Anyone catching blues above Topeka on Kaw

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by mcseal2, Jun 11, 2009.

1. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    I was just wondering if anyone had caught any big blue cat upstream of Topeka on the Kansas River. I fish this area for flathead, and have not caught any blues above 9lbs. I was thinking of heading upstream near Junction City to where Milford's water hits the Kansas to see if any of the big blues from Milford ended up down there. Anyone tried this area?

2. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    ive tried it several times (3 minute drive) all i ever caught were channels, occasionaly someone pulls up a good flatty, but i never heard of a blue get taken from there yet.

3. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    I know Chris Phillips caught some last year around the Big Blue/Kaw, they have to be up there. :cool2:

4. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I have in the past caught some in the teens around the Willard area on the Kaw and I got one that was around 10 last year at the Weir in Topeka.

5. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Most folks pound the Big Blue from Hwy 24 boat ramp down to where it
    joins with the Kaw and take it east down around Wamego, sampling the
    big holes and snags along the way. Some turn upriver but there's a lot
    of deadwood and sandbars in the way. There is a big hole behind the
    golfcourse on Hwy 18 or the airport road that folks have been known
    to score on limblines. I haven't tried it yet personally. I don't do golf.

6. Tuttlecat

Tuttlecat Active Member

State:
    Wamego, Kansas,
    Caught a 2 pounder last year early at Wamego.....

A buddy caught a 10 pounder last year on a limbline. It gets hit hard by setliners here, so if there were many here, you would think they would get caught:confused2:

7. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    I fished quite a bit from Wamego downstream to Maple Hill and did not catch any, and I found a couple 25ft holes (the water was higher last year) that should have been good I thought. I was fishing live bait for flathead, but thought I might still catch one. Thanks for all the input, I was curious. We are fishing the river near Manhattan the next 2 nights, so I will let you know if we have any luck.

8. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    I can vouch for the tough going upstream of the Big Blue, we ran all the way up to Junction City last week with the mud motor, and we did a lot of grinding the prop in the sand. I will not try it at night, and I am usually not known for being cautious. There's some real good looking snags up that way but there are long runs between them and finding a channel deep enough to run can be difficult. The Kansas below the Blue is a whole different river, the flow at Wamego is 5x what it is at Ft Riley

9. Tuttlecat

Tuttlecat Active Member

State:
    Wamego, Kansas,
    Headed Manhattan way myself in the morning.....might see ya there.

10. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    We caught several fish, biggest a flat guessed at 14-16lbs. I was surprised to catch him on cutbait while trying for channel. Found a mulberry tree leaned out into the water and the channel were in there eating them. We had a few too, mulberrys are good.

11. Tuttlecat

Tuttlecat Active Member

State:
    Wamego, Kansas,
    I went out yesterday late morning for a couple hours,
    only caught a 6 or 7 pound channel :sad2:

She swallowed the Secret 7 and had to keep her. Plumb full of eggs.

12. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    We kept a flat about 12 lbs we hooked deep and 2 small ones 3-4lbs to eat, turned the biggest 2 and the channel back. The 2 small flats had eggs but the bigger one didn't. Got enough fish in the freezer for the year now, so the fun starts. Catching fish with no work cleaning them when I get home.