anyone ever use coat-it?

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by bigBB, Feb 4, 2008.

1. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO
    hey guys, i have an old riveted jon boat and am getting ready to paint it etc. I came across this product and it seams like it would be a good idea to seal the bottom of the boat with it. Does anyone have any experience with it?

http://www.eclecticproducts.com/coatit.htm

2. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I tried numerous epoxies,coatings and paints in the 70's and 80's on riveted John Boat leaks as I had 3 different size of them.They got hard and separated or cracked as riveted boats flex and they would not.They did make my boats heavier and were expensive.I found that setting the leaking rivets a little more,cleaning the leaking spots with Colman fuel (Naphtha) and then rubbing alcohol,then a light smear of Silicone Aquarium cement worked for me.If and when it went back to leaking,I just did it again.I did it inside and out at every leak.

I would set my boats right side up on saw horses and put a little water in it and and prop it here and there to get the water on part of the bottom at the time,let it set a while and mark the leaks.I would then shift the boat to get the water to move to another area and do it again.DO NOT leave the boat unattended where water can accumulate from rain,snow ice or KIDS.The weight of the excess water is BAD,BAD,BAD and worse than bad!It does not take but a little water to weigh enough on the unsupported bottom to ruin your boat!The reason it is riveted is that it is light thin aluminum and light thin aluminum is extremely hard to get a good weld due to the welding heat making it flex and move.Welded and riveted boats each have their place and weight is/was the big factor.They would have welded up airplanes instead of riveting them had it been practical.

I hope they have something that works now.I was assured that this and that would work,but I ended up with a lot of wasted,time,work,money and frustration all for nothing on 3 different boats.I hope you have better luck.

Let us know what you do and how it works so we can all learn.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

3. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO
    thanks peewee.. yeah i'm not sold.. and really i was thinking it would prevent leaks down the road more than a need right now.. they claim that stuff will flex with the boat.. we'll see have to give it some more thought.. hopefully someone has used it and has an opinion.

4. ouachita

ouachita New Member

State:
    Texas
    I don't know much about Coat-t but I have been looking into a similar product called SteelFlex for the bottom of my jon boat. I was looking for something to protect the bottom of my 36 yr old aluminum boat and to help seal also. This stuff is used mostly on airboats and on mudmotor boats. I figured it would work for a fishing and occasional duck hunting boat that is treated fairly gently.

5. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    never heard of it but would like to know the outcome !!!

6. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    Had an old riveted boat and I got a gallon of that bed liner coating and rolled it on. It sealed it off and really helped on the scratches and all from all the abuse I put it through.

7. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO
    I've got some of the coat-it on the way.. should be putting it on this weekend..i'll take some pics and let you guys know how it goes.. of course only time will tell how it works.

8. cat stalker

cat stalker New Member

State:
    missouri
    A friend of mine rolled some of that bed liner thats like rino lining
    on the inside of his jon boat. Stopped the leaks, and also gave him
    an easy to clean slip resistant floor.

9. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I would recommend spray in bed liner on the inside of the boat. There is a lot of options now for self applicated versions that are affordable.

10. Spills

Spills New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well, Bryan and I got the Coat-It on the boat. Looks like it doesn't quite spread the way that they say it will, if you're going to use it buy extra. I will say it's tuff stuff, seems like it's pretty flexible, I guess we will see how it holds up over time. I'll get some pics up soon so you can see what it looks like.

11. stump jumper

stump jumper New Member

State:
    illinois
    auto zone truck bed liner get a buddy to help smack all the rivets down paint on the liner and done my leaks have gone fishing and leaveing me alone and a plus when it gets wet it has super traction

12. stump jumper

stump jumper New Member

State:
    illinois
    be sure that no matter what you put on scratch the metal , sand it , rough wire wheel , and some degreaser,if you have a smooth spot or dirty it will pop off

13. Spills

Spills New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Here is what it looked like before we put on a little more in some thin spots. Also it seems to hold paint well. Still haven't put the boat in the water yet, but from what I can tell this stuff is pretty strong and still has some flex too it. We'll see what happens.

Attached Files: