anyone ever see a 376mph semi?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by JERMSQUIRM, Jul 26, 2008.

1. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    this was at the air shows here about every year. awesome and sounds like thunder when it claps its after burners. ive seen this truck live and have a few vids of it and got les shockleys autograph. hes got another one too ill post a vid if i can find it. candy apple red 56 chevy with 2 p/w engines. guiness book record holder 376 mph.

facts. each pratt whitney engine has 12,000 hp. x 3. 36,000hp

burns 120 gallons fuel on a run.

said on the world record run it threw off huge chunks rubber from tires. broke zuse tabs from spoiler. as he approched the end wall of runway hit the main chutes. powdered them. broke the main lines tow lines ect... after he let air speed bleed off to 250 mph and as he hit the spare chutes and hit the brake pedal, they slowed him to 90 mph as he was approching the wall. he set the peterbuilt into a drift and slid it around like a street car brakes were on the floor & fluid was boiling. he rolled it off the runway and used his foot to hold it from rolling till the tow truck got there.

if hes ever in the area go see it.

its a family run show. les shockley the pop donna the wife and kent who ran it in vid two the boy. les was a veteran jet car driver from the 70's area. found more success in the exibition shows than racing ever would pay. '

said in the documentery he sold all his jet dragsters favorite 56 pichup trailers and had over 150 grand in loans in this and didnt even know if it would start.

kent his son came up with the hair brain scheme. and less is famous from it as well as the shockley family.

to experience this at 100% crank your pc and surround if ya have it.

once ya see it in person. YOULL NEVER FORGET IT! if ya cant bare to watch all these watch the 3rd at the tulsa racway dragstrip.

[youtubevid]bPrQhrxPLJk[/youtubevid]

[youtubevid]ZoDawskz5EE[/youtubevid]

2. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    night show in quebec canada. les was formerly sponsered by octane boost 104. they have since parted ways.

[youtubevid]cO6Gh2F6AZc[/youtubevid]

at a drag strip in tulsa.

[youtubevid]LFIGIGY9DUw[/youtubevid]

3. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    this is the candy apple red 56 chevy pickup les built after selling his to build the peterbuilt. this 65 chevy body is on a chromalloy frame like the peterbuilt but is lighter and with only two 12,000 hp engines outperformes the origional shockwave semi.

again a great drag strip run.

[youtubevid]ayIWi_tc2ZI[/youtubevid]

same red one during day at a dragstrip.

[youtubevid]-ypUnFtUIKM[/youtubevid]

4. Big Vic

Big Vic New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    THAT IS JUST SWEEEeeet man I would give just about anything to go for a ride in one of those trucks !!!:cool2::cool2:
    Thanks for sharing the videos !!!!:cool2:

5. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    back in the day. 70's 80's pics of les shoclkeys jet cars.

first is jet dragster. 2nd doug rose racing les.

he said in the doucumentry i bought that the scarriest crash he had was going about 250 mph the car he was racing came in his lane forcing him to swerve and the car caught lift and at 250mph he went airborne looking up at ground coming down on the head.

he said his life flashed before his eyes thinking sbout his family and the roll cage he welded if it would hold. he let go of the wheel as in most wrecks the worst injuries are to wrists and ankles so he grabbed his belts and pulled in tight, and like a gift from god it supn back over and did a 390 degree turn, so he thought maybe i can drive out of this, grabbed the wheel again and landed on the right rear tire shattering the retaining gear holding the axles in position. the tires kept the axles in and bounced off the frame. they took it behind the wall replaced the gear box and shocks and ran it 30 min later winning the heat,

and another good one was he he beat another driver. maybe doug rose but dont quote me. the guy got out and kicked his jet car. and it burst into flames from the fuel boiling over.

6. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    $1500 at a show gets ya one. well that was 12 years ago,lol. its an eliete club. less than 1% of people on earth have went over 300mph.:wink:

7. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    $1500:crazy: That is a lot of money, but I bet it would be worth it. It would be like getting a ride in a Blue Angel, But only on the ground

8. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya i forgot to add on that record run after he spun it around it rolled another 1/4 mile back up the runway before he rolled two tires in the grass and used his foot as a chock. there was a concrete barrier wall at the end. it could have been bad.:eek:oooh:

ive seen this 5-6 years at the air show here. i got some video just like these that i taped. he totally fogged the croud one year the wind brought the fuel cloud over us.

the plumes of white smoke is actually fuel cloud. when he pours that plume out thats when hes got fuel on and the pops are when he ignites the afterburners.

the fire from the stacks is purley for added show. here some stills.

what he does is a plane will come over at 150 mph and when he sees it he lights the burners. and smokes the plane 1/2 way down the runway.

the first time he got booked at one he asked the guy what do ya want me to do at an air show? theyll boo me. the guy said no way i seen that truck. no one will boo ya. so in the months leading up to it someone came up with the idea of the plane race. and just so have it he passed the plane right in front of the crowd. he was booked solid for the next year. instant success.

9. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    heres a couple short ones of the races.

[youtubevid]8_q6xTgGl_E[/youtubevid]

[youtubevid]OgJW5oy4Hxs[/youtubevid]

theres all kinds on youtube to see.

10. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    im ten miles from the NORWALK RACEWAY PARK and every year thy have what thy call night of fire. i can here him warmin up and when he takes off you can feel it :smile2: thy have other rocket stuff and fireworks. its a big deal thing. its called SUMMIT RACEWAY PARK now. i remember when that place first opened i use to go there with my dad and the newest car runnin would be 62 chevys. :big_smile: :cool2:

11. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    That's just an insane amount of power strapped to your butt, short of being in the space shuttle can't think of anything that would match it for power to weight??? I flew in an F16 with one engine and that was plenty for me....:eek:oooh:

12. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I am sure that someone has done the research but: how does he stay stoped when those giant engines are spinning? The brakes on that thing must be out of Star Wars. That is alot of power being held back.:eek:oooh:

13. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    mike. this truck if it could fly statistics show it would lift with 3 g's. twice the thrust of the shuttle.

theroetically if the truck could handle it (but it cant) would run 1500mph +.:crazy:

ive got the whole story of les's carrear and the truck on vhs.:cool2:

14. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    if ya watch the tulsa one. you can see his tires locked up but sliding. they wouldnt hold if he was at full rpm's and lit the burners. it would be like trying to stop a truck with your shoulder while standing on ice.

when hes doing those burner pops ect. hes only at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle and you see the way the truck shakes. then watch as hes ready to go. the whine gets extremly fast and loud. thats when he powers the engines to 100%. then that big plume of smoke signals hes got fuel on. and the scream of flames is silmply taping a button. that ignights the burners.

15. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    dont think i wanna pull my gasoline tanker with that tractor lol

16. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Thanks for sharing Jeremy. I have seen Les run a bunch of times at drag strips across Ohio. He sure does put on one heck of a show. There used to be another guy that ran a jet semi by the name Bob Motz. He was involved in a really bad fire on the starting line at a strip in WV last year. I guess they have the truck rebuilt now so hopefully he can get fully recovered and get back to racing.