Anyone catching skipjack?

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARKANSAS TALK' started by 8898dan, Jun 17, 2006.

1. 8898dan

8898dan New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Hey brothers
    Is anyone catching any skipjack anywhere? I was catching a lot of them at Murray Hydro up until about a month ago. Now its just 3 or 4 every time. I was wondering if there were any of yall in the state having better luck anywhere else? This is my first year fishing for skipjack so Im still learning. It seems like they were definitely biting a lot better in the spring though. Is it like that every year? Any tips would be greatly appreciated cause Im just about out of skipppies! Thanks.

2. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I never catch any skips in the spring or summer. I catch all of mine at the hot water outlet in the winter, freeze them for use in the summer. I have never really tried to catch skips below a dam but some people have very good luck.

3. 8898dan

8898dan New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Thanks for the reply. Are you talking about the nuclear plant at Russelville? Ill have to try that next winter.

4. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    The nuclear is actually in London Arkansas I fish it most of the time in winter.

5. fisherdude

fisherdude New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I have caught a lot of skips in the reactor outlet in Dec fishing red/white jigs on a sunny morning. We caught a couple two weekends ago below the dam at the water treatment plant on the Illinois Bayou. I have seem them caught in the current behind the Dardanelle dam.