Anyone ever seen a white peacock?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Cheryl, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    As I have mentioned previously, I am a bird watcher and animal lover. This unique peacock lives on a farm near here in a lovely town named Erwin, TN. It is an awesome bird! The owner told me that ever so often there is a white one that comes from a set of regular peacocks.

[​IMG]

2. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Ya I had A pair of white Peacocks for about two years.

3. willisjj

willisjj Guest

Don't believe I have ever seen a white one. Pretty cool. Peacocks sure are wierd birds. We used to get scared when we were little listening to em at night. Sounded like crying babys or something. Pretty eery sounding. They sure are pretty though.

4. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Tim, Is that as long as they live or did something happen?

Willis, They do have an eerie call. Someone told me they verbalize at night when mating.

I'll never forget when I was around 5 or 6, we were visiting my Aunt and Uncle who lived on South Holston Mountain, and a wild boar came off of a hill side, out of the trees and barreled straight at me. That thing scared the devil out of me with those tusks. I think that is the fastest I ever ran in my life. LOL

5. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    I think the three colors for peafowl are Pied (ccommon multicolor everyone knows) White (uncommon) and oatmeal (sorta tannish white) That is the rarest of the three.

We had a pair of pied and whites. Pretty birds.

The oatmeal oes go for 200 a bird if you find em. The whites are 150-175 and the others can be bought for asx low as 75 each.

6. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN

Thanks for the info Sal! Do you know anything about swans? There is a pond here that has 2. My Mother and I have often wondered why they never leave, where and how you purchase them, etc. I just haven't had the time to research them on the net. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

7. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    i wish you lived closer i would catch some from one of our local lakes here and
    probably get a medal and a key to the city LOL they
    are way too many in this lake and the traffic gets held up while some of them cross with little ones .
    you cant take a step with out stepping in their stuff

8. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Don't know how long they live i got a pair from a sale. Had them for two years and we give them to a petting zoo they are still there. So they would be around 7 or 8 now.

9. Mathersm

Mathersm New Member

State:
    Darbydale, Ohio
    I think their call is one of the most annoying things. My neighbor used to have 8 of em. Always sounded like a million cats in heat. Made it hard to sleep during the summer sometimes.

10. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Here is one of ours. My wife wants to get some white ones to go with them. We have a male and a female now. They sure are noisy sometimes. Best watchdog we have though. LOL

Attached Files:

11. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    They can make more racket then a yard full of kids...
    Pete

12. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Beautiful! They are such lovely birds. I don't know but the Farmhouse Gallery in Erwin, TN owners may be able to hook you up, if you can't find any in your neck of the woods. They are on the net and very nice people. That is where the one I posted the pic of lives.

13. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    twice a year in Lima, Ohio there is a wild game auction sale called Woods and Water- You can get swans, peacocks, or sugar gliders or leopards or wolves or lions or grizzlies or chimpanzees.

I almost bought an african Cape buffalo 5 years ago for 300 bucks. lol Dont know what I woulda done with it, but the price seemed right.

I have seen everything there. I love the whole event. IT's 5 bucks a person to get in and you never know what will be there.

Some hanuman monkey fell in love with my wiffe there. It sprang from its cage and wouldnt leave her alone. It loved her blonde hair. Kept playing with it- not pulling it, but not lettinng it out of his lil hand either. When Id come close it would throw seeds at me and scream and hug her head. I sorta felt like Kramer with the chimp in the seingfeld episode.... I wanted to kick its lil red a$$... lol

Anyhow, you want swans or zebras or a pet iguana or tiger or hyena- thats the place to go.

Sal

14. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Thanks Cheryl, I'll show her. Geez Sal, we paid abouit 10 bucks apiece for ours and the white ones only go for about 20. And be quiet about those suger gliders. She wants one of them too. LOL

15. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    When I lived in South Miami(nearer to homestead)-Janet Reno(Attorney General)and her mom had a farm not to far away,had about 12 pairs of peacocks-had to get rid of them because so many neighbors complained.True story.