Anyone catching Grinnell's???

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by muddyjet, Apr 1, 2008.

1. muddyjet

muddyjet New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I went catfishing this past Sat night and caught 2 Grinnell or Bowfins. Both were just over 10lbs.
    Dont know how many people catch or have caught them, I figured I would ask.
    Seems like I am starting to catch them on a regular basis' when I am catfishing.
    Maybe they are just on an up swing here in South Alabama.? Is anyone else seeing them more often?
    The state record here is a little over 18lbs and am starting to feel like if I focused on catching them it could be broken but I have no use for them, guess I was brought up being told they were 'trash' fish. And will be honest, they are :wink:if they take my bait that was intended to for my beloved 'cats'............

2. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i caught bowfin in e. tx and arkansas. that has to be one of the toughest fish swimming for its size hands down. i used to throw them on the bank or give them to other fishermen, but i guarantee it will be a catch and release deal any time in the future.

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I use to catch alot in south ark. They make decent cut bait but thats all i know there good for other than puttin up a good fight.

4. Migrator83

Migrator83 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    We catch quite a few in our city lake here in town, bunch in the 10lb range, they put up one of the best fights of any fish. Gotta respect a animal like that, so they all go back, except for a few(my neighbor eats them). My bro hooked into one a couple of days ago, it came off after is smashed his spinnerbait.

5. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    sounds like you had a good time

6. ChannelCatBen

ChannelCatBen New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I love 'em. Pound for pound one of the toughest fish in North America. They fight dirty, too... They continue to fight once you land 'em. I have a lot of respect for these fish.

I have caught most of mine while fishing cut bait. They hang out in a lot of the same spots I find cats. Once I catch one, I have to change my entire rig. They absolutely destroy my hooks, and the braided line comes back looking like a frayed piece of yarn.

My first bowfin (grinnell, dogfish, whatever you call 'em in your neck of the woods) was on an ultralight. Talk about fun!

7. huskerkat

huskerkat New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    If anyone is interested, there is a pretty interesting site dedicated to bowfin. If you guys want to know more about them, it has some good info on them.
    http://www.garfishing.com/