Anyone do any juglining on Beaver Lake?

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Jacob W, Jun 3, 2007.

1. Jacob W

Jacob W New Member

State:
    Arkansas & Oklahoma
    I am going to get started pretty quickly over on Beaver. I live in Springdale so I will be fishing on the lower end near the White River area. Just curious if anyone fishes there now and if you have any advice.

Thanks,
    Jacob

2. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Which i could help, but have never fished Beaver Lake. Let me know how well it goes!

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've had poor luck jugging those deep clear lakes, so I probably can't help you much. But let me know if you decide to come down and jug the Arkansas.

4. Wiscars

Wiscars New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    You need to watch your fish TV for flats and humps that are 18 to 45 feet deep close to main channel for blues.Coves and brush prior to memorial day for channels and flats(live bait). Lots of line is the rule from June 1st on. Watch thermocline and shad schools for big blues. Learning the ways of cats in the deep White river lakes is more than challenging, it is downright humbling at times. Good luck.:wink: Big Fish are waiting for you !

5. Jacob W

Jacob W New Member

State:
    Arkansas & Oklahoma
    Thanks man! Will Do!

6. caatstalker

caatstalker New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    if u are in springdale. go up 412 to blue springs rd , go to blue spring boat ramp . put in . go south up the white ( river runs north) i/2 mile up river on ur rt. a long bluff starts. from there up river for about 8 miles is catfish heaven. i fished beaver for about 9 years. awsome lake wish i were there. great strypers too. awsome . the upper white is one of the very best kept secrets in ark. locals keep it to themselvs . oh yes on may 15 next yr try the white run at goshen twin bridges. i have seen 87lb fish come out of the white. good luck

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Wiscars, when you're jugging an area where the water depth changes from 18' to 45', are you freefloating your jugs, or anchoring them. Anchoring them wouldn't pose a problem, but letting them freefloat brings up a question. How do you (personally) fish those areas where the depth is changing so much? Setting the jugline so that they just clear the tops of the humps means they aren't getting any bait down into the deeper water; and setting the juglines any deeper will cause them to hang up on the tops of the humps.

8. Wiscars

Wiscars New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Jerry we anchor the orange shallow jugs 15,18, 20ft. on humps , points and flats. We then use lime green free floaters of 30,40,and 50 ft. for thermocline and deep channel breaks. They love to suspend on these breaks . The orange jugs act like structure markers and help when navigating and herding the free floaters. Trick is to find the structure and fish it. STAY WITH THEM! Big ones go deep for 10 min. then come up and roam with the shad till dawn. These are the jugs that usually get lost if you don't stay with them. They end up with dawn striper fishermen, in the middle of big pools, and along deep bluff drops. I think the shad go deep at dawn when the sun heats things up. This leaves the blue tired and with no real direction. Hope this helps.

9. Wiscars

Wiscars New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    One more thing. Our cordless drill does all the winding of those Deep jugs. We use single hooks on free floaters and target depth with TV. This makes it easier with all the line, and safer. SHallow ones get two hooks. Also the roamers get 6 to 8oz. of lead to slow them in the wind! Otherwise we use the 1/4oz. egg sinker that is permanent on the rigging for no wind situations. Been working too much and missed answering this till now. Sorry:roll_eyes:

10. Smellycat

Smellycat New Member

State:
    Harrison Arkans
    Sounds like I am gonna have to start making some trips to Beaver since the Ark river is so wild right now. Thanks for all the info wiscars

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Wiscars, if you are using soda jugs, rather than foam noodles, you can put 2 or 3 ounces of gravel, lead bits, etc. inside each jug. That will keep the wind from blowing the jug around so much, and you can use a lighter sinker; it also makes the jug a flagging jug. The weights slide down into the neck of the jug when a fish bites and tips the jug, keeping the jug in a tipped position.

12. Smellycat

Smellycat New Member

State:
    Harrison Arkans
    We put those light sticks in our jugs one night. That was a lot of fun watching the light show as they moved around and especially when a fish got on. You can`t see them very far, maybe 50-60 yards, but it was something different.