Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just purchased two used fishing poles from my neighbor for 20 bucks. They look like good strong poles, but I haven't been able to find any information on them so I was wondering what you guys think of them that is if anyone has ever run into them.

The first is a penn fishing pole its called a challenger its a medium action 20lb to 40lb test and 1 oz to 4 oz lure. Looks like its about 6ft 6 or so.

The second one is a St. Clair Glass-Cat all I know about that one is that its a 7 ft pole, and its a solid pole.

I'll get sum pictures up when I find my cable for my camera.

Any opinions will be appreciated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to USCA, can't say I heard of either rod, would like to see pics of them.

Sorry it took so long but my computer decided to die. So therefore I had to save some money to buy another but here are the pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Thanks for posting pics, I don't reconize either rod. I also noticed one has a wooden handle on the bottom and foam on top, never seen that before. The ones I've seen have either all wood or all foam. Good luck on getting information on them, maybe someone else will reconize them. Again thanks for sharing with us.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Im am not totally sure on this but the Penn Challenger seems to be an older rod/reel combo how far back I am not sure. Penn changes the name of their rod/reel combo's every so often
So it probally was what the Captivia is today.
Now the St. Clair looks to be a older glass pole and I also could not find any info on it.
I would probally date it back to the 1980-90's could be older not sure.
I can say it did not come with that wood handle looks like some one ruined the foam and just tapped a closet pole and glued it to the butt end. could have been like a yellow front or kmart pole or a pole specific to lake St. CLAIR which kept popping up and they do use glass muskie poles up there alot.

But if you bend them and dont hear any crackling fish on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nope they dont crack. I like both the rods but i broke the tip on the glass cat, not the rod, but that tip is like a size 14 so I have to find somewhere to order a tip. Yea that handle is odd I kinda like it. I think the penn would be great for snagging im not sure if it would be though. I dont know what the captiva looks like but your guess is better than mine. I took a look at the penn rods i thought the closest was the penn power stick based on the rod specs.

Im am not totally sure on this but the Penn Challenger seems to be an older rod/reel combo how far back I am not sure. Penn changes the name of their rod/reel combo's every so often
So it probally was what the Captivia is today.
Now the St. Clair looks to be a older glass pole and I also could not find any info on it.
I would probally date it back to the 1980-90's could be older not sure.
I can say it did not come with that wood handle looks like some one ruined the foam and just tapped a closet pole and glued it to the butt end. could have been like a yellow front or kmart pole or a pole specific to lake St. CLAIR which kept popping up and they do use glass muskie poles up there alot.

But if you bend them and dont hear any crackling fish on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I just purchased two used fishing poles from my neighbor for 20 bucks. They look like good strong poles, but I haven't been able to find any information on them so I was wondering what you guys think of them that is if anyone has ever run into them.

The first is a penn fishing pole its called a challenger its a medium action 20lb to 40lb test and 1 oz to 4 oz lure. Looks like its about 6ft 6 or so.

The second one is a St. Clair Glass-Cat all I know about that one is that its a 7 ft pole, and its a solid pole.

I'll get sum pictures up when I find my cable for my camera.

Any opinions will be appreciated.
I know this is a super old post but my father and I both had st. Clair glass cat poles... loved them. They were great,they disappeared after he passed away and I have been searching everywhere for one. We paired with Abu Garcia ambassadors for fishing Ohio River. Super Great rod!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts