Anyone catfished in Brazil, South America?

Discussion in 'SOUTH AMERICAN CATFISH' started by dusky, Dec 5, 2006.

1. dusky

dusky Member

State:
    indiana
    I'm going to vacation in Brazil for a couple weeks in February, and I was wondering if any BOC members have catfished down there. It would be great to get into a big redtail or piraiba. After looking through the BOC posts in "South America" catfishing, I'm even more excited than I was before, which is hard to beat!

2. spanishcatman

spanishcatman New Member

State:
    United Kingdom
    I've no experience and no advice to give I'm afraid Dusky. But a friend of mine fished for red-tails 2 years back and he had a great time! He said that pound for pound, they really scrap. I wish you all the luck there is - and to a man from Europe, exploring the rivers of South America sounds like a real experience. Post pictures!

3. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Oh Man you must be doing something right :big_smile:

4. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I've only fished there in my dreams bro:still_dreaming: :still_dreaming: :still_dreaming: :feel_good: .
    I hope that your trip is a good one as well as safe!

5. jholl949

jholl949 New Member

State:
    Mannford. Oklah
    OK!!! I'm jealous!!
    Seriously, though, Dusty, have a great time, take LOTS of pictures, catch lots of fish, and come back to the BOC safely.
    GOD bless.

6. P. nasuta

P. nasuta New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Hi Dusky,

I've been to Brazil a couple of times but did not have the chance to fish so I can not help with personal information. However, Larry Dahlberg did several of his "Hunt for Big Fish" on catfish in Brazil and other South American countries, there maybe some information available on his website.

The food is fantastic in Brazil, I ate all kinds of the local food. While you are there visit a Churrasco (Brazillian Barbarque place), its great.

Where will you be?

Take Care,
    John

7. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Get on the net and find you a local guide that specializes in catfish and ya can`t go wrong. I had 2 buddies that went several years ago and they had a blast. had several that they could not stop and had the equipment to do it just did not getter done.

8. dusky

dusky Member

State:
    indiana
    Man I can't wait. I'll be in Rio for the first few days, then Recife, then Maceio, hitting up cultural/geographical attractions mostly. But, I gotta get one day out there on the river, ya know? I'm going with someone who's lived in Rio for three years awhile back, so he's gonna be a big help. You bet I'll post the pics if I can land one of them beasts!

9. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I read an article written by a man nicknamed toadman. He has since passed away. It talks about catfishing in south america. I tell you what I envy you and hope you hook into some of what he caught!!! Good luck.

10. sw2324

sw2324 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Man...you are going on my dream vacation........

11. dusky

dusky Member

State:
    indiana
    Well, I talked to one guide down there and he said that there aren't any of the big catfish around where I'm going, which is along the southern portion of the coast. From all the research I've done, it looks like all the guided catfishing is on the Amazon or its tributaries (especially Rio Negro), which are further north than what I'll be. Closest I'll get is Recife. I'm going to keep digging though. Something might pop up.

12. Danno93

Danno93 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'd like to try it one day...

13. Smuggo

Smuggo New Member

State:
    sc
    Little off the subject...

heard a joke that said Prez bush was informed about Brazillian nationals acting as a police force were attacted in Iraq...Although he was informed by his aides that there was no loss of life Bush remained adamant that justice be severved on their attackers..."We must counter strike now" he said "And how many is a Brazillion?"

Have a nice trip and good luck if you get to try some S.American fishing

14. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    sounds like fun! good luck .:big_smile:

15. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    I would love to do so.
    Especially to catch a paraiba or pirarucu.
    Although given my recent luck or lack thereof , I'd probably fall in at the wrong moment and be eaten by redbellies.:smile2::smile2: