Anyone catching flathead catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by Bill D Curtis, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Bill D Curtis

Bill D Curtis New Member

State:
    Blackwell Oklahoma
    I was wondering if anyone has been catching any flatheads in Oklahoma? Here in the northern part I am having no luck at all but I have an idea that it is due to the very low water conditons and extremely hot temps of earlier this summer. Maybe the fish changed their habits to adapt ?:0a36:

2. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Me and Wood18 have been catching a lot of flats in the river. Each time that we've gone for the past few weeks we've got mostly flats with one or two blues thrown in the mix. Flats are about the only thing biting in the river here right now.

3. catfishcrazyjr

catfishcrazyjr New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    what river would that be? man i cant catch a flat to save my life!

4. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    I can't seem to get anything to bite here in my office. :crazy: Lately I've just been wishin' instead of fishin'. :sad2: Sounds like it is real spotty, though. Are they only biting where there is good current right now?

5. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    We've been catching them in the north fork of the red river. Mostly in pretty steady current. We've been using fresh shad for bait. Not live shad, but fresh.

6. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I've caught a few small flatheads but, I haven't been fishing too much either. That darn thing called work and family been interfering with my fishin.:tounge_out:

7. osageCo_flathead

osageCo_flathead New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    My sister and her crew killed the flatheads the last 2 times they went....using frogs for bait. She went to Oologah below the damn and bird creek a few days latter...they caught 14. I know some people that caught flats at Kaw not so long ago as well.

8. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma

Chris, I deffinately know the feeling of work and family interferring with fishing. Seems like that has been my story all year, heck, even on my birthday. Maybe we'll get some good rain soon, and have the chance to get together to do some fishing.

I would LOVE to learn from you in person as you have much better luck than I have.

9. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Tony,
    There's no luck involved it's ALL skill. Oh wait there must be some luck involved because you caught two catfish at Keystone this year.:lol: :lol: :lol:

10. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    You are SOOO right about luck on those two.

11. catfishinfordman

catfishinfordman New Member

State:
    Broken Arrow, O
    I kinda forgot what that was like. I havent done any fishing since spoonbill season. Man that really stinks. But maybe I will get to do some really soon hopefully. I am in the process of moving from coweta to tulsa again. I have all of my belongings in storage but a couple of things which are my fishing poles and my disc for golf oh yea and some clothes.

12. TonyJr

TonyJr New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Y'all are catching them on dead bait?:cool2:

13. WOOD18

WOOD18 New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    That's A Big Affirmative Tony. We Went Last Night And While Jlingle Was Trying To Catch A Nap I Hooked A Big One, Well Big For Us. I Had To Wake Him Up To Help Me Land Him. We Have Found That Fresh Shad Thrown In A Cooler Or In A Zip Lock On Ice Works Well.

14. TonyJr

TonyJr New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    We're going tonight to give it a try!

15. WOOD18

WOOD18 New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    Good Luck Tell Us How It Went.

16. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I hit a couple of woodpiles in the north canadian tonight. no luck.

17. TonyJr

TonyJr New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    We had a good night! The water was low and wind was 20 mph plus!! I think it worked to our favor though!:wink:

18. WOOD18

WOOD18 New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    I Guess Since You Mentioned About The Wind That It Is Like It Is At Our Local Lake, If The Wind Aint Blowing The Fish Aint Biting.
    Glad You Had A Good Night.