Anyone ever try this spot on Old Hickory?

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by 01ssrms, Aug 6, 2009.

1. 01ssrms

01ssrms New Member

State:
    TN
    There is a little park at the end of Woods Ferry Circle in Gallatin atleast looks like it might be out of the way enough to not be so crowded. There is a little inlet there with an island just out from the park and the main channel looks fairly close. Just curious if anybody has ever tried it?

2. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Nope never tried there..I may have to go scout it out..I usually fish down at Bledsoe creek though not far from there..

3. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Nope....I've never fished there either. Most of my fishing on Old Hickory was done around the steamplant, skimmer wall, bledsoe creek, cunninghams Island, devils tea table.....all great places to catch big fish!!!:wink:

4. Greasy Ham

Greasy Ham New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    May try that out saturday. Thanks for posting it.

5. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thx for sharing.. something new to look into sounds good to me anyday..:smile2:

6. Greasy Ham

Greasy Ham New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I drove around an hour and a half and never could find it.:angry:

7. 01ssrms

01ssrms New Member

State:
    TN
    I ended up running out there on Friday night to give it a shot. I tried on the inlet side first and didn't get any action. I was trying different baits of live small bluegill, nightcrawlers, and chicken liver. A couple of guys on a bass boat came by and asked if I was having any luck. They were out about as far as I was casting so I asked the depth. Only 6.5 ft. My big set up can toss it pretty far, but maybe not far enough to get close to the deeper channel on that side. So I moved over to the main lake side of the park and threw out a new cut small bluegill and a nightcrawler. Little bites on the nightcrawler, nothing on the small bluegill. Switched the nightcrawler rod to chicken liver and got bites before it hit the bottom, but very small fish. I finally hooked one after a few bait thefts and it ended up being a 10" channel cat, smallest one I think I've ever caught. Casted the chicken liver again and the same thing, small bites as soon as it got near the bottom, but never hooked another. My guess it was just more small channels out there. I never got any action on the cut bluegill. I really wish I had some cut skipjack or live shad though, but it was such a last minute trip I didn't have time to catch any on my way. Shortly after catching the first catfish though, I had a little accident and cut my finger pretty deeply and called it a night. I am definitely going to give it another shot soon as I get a chance.

Sorry about the hard time finding the spot Greasy. Easiest way to get there is to take Peach Valley Rd. off of 109 just before the bridge. Then it's about 1/2 mile and turn to your left on Woods Ferry. Small 1.5 lane road that goes to a couple houses and the little park. Only people I saw down there on Friday were a couple of guys on 4 wheelers just driving around.

8. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Hey Ross, my husband Bo and I go down there every once in a while. It's been a couple of months or so since we were there. We've caught a few cats there, but nothing huge. Sometimes during the day it gets kinda loud there but at night it's not too bad. Good luck to you!:big_smile:

9. 01ssrms

01ssrms New Member

State:
    TN
    Yeah, I did notice a lot of boat traffic going by even in the late evening. Like you said, got much quieter after dark. One good thing was I just parked my car close enough to the lake to roll my passenger side window down and slide my rods through as a prop. Then I was able to sit in my nice comfy driver's seat and relax and watch my rods :smile2:

10. Greasy Ham

Greasy Ham New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Great information. Thanks a lot. I will try again this weekend. If you guys wanna meet up there let me know. I enjoy fishing at night, but not if I am the only one there. I'm always wary if I'm by myself, but I do it anyways.
    I tried to find it at night on saturday so I couldn't really see where I was going well.
    After giving up I went home and looked at the map again and realized where I had gone wrong, so I will know exactly next time where I am going.
    I actually ended up in Lebanon that night:tounge_out:.

If the small fish are there I'm sure the big ones come along also sometimes. It is Old Hickory and we all know the big ones are in it.

11. lforet2002

State:
    Tennessee
    Hey Jeff I may can meet ya there..I've been looking for something closer to home and fresh and this fits the bill..I'll PM ya and let you know for sure..

12. 01ssrms

01ssrms New Member

State:
    TN
    Headed out there again this evening. I'll post up results when I get home.

BoswifeDeb I have a question for you. When you all go down do you normally fish on the lake side at the corner of the parking lot or from the grassy area on the inlet side?

13. 01ssrms

01ssrms New Member

State:
    TN
    Not a very good night. Went to the lake side again armed with live shad and chicken liver. Little bit of action on both, but all we managed to catch were 2 snapping turtles on the liver and one bass on a lure I was tossing out. Not sure I'm convinced on this spot, but it is a nice quiet place to spend an evening on the lake.

14. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Is that spot your askin' about deal with shutes branch??

15. lforet2002

State:
    Tennessee
    Is there not a place to fish in the main channel rather than the cove??Am I looking @ the right spot on the map not far from 109??

16. 01ssrms

01ssrms New Member

State:
    TN
    Yeah, we were fishing on the main channel side, not on the cove.

17. lforet2002

State:
    Tennessee
    I would'nt give up on the spot just yet...I've been fishing all up and down Old Hick this year and it just feels like something aint right..Last spring we caught the crap out of em but this year has been really bad..

18. 01ssrms

01ssrms New Member

State:
    TN
    I really would like to go out and check the water depths out from that spot and see just how far out the channel is. It feels like there is a shelf that runs out further than I thought as the bait hits the bottom pretty quick, feeling more like 6-8 feet of water. Although I guess if you could get your bait just on top of the shelf right near the channel they would be coming up that way at night to feed.

The other thing is the latest we have been at that spot is until 915 pm or so. Need to get some lights and try and stay a little later one evening, maybe the bite will be better later.

19. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky

I always done my best on Old Hickory late at night around 12:00 midnight especially fishing for big cats in the middle of summer.:wink:

20. lforet2002

State:
    Tennessee
    I'm gonna try and go Sat. night..I have some lights and I have a portable depth/fish finder..