Anyone ever fish in wildlife center out passed Hilmar off H165?

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by lovedasmelloffish, Jan 12, 2010.

1. lovedasmelloffish

lovedasmelloffish New Member

State:
    California
    Anyone ever fish the wildlife center out there off H 165 (lander) passed Hilmar? My sister said she went to see some elks out there and there was a fishing area that had signs posted that said striper,bass, catfish fishing was allowed 30 mins pre sun up and sun down. She got me a lil curious about it. I may have to check it out.

2. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    That would be the Merced River wouldn't it?
    Neverfished there but I have fished Mclure up river a ways from time to time.

3. lovedasmelloffish

State:
    California
    Im not sure, she got me some flyers from the Ranger station there. She said it is a slough......

4. monstercatcher

monstercatcher New Member

State:
    california
    I think that's connected to the Merced river but let me know bro am ready

5. Smokin

Smokin New Member

State:
    Ca
    It is kind of a waste of time to fish it. The fishing there basicly sucks the last time I tried out there.

6. monstercatcher

State:
    california
  7. lovedasmelloffish

State:
    California
    Ive been told that many times and left catching 20 - 30+ cats...LOL... I believe ya though. Ive passed it 100 times and never stopped. My sis just told me she went in and there was fishing areas there. Even a ramp over water for handicap.

Ill give it a try in April or so and see how it is. If it sucks, the canals are only a few minutes from there to fall back on. Thx for report smokin.

8. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    That's the salt slough ...i live down the street from there very few people fish that area , And none of the locals go there evcept to duck hunt that's about it.

9. lovedasmelloffish

State:
    California
    You ever been out there James? Is that where the Elk are? If so, its the same place.

10. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Yepper me and my son go out there all the time...Its a cool place to hang out at NO ONE is there to get in your way!!! The handi cap spot your sis told you about is about a 1/16 of a mile away from a huge veiwing deck with a telescope to look at the elk at.

11. monstercatcher

State:
    california
    What are some of the area u fish down here I know me and Lovedasmelloffish (Russ) we hit some area that u know alot of with Ross.

12. BigRossi

BigRossi New Member

State:
    California
    Hey Russ drove by the Canal today. Water i still low but it still has water! Them cats gonna be nice and hungry when they crank the water back up and temps climb!

13. monstercatcher

State:
    california
    When u guys go I be there get me some of those kittys

14. KATFISH J.

KATFISH J. New Member

State:
    CALIFORNIA
    Man you guys bring back memories, yes I`ve fished it boy have I , I got some stories about that place... My favorate place to fish there is just passed the handicap ramp spot, My biggest cat there is 12 lbs , but , thats big for the central valley.... They have a automatic gate that opens in the morning then closes at sundown, we would stay in there after the gates close and fish all night , thats when the action starts on the Salt Slough......Nobody really fishes that place , but they have some really, really big bass in there......There`s miles of slough back there that knobody has touched in years...There`s DD bass in there for sure I`ve caught alot in the 5 to 8lb range, but one day hooked one bigger than my 13lber I caught at Don Pedro, he had to go 15 to 18lbs , but after the 4th jump he shook my shallow running baby bass patern bomber lure, and no it was `nt a Stiper....LOL..... There is some big Stripers that run up there too, I caught a 15lber at the handicap ramp ........The Salt Slough runs off the San Jouquin River, God thank you guys for bringing that place up, I had so many good times back there, I truely miss that place, to me thats the best place to spend the day in the Merced grass lands.........Lovethesmelloffish, PM me and I`ll tell you how to get back to those Bass spots, You too Catpaw, hell you might have already been back there....Thanks again guys....Damn now I have a tear in my eye...lol......

15. monstercatcher

State:
    california
    hey they might be some still good area back there am willing to try

16. lovedasmelloffish

State:
    California

Hey , thx for the great report. I'm going to have to check this spot out, I havent seen it yet. SO there may be stripper biting at this time of year right now? Can you put a small boat in there? Ill tell my buddy Big Phu, he likes bass fishing much more than I. You got me a bit more excited about this spot now!

17. Ray&AndrewFramstad

Ray&AndrewFramstad New Member

State:
    Ceres, Ca
    Russ, I have arrested a ton of cranksters out there.... good for arrests but I know the fishing sucks after talking with all the locals

18. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Hi Ray..... from another Ray....Welcome to the BOC (USCA)....not sure if I said hello before, but I'm sure that you are getting more into checking out the various sites within the BOC...and the info and all that the sites offer...

Looking forward to your posts and maybe we will hook-up at one of the Mendota get-togethers coming up soon as I usually pass through your "neck of the woods" on the way north to fish....

From the Beach at Los Angles... Ray.... Bayrunner Ray

19. BigRossi

BigRossi New Member

State:
    California
    Russ it won't hurt to run out there when the water warms and try some 7!! As we have found out one mans horrible fishing area may be ones best spot with the right bait to entice the fish.

It may be horrible....or we may find a good alternative to the canal.

20. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Looks like a good place to explore with poo poo...lol