sea s that are pretty nice but the wire size goes up as the size does within reason. the king kat hooks made by ec are a fn joke those things should be welded together to use as a boat anchor :roll_eyes:

13. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i use the e c hooks and ive had no problem with them and i use 13 foot xx heavy surf rods and 80 lb.power pro.

14. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
  15. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    well I should be getting those Eagle claws today I hope they aren't crappy if I can catch 2-3 fish with each hook it's still worth the price

16. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I really don't like them at all. I bought a bunch of them for cheap and you get what you pay for. It's a giant pain in the rectum to have to sharpen a dang circle hook. That's why I just get the Gam. 8/0 circles and I'm done with it. No sharpening and the tip stays sharper for longer and the wire is a lot smaller on the Gama than the EC. I'm not saying they won't catch fish but in the end a cheaper hook is a cheaper hook. I wish Owners weren't so expensive but oh well.

17. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    the wire didn't seem any thinner than a gama only a hair smaller than a gama 8/0 and its a 7/0 50 hooks for 11 bucks I just don't see the down side of this but then again I haven't used them yet

18. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    ive used the circle sea hooks and they are not worth a crap,they feel like there made from aluminum lol. I also find there not real strong and not very sharp,i also miss more fish on those then on the gama hooks.

19. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Did you get them on E-Bay? If so the ones they are selling are not Eagle Claws. I bought a bunch of them. And shoot they bend easy. But the Lazer Sharps I have well if you bend one of them. You have hooked up with a truck.
    Pete

20. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    no I ordered them from Cabela's they do seem a little thin but 50 count for 11 bucks if I catch 1 fish that straightens out one hook a little thats ok I'll gladly cut it off and retie:wink: