Anyone else eat shad?

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by south_va_fisherman, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    This is a joke ......Right????!!!!!?????

2. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
  3. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    My buddy told me about this a couple years ago. Up in NY, they have a festival every year called "Shad Fest" where they drink a lot of beer and eat a lot of shad. Here is a link I found on it:

http://www.hrmm.org/museum/festival.htm

4. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    The kind of shad they are talking about is different than what most of us use for bait.

5. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    As they would have to travel really far to reach the ocean here in Kansas.

6. tkbiker

tkbiker New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I had a freind of mine tell me he had eaten shad before but i have not:eek:oooh:!

He swore up and down they caught them in a river coming off Lake Erie and they were Gizzard Shad? and they were good?

Ill try anything ONCE:big_smile:!

7. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    EEeeeeeewwwwww!! :crazy:

8. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    The American and Hickory shad that run up the east coast river systems are edible and "shad bakes" are or were common in the south.The preffered eating was not so much the shad as the roe which is considered a delicacy like caviar when fried.U nfortunately due to many reasons the shad runs arent what they used to be so the shad bakes are fewer these days.They are great fun to catch though and look and jump like baby tarpon.:smile2:

9. Moose1

Moose1 New Member

State:
    STEUB, OHIO
    :embarassed:you might want to watch about teasing the southern fisherman about eating their bait.
    hate mail is bad for your health.

10. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
  11. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    i LOVE eating shad....'course they have been processed thru a catfish when i taste 'em:wink:

12. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    if i had to eat shad to survive i dont think this country boy would survive

13. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I can't honestly believe that anyone would eat shad, LOL!!! Those are quite possibley the nastiest smelling things I have ever used for bait, I sure ain't gonna eat any of them, COUNT ON IT, LOL!!!

14. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    :eek:oooh: Nope not me!!! If i can get SHAD i can get me some catfish!!!:eek:oooh:

15. iceman

iceman New Member

State:
    Walterboro S.C
    I fish for american shad when they are running. I dont care for the roe but like the fish. they have real small bones in the meat and are hard to eat like that. The way i fix it is like eating salmon and i fry it like salmon patties. This is the recipe. scale and fillet the shad and cut out the rub bones. Get pint canning jars and stand the shad up in the jars. fill the jars 1/2 in. from the top. put 1 tablespoon canning salt and 1 tablespoon lemon juice in each jar. do not put any water in jars. put lids on the jars and stack jars in a pressure canner. cook jars at 10psi for 1hr and 40min. let cool and they will start sealing. sit on shelf in pantry till ready to eat. open jar and pour out liquid. dump into bowl and crumble up. add 1 egg per jar into bowl. add chopped onion,salt, pepper, and just enough flour to make the patty hold together. get grease hot and fry till golden brown. ENJOY!!

GARY:smile2:

16. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like some very interesting shad stories, I will not be trying any shad anytime soon.

17. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    in Augusta when the shad are running, I used to go and catch them all the time. By the time they were reeled up the wall of the lock, they were stiff as boards. There were always a bunch of Koreans there willing to take them off your hands. Now what they did with them I don't care to know. I have heard winter Kimshi, but ignorance is bliss here.:smile2::smile2:

18. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ill tell ya. boys around here know ill eat most anything. but even i have my limits. no gizzard shad for cats. now gizzards from chickes. ill take a big greasy bucket full.:wink:

19. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio