Anyone ever had this happen?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by whiskerlover, Jun 17, 2007.

1. whiskerlover

whiskerlover New Member

State:
    St. joseph Missouri
    Just wondering if anyone has ever had a big fish lay on the bottom and wouldnt come up? I fought a fish yesterday for 30 minutes. It would come up about 10 to 15 feet and than just ease back down to the bottom. My line finaly broke and i lost him.:angry: Sure would like to have gotten a look at him...

2. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    I had that happen once. It was back when the Neosho River flooded the city park at Miami.
    We were using a small boat and fishing in the trees and I hooked into one.

I would get it to come up a little, then it would go back down. I thought I had snagged a limb at first, then the fish started pulling us around, then I knew it wasn't no limb.
    I don't know how long he pulled us, but he was not going to come up and finally my line snapped.:sad2:

I didn't care if I caught it, I just wanted to see it?:confused2:

Ken

3. whiskerlover

whiskerlover New Member

State:
    St. joseph Missouri
    That is exactly how it happened to me. It was very aggravating.

4. catpound

catpound New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Yeah i've been their before what size of line were you using and how were you baited up?

5. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I had it happen twice in one night last May. Got a glimpse of one of 'em. He was estimated around 50 lb. or a little better. It sucks!

6. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Yep, just recently I lost a huge one that never surfaced. he took the bait and was pulling the drag as if it was nothing to him. I was using 30lb line and it finally broke after spooling my reel. Im not sure that 60-80lb line would have stopped him, but rather it would have spooled me sooner.

7. STUMPKNOCKER

STUMPKNOCKER New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Yup, several i couldnt get up before they wrapped me around a log. i try to control them as fast as i can, to keep them outta the snags, but sometime they control me, thats when u know u got a big one, i have started using 80# power pro but it is just the same, just makes me feel better. the only reason i landed the one in my avatar is cause he run across the river toward the sandbar and kept running the same way, no snags, LUCKY for me.

8. McDreamy

McDreamy New Member

State:
    nc
    i have had a few do that to me beforea few times i have cut my line and tied it off to a gallon jugg and let it run around abit after it pulls down onthat jugg for a few hrs it will wear him outand will come offthe bottom cause he will be to tired to hold himself there

9. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I have not had that happen to me yet, but OH what a problem to have right? I'd rather have that every trip than go fishless for 10 hrs lol. Least it breaks up the slow times plus gives you a reason to fish more often.

10. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    fishing with 50# and snap, he was gone.

11. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    yep thats the way flatheads fight i can tell with 90 % acuarracy if its a flathead or blue from the way they fight. flat heads are like bull dozzers very powerfull and stay down blues will usually roll and come up . be patient when this happens and enjoy the fight dont try to horse them unless u cant help it like if theres alot of brush or structure hes headed for. but the worse thing u can do is get to excitted and pull to hard let your gear do the work and when he wants to go back to bottom let the drag do its job and peel off line. im talking on big fish 30 lbs plus. i feel there first run its so important to have your drag set right and not too tight or u will be sorry . ive been there many times myself .