Anyone catching flathead catfish in this Heat and water temps

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by whiteriverbigcats, Jul 31, 2006.

1. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I would just like to know If anyone if catching any good sized Flatties with the temps like they are... Im in central IN and it feels like 100 degrees outside.... I was going to go out tonight and try a Power company Dam and then move about 600 yrds south of there to a huge sand bar where a creek feeds into it and hope that the water temp there is a little cooler.... Just curious as to how everyone is fishing this heat...

2. FlatheadMan

FlatheadMan New Member

State:
    Freedom,Pa
    Been catching flattys ever night down on the ohio(Pa)

3. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Shane, the flatheads like the warmer temps well. They can be found close to drift using Shad and bluegill hooked live. To take the pressure off, fish later in the evenings, night and early morning hours. Vern

4. santeecat12

santeecat12 New Member

State:
    gastonia,nc
    we've caught eater size channels in the lake but not flatiess

5. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Shane, I landed my personal best flathead tonight. He is the one in the Avatar Picture. I will try to post a better pic here also. Vern

Attached Files:

6. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I went out on the 23rd. The water temp at the surface at dusk was 89.

I got 6 flatheads: 5 were 8 pounds or less and the 6th was 28.5

All of the fish were active and strong as heck. The heat didn't seem to bother them any.

Probably the bigger question would be if the disolved oxygen is OK. A lot of places the DO can get pretty low when the temps are this high.

7. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Im not catching any flatheads in the heat,:confused2: maybe i need to try at night though.

8. IL_CATFISH

IL_CATFISH New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Where are you going to fish shane?

9. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i caught 3 flatties round 15# each last nite before my brother vlparrish caught his personal best lol the same spot several days ago i caught a 35# flat at 3pm or so and the next nite caught that same cat again at 10:30pm been catchin alot of flats from the same hole iv checked their mouths and so far only caught 4 of them twice or more the biggest one iv caught 2 times and hung and lost once the heat doesnt seem to effect flatheads IMO blues have been scarce tho my bro did catch one last nite 40#+ but i havent seen one of any size in several weeks

10. whiteriverbigcats

State:
    Indiana
    Vernon that was a awsome fish man... congrats... i got a few the other night... 15# was the biggest.. i did what i said was going to do and the small creek really produced.... maybe i can hook up with ya sometime and fish the Ohio... i havent ever fished it but O boy do i want to!!! 52# is my personal best... but i caught it years ago

11. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    Hopefully find out first hand, tomarrow morning. It's been hot here, too. But, what I think is affecting the cats the most, is the river getting REALLY shallow, with very little current when its this low. Thus, depleting oxygen. But, then again, who knows.

-Red

12. HoosierPoleCat

HoosierPoleCat New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Whiteriver your in the same boat as I am....its been rough for RiverScum & I. Nothing with any size to them. Wanting to see of that rain they calling for. :big_smile:

13. whiteriverbigcats

State:
    Indiana
    yeah.. that rain came in finally... not as much as i had hoped for but its a start....... i would like to head out to the same spot tonight...... only time will tell i guess

14. whiteriverbigcats

State:
    Indiana
    Hoosier where do you fish the most?.... and what location in Indiana do you reside?

15. whiteriverbigcats

State:
    Indiana
    Not much Jim.. thought about hitting the Karaoke bar then heading down towards Martinsville to fish... You guessed ut the White river.. I havent seen any monsters come out of it as of late.. biggest had to be 30 something and that was way earlier in the year... no blues at all that i know of either but i know they are in there.... well good luck... by the way im just west of downtown indy..

16. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I haven`t been able to go I have adaughter that lives in IN next month we are going to see her I have afriend that has a small lake up there I will go on it they run 4-5 lbs we catch and release all we catch he wants them to grow a littie larger:cool2:

17. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    WhiteRiverBigCats, I took my friend and his GF fishing tonight and we caught four flatheads. It was Sheila's B-Day so she did most of the catching. Carl caught one around 8 pounds and Sheila caught a 4 , an 18 and a 35 pounder. All on live shad.I posted a pic of the three smaller ones and they are supposed to email me a pic off their camera of the biggun. The pics are in my gallery. Vern

18. whiteriverbigcats

State:
    Indiana
    Congrats on the catches... I went out tonight and didnt catch a one.... got all kinds of runs but didnt set the hook on any of them but Lenard (CatSeeman ) caught a 3.4# and that was it... hopefully next time... I think i should try fishing with you so i can catch a biggin...lol

19. serb

serb New Member

State:
    Drexel Hill, PA
    The water temperature tonight had to be over 80 degrees in eastern PA... the river actually felt gross. I had some luck so all was well.

20. whiteriverbigcats

State:
    Indiana
    congrats on the good night of fishing... Hopefully my next trip will produce better numbers