Anyone collect knives?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by smokey, Oct 22, 2006.

1. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I was watching a t.v. show that sold knives last night and it got me thinking. what makes a knife collectable? how many knives does it take to have a collection? Me I have a fishin knife, a huntin knife,and a pocket knife.and who are those guys on the SMKW knife show?thankx smokey

2. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Over the years, I've had a few of them in my back, but I don't particularly care to collect them...:eek:oooh:
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    No woman can endure a gambling husband, unless he is a steady winner. -- Lord Thomas Dewar

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i own way moer than i can use but i dont consider it a collection but i guess i really do however a friend of mine does collect W.R. Case knives and he'll spend hundreds on a single knife

4. Darrell

Darrell New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I collect these but they are darn expensive. The factory closed out a few years ago and now they are hard to find and more expensive to get your hands on them.

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

If anyone has found all the knives I have lost over the years they have a BIG collection, lol

6. nitro

nitro New Member

State:
    Dover, TN
    I have several knives, but not as collectibles. I just get good quality knives to fit different situations. I buy all my knives from SMKW(smoky mountain knife works). They send me a catalog when new ones come out, but I always use their web site to choose and buy. Have always been satisfied with the quality and service. :0a26:

7. nitro

nitro New Member

State:
    Dover, TN
    Forgot to mention that collectibles are a series of items on the same theme, usually issued one a year. Also, can be items from one brand name. For instance, I have been buying my brother a knife with mother-of-pearl sides each year. These are considered "collectible" because there are restrictions on the import of mother-of-pearl.

8. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Here's just two of my favorites.

The top knife is the first lockback folder made by a German Knife maker, using ATS 34 stainless steel w/Sambar stag handles and hand engraved. His father made the case for it, not pictured. Knife is serial numbered 001.

Second knife is a liner lock, hand made folder w/mastadon sides, and damascus steel bolsters. The crafstmenship in this knife is fantastic.

Attached Files:

9. Tinboat

Tinboat New Member

State:
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    I have never felt "dressed" with out a pocket knife. I have been to SMKW twice and left with the front of my shirt wet, from drool. My last time , my daughter and I were hauling a load of stuff from Va. to Ark. and I realized I had left my pocket knife at home. By the time we reached the Tn. border, the shakes and tremors had gotten nearly uncontrollable. A stop at SMKW was definately needed. A few minutes later I left with a new Case SS Sodbuster in my pocket. The shakes stopped, I could breathe again, OH JOY! My wife still say it was just an excuse to get a new knife. Sometimes I think women just do not understand ... NEED. lol

10. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky

11. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Wow Bob, those are beautiful knives, you must be proud of those two, I know I would be.

I have a few knives that I have collected for a number of years, but the ones treasured the most are the ones that my wonderful friends have given to me that just cannot be replaced. My dad's old knife is part of my collection, and he is gone now. Over the years I have given a bunch of my knives away, but never the ones my friends have given me. Pete and BubbaKat both gave me knives that no amount of money can buy them from me.

I just love knives, I guess because it takes a lot to make them. The carbide steel blades are the best as far as I am concerned because they don't seem to make them any more and they will sure hold an edge better IMO. I will take a few pictures and post them soon here.

12. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    when i was a kid i used to collect knives but my collection didnt amount to much a swiss,rambo,and a couple of old timmer knives i thought i on top of the world i wouldnt say im a collector anymore but i do own alot of knives now ive always been kinda intregued with knives

13. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I'm not a collector of knives, but there is one that I would love to have. It is a Chicago Cutlery Lockback. Looked like a buck with about a 3 1/2 in blade. I used to have one and Loved that knife. It stayed sharp forever and was a good solid knife. Not too big for my pocket like my current buck lockback is. Don't have a clue what happened to that knife. Can't find it for the life of me.

14. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    I'll second that. Had quite a few of them myself...W

15. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thankx everyone for your input.Come to think of it,mt pocket knife seems like part of me. thankx again smokey

16. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I've got others too, not just custom made ones.

Dave Demoss gave me very nice Schrade limited edition pocket knife w/ scrimshaw'd catfish on it. I love that knife as well as any I've got.

The hunter I carry in the truck is a Randall made knife with a few of the options, one is no longer available, the Sambar stag handle. The other two options I had them do was a Stainless blade and finger grip style handle. The gal that gave it to me also had my name put on it and it came in a cherry wood presentation box. Here's a link to what one looks like.

http://www.randallknives.com/catalog.php?action=modeldetail&id=22

17. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Good gravy Bob, that is one beautiful knife buddy, that gal must have wanted to marry you.LOL

18. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Joe go check it out. Largest knife store in the world so they claim. They have depts. by Mfg.(and "floors"). It's a good trip. You need a couple hours to check it out without seeing everything. I feel naked without one.
    Couldn't make it thru the airport! Carry two spares in the truck. Pocket and sheath. SERE training for the military evolves around the knife not the gun....ought to tell you something....The SMKW catalogue is great for seeing whats available. Also AG Russell has a great selection. And there are many custom makers still working. Randall makes some of the best knives in the world. I don't have a large collection, but a few of good quality are essential for the outdoorman. And a good investment. As in firearms, look at what the military is using and it will give you a good idea of the essentials. Start with ones that are of good quality and ones that fit your hand and activities. Most important, learn to sharpen.
    :big_smile:

19. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    WOW I never they had so many knifes to offer!Geez makes my Buck look cheap. ohh well at least Im not afraid to use it.Does a $200 knife cut any better then a $50 dollar knife? smokey

20. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I like a good knife for cleaning, cooking , something to work with.

Got a couple in my back that anyone who collects em, your welcome to pull em out and keep em . I could sure use the relief:tounge_out: