Anyone catching big blue catfish in Alton IL?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by steveturner024, Dec 1, 2009.

1. steveturner024

steveturner024 Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Steve Turner
    I've been fishing about 5 times since Oct. 3rd and haven't cought any cats. I fish in Alton IL up by the pump house or down at lewis and clark off route 3.

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Steven Welcome to the BOC. There are several on here that fishes the Alton area and someone will be along to help you.

3. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have not been fishing for a few weeks, but I usually check out the spots to see if anyone has been doing any good. Lately I have not talked to anyone who has caught any blues of size. I usually bank fish the area by the Lock and dam museum on the Alton side. I have also fish the Lewis and Clark area you mentioned. I assume you mean the Chain on Rocks canal area. I will probably try fishing at the dam a few times when and if the water drops some. Good luck and I hope you can find bait.

4. steveturner024

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Steve Turner
    I've had to buy bait from Bluff City the past few months. In the Spring when the water comes up again, I'll be catching a lot of shad down at the canal and freezing them so I don't have to buy bait when I can't catch it. The Bighead Carp are destroying the shad population. I still haven't figured out how to catch skipjak though.

5. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Steven.

6. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Next time you are in Bluff City Tackle, ask them to show you their sabiki rigs. They work great when the skipjack are around.

7. Motopro00

Motopro00 New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    i tried using a minnow trap in creeks to catch bait. there 8 bucks at wally world. put cheap dog food in it and come back and should have bait. i get 5" creek cubs and smaller one's.

8. steveturner024

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Steve Turner
    Thanks for all the replies.

9. atvracer

atvracer Member

State:
    IN-47501
    No fish story: Teen catches 80-pound catfish

Associated Press - December 21, 2009 9:44 AM ET
    ALTON, Ill. (AP) - The beast would have been enough for a feast. But 19-year-old angler Dustin McEwen says he's just happy to have had the experience of wrestling the 80-pound catfish to shore.
    The East Alton teenager muscled in the massive fish over 45 minutes while fishing the Mississippi River near Alton, using shad on his hook.
    McEwen says he knew the fish was huge, and he didn't want to lose it. His mission was to simply wear out the fish he later dubbed "Old Faithful" enough to reel it in.
    McEwen snapped photos of his large catch and contacted his wife, who hustled to the river with McEwen's 2-year-old daughter to see the catch.
    But the fish caught a break. McEwen released it back into the water to fight another day.

Information from: The Telegraph, http://www.thetelegraph.com

10. atvracer

atvracer Member

State:
    IN-47501
    Hey guys follow the link on the story above. I got to looking at it and the fish looks like a flathead. There are also comments by some of the readers.

11. Motopro00

Motopro00 New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri