Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went catfishing this past Sat night and caught 2 Grinnell or Bowfins. Both were just over 10lbs.
Dont know how many people catch or have caught them, I figured I would ask.
Seems like I am starting to catch them on a regular basis' when I am catfishing.
Maybe they are just on an up swing here in South Alabama.? Is anyone else seeing them more often?
The state record here is a little over 18lbs and am starting to feel like if I focused on catching them it could be broken but I have no use for them, guess I was brought up being told they were 'trash' fish. And will be honest, they are :wink:if they take my bait that was intended to for my beloved 'cats'............

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
i caught bowfin in e. tx and arkansas. that has to be one of the toughest fish swimming for its size hands down. i used to throw them on the bank or give them to other fishermen, but i guarantee it will be a catch and release deal any time in the future.

·
Registered
56 Posts
We catch quite a few in our city lake here in town, bunch in the 10lb range, they put up one of the best fights of any fish. Gotta respect a animal like that, so they all go back, except for a few(my neighbor eats them). My bro hooked into one a couple of days ago, it came off after is smashed his spinnerbait.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I love 'em. Pound for pound one of the toughest fish in North America. They fight dirty, too... They continue to fight once you land 'em. I have a lot of respect for these fish.

I have caught most of mine while fishing cut bait. They hang out in a lot of the same spots I find cats. Once I catch one, I have to change my entire rig. They absolutely destroy my hooks, and the braided line comes back looking like a frayed piece of yarn.

My first bowfin (grinnell, dogfish, whatever you call 'em in your neck of the woods) was on an ultralight. Talk about fun!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.