Anyone catching anything on the Grand?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by mcseal2, Jun 11, 2009.

1. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    I have a friend who lives in Brookfield wanting my to come up and fish with him soon. I have a boat with a mud motor, so he wants to explore upstream from the Missouri river. Anyone have any experience with this, or any advice on where to go? We are looking for big blues or flats and practice catch and release. Thanks, Heath

2. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri

3. jlcperformance

jlcperformance New Member

State:
    moberly, missouri
    that is the wrong grand river that is down south by truman the grand he is talking about runs from up by iowa down into the missouri river near brunswick, i have fished there before but not this year. have heard the water has been running pretty hard through her this year so im sure there will be lots of log jams and stuff for cats to hide up under. would be excellent for using a mud motor since last time i went there my buddy lost his prop and prop shaft going down the channel between bosworth and brunswick. have never fished it as far north as brookfield but have heard of some big cats comin out of there up by chillicothe....sorry i couldnt be more helpful but good luck and i hope this helps a little.

4. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    my bad, thanks for clearing that up jeff.

5. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    My buddy said they caught some nice ones up by Chilicothe, but he couldn't get past a riffle about 10 miles above the Missouri at Brunswick with his boat and outboard. Hopefully we can find some virgin water by exploring upstream a little. I love having the mud motor for exploring new spots. I can run in 3-4" on plane with a light load at 20mph plus, but if I let out I am stuck good. I hate to run that shallow that fast, but sometimes that is what it takes. If anyone else has any info on the river up there please let me know, or I will post what we find after I make the trip.

6. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    I fished it between Bosworth and Sumner last weekend with limited success. We only caught Two Flatheads, both under 5 pounds and a hand full of Blues biggest being 15 pounds. Its been up and down so many times I have only fished it once this year. Its six feet over Flood stage now:crazy: As far as finding Virgin waters? Good Luck! We have a Family Cabin on the Grand and Launch small boats from a sand bar when the water gets Low. But normally from spring to early summer it runs enough water to travel on. At this point I don't know what Normal is any more :confused2:
    Good Luck!!

7. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    I think you are right, virgin waters are pretty scarce these days. At least you caught a few, that sounds promising. If the water isn't to crazy we may try it next weekend and see what we find.

8. Vector

Vector New Member

State:
    Midwest
    Here's a link to the river reading over there.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/mo/nwis/uv/?site_no=06899680&PARAmeter_cd=00065,00060

Water's been up good and high, and is on the drop now.

Like was said, I don't think you're going to find any water that has not been fished. There's LOTS of folks that fish the area from boat and bank, especially this time of year.

We've had some decent success there, but have always caught bigger fish (blues and flats) in the MO down from there rather than actually in the Grand.

Don't get me wrong. Folks DO tangle with some big boys in the Grand, and there's always a story every year of a REALLY big one getting caught on a trot in the Grand up near the Iowa line that's obviously made the spawn run when things were running high.

Good fishing!

Vector