Anyone ever heard of a "punt-gun"??

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by buddah, Jul 17, 2007.

1. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    This is a real treat for the gun collecter...or anyone for that matter! It takes 1 pound of buckshot to load this baby!
    Look at this...:crazy: Here is the link

2. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    PUNT GUNs were quite popular at the turn of the century and were used mainly by commercial people to harvest ducks for the market.Punts I believe were the boats themselves used by the commercial hunters and the punt gun was mounted on the bow on a swivel.If I recall they were about 2-4 guage for the most part and the theory was the punt was sculled quietly up on large flocks of ducks sitting on the water and then you blasted the flock and killed as many as possible.This type of commercial hunting came close to eliminating several species of ducks.It took decades of work by many organizations to restore waterfowl populations to huntable numbers.Management,out lawing the sale of waterfowl,closed seasons and drastically reduced bag limits all helped bring them back.Rational use of our wildlife resources has not been one of mankinds strengths and unfortunately we have done our best work restoring the destruction we previously caused.

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Yup, they were in fairly common use by market hunters. The gun was generally mounted on the front of the boat (punt). The hunter quietly slipped up on a big raft of ducks, and shot them on the water.
    There's an excellent description of market hunting, including use of a punt gun in James Mitchner's "Chesapeake".

4. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Well thats just horrable! Poor ducks! I just was impressed on how humongus that baby is. I'm GLAD as all heck that it is illegal...Man that thing was gargantuian man! Apparently there is an 8 barrelled gun like that that is unforuneately legal. For what I couldnt tell ya. My wife seen on the TV whilst I was sleeping (the 8 barrelled one) and tried to explain it to me so we looked it up on youtube. I dont think I like it because of the unfairness factor, but I am a guy and large guns are always cool to stare at....teehee :smile2:

5. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    It's been years and years, but I'm almost certain I saw a punt gun here:

http://www.cbmm.org/index.html

In any case, it's the coolest museum...great place.

6. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    The 3 inch and 3 1/2 in magnum Shotguns and Shells of today were primarily developed for waterfowlers to fudge to the limits of the gauge laws.The major waterfowl hunting organizations jumped on the bandwagon and endorsed each as it came along.I was there.I bought them too.We have not really changed our thinking about big guns as much as we like to think.People fed their families and the cities legally for years with these guns just as the commercial fishermen do today with nets.No more,no less.In the 50's the wildlife folks at the Santee Refuge said baited fields,these guns and huge nets spread with cannon by ropes attached to cannon balls were still being used in South America.The "Short Stopping" by winter feeding stopped the migrations and really saved our wildfowl according to them.They were still being commercially harvested by the millions in South America while we were trying to save them.You no longer see the Geese flying the Gulf of Mexico.These winter or even year round Canadian Geese are not a natural thing and has come about in my life time.The South Americans were as happy about this as the East coast fishermen were when the Florida netters nearly wiped out the Spanish Mackerel.Many commercial fishermen have lost their livelihood just as the commercial hunters have.Ducks and Geese were Baited,Bush Lined,Steel trapped and Snared with corn for bait by some on the Santee when I was a child.I imagine it is still being done by "some" of the same ones I hear about that catch the Big Flathead Catfish to sell to the "Pay Lakes" for the prize fish.I am not condemning the legal commercial fisherman,trapper or hunter that I have the "utmost respect" for.It is the "illegal taking or release" of species of animals and fish that I despise.Most Commercial fishermen are far more law abiding than the average "Sports" person.Their license and therefore their living depends on it.My father taught me to "see and learn"when I looked.I Saw,listened and learned most of the above from the employees of the US Fish and Wildlife refuge on the North side of the Santee Channel.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

7. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I once had a 2 guage punt gun shell in my collection, though some how it dissapeared during one of many moves. From what I understand the gun mounted in the oar lock of the boat.

8. Zombie76

Zombie76 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    That sure is a big gun!! That's all I can think when I see it. LOL

9. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    I'd love to slip up on a herd of wild hogs with one of those babies.:crazy: Now that would bring out the neighbors for sure!!!! Woweee. That thing could leave behind some tremendous carnage.

10. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    First time for everything.
    Never heard of a punt gun till now.
    Thanks.

11. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    This was the subject of a TV show just a night or 2 ago (can't remember which though). I'd never heard of one either. The "legal replacement" they showed for the gun had 5 barrels, not 8, though I'm not saying there isn't one with 8 barrels.

Smitty

12. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Geez! That things more like a cannon than a gun!:crazy: Pretty cool looking though I will admit!:wink:

13. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Your "8-barreled shotgun" was probably several shotguns mounted on a heavy board across the front of the boat with a long stick run through the trigger guards so the hunter could fire all the guns at the same time.

14. trippyclwn

trippyclwn Member

State:
    Chattanooga, Tn
    Name:
    Tracey
    bring out the big guns! um nevermind lol that thing could put a hole through a tank!!! you would hafta have two jobs to afford the ammo for it and then where could you LEGALLY shoot it? lol
    im impressed but lets stick with military personel with that kinda firepower! lol
    jmho:confused2:

15. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
  16. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Maybe thats the one my wife seen and tried to describe to me... I was sleeping, so I personally didn't see it. Must have been the same show.:smile2:

17. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Thats what I'm saying..Cool as all heck to stare at but I don't agree with it's usage though. :eek:oooh: