Anyone drift fish the Ohio River?

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by rivertoon, Jul 28, 2008.

1. rivertoon

rivertoon New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I am looking for some help on drift fishing. I have tried this method 2 or 3 times and not had much luck. I would like to learn more about this. I usually anchor and fish but I would like to broaden my arsenal.Thanks for any help.

2. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    I asked the same question and got some good advice from the guys here. Look for a recent post called the art of drifting and that should get you started. There are also some good posts in the library section of this site. But no matter how you read it on here, it does require a certain knack that takes time to learn, alot of snags in the mighty Ohio.

Good luck
    Bill

3. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    Look at this post HERE

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Learning how to drift takes a very long time. You are probably doing more right than you realize, however not too many people are catching fish right now. the link provided contains some very good information; bottom line is that you are going to have to develop what works for you. Good luck and be patient.

5. o'boro cat hunter

o'boro cat hunter New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I know that in the Owensboro area it works great was an anchor fisher for years went to drift fishing this spring and threw my anchors overboard without the rope been catching alot bigger fish and alot more also. :smile2::smile2: Aaron

6. GOLD FISH

GOLD FISH New Member

State:
    portsmouth/ohio
    i do alot of drifting on the ohio. usually catch alot of fish but not very many big ones. i use a garcia c3 5500 and a good graphite rod. i use an all star 7" mh. it will let you fell the botom alot beter and fell the fish with ease. i just tie a 3 way swivel on with a 10-12 inch leader and a 5/0 octopus circle on the other end. on the bottom side of the swivel tie a 12-14 inch leader with a bottom bouncer sinker. i tie my sinker with 10lb line so when it gets hung up thats all i loose. with that its all need except some shad and alittle current.

7. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    Hey Goldfish

what is a bottom bouncer sinker? I know they have a bottom bouncer rig for walleyes but they are very expensive, way too expensive to be using on the Ohio River (at least for me).

Bill

8. GOLD FISH

GOLD FISH New Member

State:
    portsmouth/ohio

i have a do-it mold and make my own. they look like a walleye sinker just dont have the wire were the snap swivel is. how close are you to me. i can give you some to try.

9. DoubleG

DoubleG New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Bill, Check out Catfish Connection online. They have them two for $1.55 and up depending on weight.

10. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I make my own with a clothes hanger, slide the sinker on & bend it however you lke then put a swivel on & your ready to put it on your line.

11. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    well guys there is several methods of this technique! bottom bouncing , suspend fishin and drifting. all may be refered to as drifting!
    on what i call a true drift would be keepin your weights up of the bottom and drifting around or controlled. ive caught fish in the 70s with this method and won several tournaments, ive put together a bacsic how-to vid in drift fishin i promise you will catch fish! good luck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs-pThE07ig

12. rivertoon

rivertoon New Member

State:
    kentucky
    First I want to thank everyone for the great info. Well I tried drifting Friday night again. I got a lot of bites but was not able to catch but one fish using this method. A lot of the bites were good hard bites, at times even pulling the end of the rod into the water but with no hook up. I was using circle hooks (6/0). I ended up dropping the anchor in the area where I got most of my bites and in 20 min. caught the first three fish that hit with no misses. Am I doing something wrong?

13. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    we was drifting the other day in a tourny. i missed my first bite and probably the best fish for me that night. like u said pole bent double drifting with circle hooks but i got excited cause t was the first bite and i jerked just a little bit and i think thats why i didnt hook up. u might want to loosen the drag a little and turn the clicker on that way when the pole doubles over it will let line out a little to give him less tension and more time to run with the bait. i think sometimes they hit hard and when they feel the hard tension they open there mouth and the cirle hook just comes out. maybe with a little drag they will have time to hook up. this works well when im anchored but havent tried it while drifting. like u i am just starting to switch to the drifting.