Anyone ever heard of this?

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by iFish, Jun 2, 2008.

1. iFish

iFish New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Has anyone ever heard of someone catching a paddlefish while fishing for catfish? Me and a few friends were at Rocky Ford today, and I hooked a paddlefish. I was using Sonny's channel catfish bait with the sponge hooks and I hooked a 40-50 pound paddlefish. It ended up coming unhooked, but its still a good story :wink: Has anyone caught any like this?

2. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    ive heard all kinds of stories like that but after gettin into spoonbillin IMO i find em all hard to believe but not impossible.

3. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Never caught a paddlefish before. but catching one in the 40 to 50 lbs. class on catfish stinkbait makes for quite the story. I'll bet that was quite the rush. wish you could of landed that sucker. win some, loose some!! great post!:big_smile:

4. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    where was it hooked at ??

5. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Its pretty common place down in OK. The spoony swims by your line, feels it and ends up snaggin himself beacuse he tryed to get away. My Dad has accidentily snagged them without a treble hook before.

6. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i caught a tire once ok maybe twice ok maybe more than that does that count
    it was a hell of a fight :wink:
    great story though you never know what you can catch out there

7. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Man Gus, I bet that TIREd you out.LOL

8. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    :smile2::smile2: how long did it take ya to come up w/ that one Kyle ?? :smile2::smile2:

ya keep that up yer gonna get a rep like me on here !! :wink::smile2:

9. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    I dont think that you have anything to worry about JJ. :smile2:

10. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    hey kyle and jj that tire ed joke was good old but good
    maybe thats what broke your line kyle flat treaded tire ha halol

11. iFish

iFish New Member

State:
    Kansas
    It was hooked in the mouth... I wish I could have actually caught it, it would make for a good avatar :roll_eyes:

12. Joe4BigCats

Joe4BigCats New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kans
    hey Kyle ...

I caught this in the Big Blue just down from Rocky Ford... Caught it on a nightcrawler, while fishing for Catfish... ummmm.. not the best pic... But, thought I'd let you know.. hope it help's..

Attached Files:

13. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    There is one record of a sturgeon being on the Arkansas here in Segdwick Co. but I have never seen one. And people think that cats are ugly.:smile2:

14. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    thats extremely odd that ya hooked it in the mouth. spoonbill are filter feeders and dont bite on any bait. nothin is impossible.

15. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    I have caught a few spoonies and as I understand it they eat plankton. Never heard of one taking a bait. My guess is that he was foul hooked. Still bet it was pretty exciting for awhile there.

16. iFish

iFish New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Yeah thats what I always thought, but we could see the yellow sponge of the hook in the corner of its mouth. It might have felt the hook, and turned to swim away and hooked itself in the process... Oh well, I doubt it ever happens again

17. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Several years ago, I caught and released a 25lb spoonbill just below Milford
    at the outlet. He looked scarred and worse for the wear when I took the
    1/2 0z. jig off the side of his head. I thought I had a really respectable fish
    on midway through the 15 minute fight and was sort of disappointed when
    it turned out to be a spoonbill. I knew it was illegal to keep him but I took
    a couple of minutes to look him over. Looked like he had been caught and
    released at least a dozen times. I felt a little sorry for him and wished I
    knew the story behind the various nasty looking scars he had on head
    and tail. But the nice part of it was he was still swimming around doing
    spoonbill type business after years of being snagged by a succession of
    law abiding types at the outlet each letting him go as I soon would. I got lucky.
    I didn't leave a notch in his old hide. Enough folks had left their
    signature. As he finned off into the depths, I remember thinking that I'd
    better catch something I could eat. The next fish was a walleye that
    was an inch short...Tough day at the tubes...

18. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    the state and world record spoonbill {144 lbs. if my memory is correct} came out of an oxbow lake near Atchison by a guy who was fishing for buffalo and carp. A guy caught a 110lb spoonie at Jacomo a couple years back he was bluegill fishing with 6lb test a bobber and a worm on a #10 cricket hook.Not sure I believe that part. It was the Mo state record....don't know if it still is. They are in the river systems around here....they can wind up in some wierd places.

19. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    i spoonbill fish and the rods, reels, line & hooks we use and i mean use makes it hard for me to believe the light tackle stories. i have a 48 & 60 under my belt and the fight that was put upon me believe in continuing to use the equipment i use. i hooked on to one 2 years ago that made my snaggin rod (7 ft.), penn 409, and 130 # line cry for help. sitting on the deck of the 17 ft. bass tracker with my boot heels hooked on the side it took me about 2-3 min. to pull my rod from straight out to straight up using EVERY ounce and every muscle i had. after the 5 pumps i managed to get bowin that rod aver somethin fierce it got one of my other hooks snagged up. with the brag on that penn set as tight as it could go, that fish took line like thread off a spool. even though i had to cut the line and all my muscles were on fire, i loved every min. of that fight !!

20. iFish

iFish New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Wow, sounds like a heck of a fight! I definitely believe you when you say it was taking all your line, I wasnt even coming close to slowing that thing down. I dont think there was any way I could have landed the fish I hooked with the rod and reel I was using...