Anyone else Kayak??

Discussion in 'Kayaker and Canoe Fishing' started by teaysvalleyguy, Jun 25, 2006.

1. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I just got back from a 6 mile trip on Big Darby. I used to go at least once a week during the summer and twice alot of the time about 5-6 years ago. Just kinda got away from it and have not really made the time.

Well, today was great. I was going to take wife and Madison and go Canoeing but the water level was up. So I just went and took the 6 mile leg of the river. They also have a 4 and a 12 mile offered. It was great and relaxing. I seen a ton of turtles sunning themselves and severl snakes out on fallen trees and limbs in the water. A few decent size gardners and one that I have no idea what it was but it was probably 3 and a half feet and almost got in the boat. I was pulled up next to a fallen tree and taking pics of some turtles sunning with my camera. When I went to pull away he was no more then 3 feet in front of my face. Needless to say I did not stick around much longer, LMAO. I do not like snakes one bit.

It was fun to go and just get away. The river was pretty busy and I had to get out of the Kayak a couple times to help a canoe with 2 kids under 8 in it with Dad following behind in a Kayak. They were banked twice and flipped the canoe once. It is no more then 6 foot in most parts with some shallow parts. I did not get any pics this time because dont really feel like taking the chance on soaking the camera. LMAO

I am really going to try and get back into this. It is great upper body workout and a fun relaxing time. Will probably be more Canoeing with Madison and the wife but will get out on my own every now and then.

2. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Yea, Matt. I've been canoeing and kayaking the James River and the New river for years. The area of the James I live on is some really good whitewater. We have about 40 miles of beautiful water flowing thru the mountains along National Forest that is just full of fish and great scenery. I also go a few hours away th Hico West Virginia to float the New River Gorge below Summerville Dam and The Gauley river. That's BIG WHITEWATER over there and some great catfishing.

3. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    About the only way I'd go kayaking would be with a couple of outriggers. With out them, sure enough I'd turn over and couldn't get back up.:crazy:

4. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    ohh come on john ,,what could posibly happen(but i won't go with ya...lol)

5. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    tell them?????i'd be lucky to be able to see them....lol

6. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Kayak ? It's all I can do to get in and out of my jon boat..LOL:lol:
    John,man you crack me up !!! LMAO

7. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Townville, South Carolina
    I have one I take in the lake and do a lot of bream and crappie fishin off of. Only if it was a little bigger and had a 200 merc on it woul it be better lol

8. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Thanks for the replies guys, I just enjoy relaxing and the upper body workout. Good exercise that I really dont pay attention too because I am having so much fun.