Anyone ever tried this?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Rookie12, Nov 9, 2006.

1. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    Has anyone tried fishng cut bait with no weight for cats? I caught one blue and 1 white cat last time I was out using this technique. You pretty much rig up a carolina rig with no weight and cast the bait out and let it sink real slow. I put my clicker on and when it took off, I just set the hook and reeled him in. Seemed to work pretty good, expecially on finicky fish. Anyone ever tried it?

2. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I haven't personally treid this, but I do know some fellas that fish that way. In spring and early summer especially, they will fish the flats of a large lake in about 3 or 4 feet of water. Shallow enough that grass is poking out of the water. They do really well fishing like that.

3. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I saw in the library that there is actually an article written on this and it is called flylining. I was fishing in about 25' of water, but I gues it woud work in almost any depth.

4. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Yeah I recently had a guy show me how to fish like that, and it worked real well. Except we were drifting with cutbait, and in real deep water. Just let out a lot of line and sit back. I've went back and tried it again last weekend to see if was just a seasonal thing, but I caught fish just as good. It's a real fun way to catch fish.

5. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    If and when I fish for carp, I use no weights and use alot of corn on my hook. I will also chum the area as well. As far as using cut bait with no weights, you have my curiousty peaked! Thanks for the intel!

Kenny

6. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sounds very interesting,as rotten a luck as I had this season I'll try it upcoming season if all is well and see if it will produce for me!:big_smile:

7. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    I use this technique sometimes as well. As long as your drifting or in a slow/no current situation. It lets the bait wander around a bit and looks more natural. I've slammed a few nice Stripers the same way. I think the extra slack in the lines lets them get a better bite as well. I like to use heads especially since they have a bit more weight than a mid cut piece.
    Small whole dead baitfish work but I stab them a few times to make sure they arent holding air, and it lets the scent wash out more.

8. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    No I haven't, but will give a shot. Sounds like it would work. Thanks

9. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    One night fishing with my dad behind a dam we lost all of our weights and we started using White Perch heads with no weight, the water was not running or anything and it worked really AWESOME, my dad lost one over 50lbs right before I could get low enough on the rocks ro get it, and then we caught like 4 fish from 30-40lbs, all Blue Cats. One of the fish hit while the bait was sinking. It definitely works well.

10. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    one of my fishing partner does that every time he fishes...

He ties a 10/0 kale hook (no barrel swivel)with a big gizzard shad head and always catches fish...(big blues)...

wouldn't you know it I teased him and said all you will catch with that will be a bowfin...well he has caught blues up to 40 lbs. using that method...now we fight for the gizzard head

11. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    my buddy will do that and he usually outfishes me! lol i gotta give it a go.

12. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    i was using white perch head as well and that's what I caught the blue on. I also tried using a gizzard head, but didn't get any hits on it. I'm going tomorrow and I added three rods rigged like this and will be using them all day. I will post results. i do feel that it lets the bait look more natural and less intrusive to the fish's domain. It wouldn't work well in current though. I'll be fishing like this a lot more. later

13. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    I've done the same thing with cut shad as well as using live bait. It seems to work pretty good but like anything it doesn't work everytime.Thats why they call it fishing.
    Loop

14. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    That's definately why they call it fishing. I did it all the time back when I used to striper fish exclusively. That's where I got the idea. I bet it woul work with live bait in the summer for flatheads in shallow water if you could keep the bait from swimming a whole lot. Maybe use a little weight, just enough to slow the bait down or cut thier fins. going in the morning, jst finished rigging up my boat. will post results tomorrow. see ya

15. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    Thats how i fish all the time... there are certain places i'll do that more then others and certain gear too... ultralighting on a pond esp... I've also caught some nice channels in the DC section of the potomac using ultra light and no weights

16. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I do that a lot but not with cut bait. I use punch bait, worms and livers like that a lot. I will try the cut bait like that.

17. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    like already said its a rig for finiky biters. i use the no wieght rig in spring after ice out in bays with creeks. in addition to no wieght, i pull line off the reel too so they cant feel anything till i hitum. naturally this dont work if there is much current.

18. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I use that technique in the fresh & Saltwater both. I've been sucessfull many times with it:wink:

19. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    Fishin with no weight is one of my favorite ways to fish. It's a style that i use in "no current" bodies of water. it's very productive.
    I usually leave the bail open and just watch the line for any sign of movement. Fish will generally swallow the bait, so if one is looking for some dinner...that's great, but if your doin the CPR thing, it's probably not a good way to fish.

I like to fish at night using this method on lakes. I cast out, let the bait sink a bit, reel up some of the slack. Next, i open the bail , prop the pole on a rock, log, whatever is available and then take an empty drink can and wrap the line around it once....it's an effective bite detector. You get a hit and the line pulls the can over, makin some racket and hopefully wakes you up...lol

cyas
    rc

20. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I got 2 nice flatheads this morning on this rig with a perch head for bait.