anyone catching any around yuma?

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by SSgt Fishslayer, Apr 29, 2009.

1. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    is there anyone catching any cats in the yuma area. i am getting ready to go oerseas and will miss the summer fishing so i am trying to get into some before i take off. anybody know if they are hitting in the canals or in the river?

2. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Hey Joey,
    I fish in the Blythe area, and the fish are starting to hit OK,
    Some guys I saw last weekend nailed some almost 40#'s, and a bunch of others of less weight, in the main channel. I caught fish all through the winter in the canals and backwaters.
    Flats and channels seem to be interested in feeding!!
    I would like to get down to the Yuma and start learning it,, haven't fished down that way any..
    Good luck

3. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    Joey, i've been fishing fairly regulary and not with any luck. main river, back channels, every bait i can think of. wish i could report different.
    gary

4. SSgt Fishslayer

State:
    south carolina
    i went out yesterday afternoon. stayed till about 8 or so. had 3 runs, on one caught a 3lbs largemouth bass. this was while using cutbait. the other 2 didnt pan out. ran into a guy who caught a smaller flathead on nightcrawler. that was the only hit he had all afternoon. i dont know why they are not feeding as much right now. the water temp is right where it should be, the weather has been warm for a couple weeks, this is all a mystery to me. well thanks for the info, i will try it again this weekend.

5. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Joey,
    Hope you rip out a good one! I wish I can give you some help in that area, but I have never fished there. Good luck overseas. Hope you get back in time for the fall bite!

~A

6. SSgt Fishslayer

State:
    south carolina
    went out friday night to the canals. caught 2 flatties (one about 10 lbs one about 3 lbs), one channel ( 10 lbs), and a cou0ple of largemouth. caught another largemouth on cutbait, this one pushing 7 lbs. i will put up some pics when i get them on the comp.

7. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    good to hear joey. i still can't drive at night, so haven't been able to do any nite fishing.
    ray, (one that was in larger boat with tom when we went to picacho) will be at squaw lake thu and fri nite he thinks. just letting you know.
    gary

8. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Sounds like a pretty good fishin trip Joey,, that's a big ol bass... Looking forward to the pics!!

9. SSgt Fishslayer

State:
    south carolina
    i dont think i will be heading out this weekend. some stuff going on i will let you guys know about at a later date

10. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I take it you're tkaing off the with Sheep? Ive been talking to those guys all day trying to contacts for care packages. Let me know so I get you hooked up too bro!

As for the fishing, I just got back from hunting this past week so Im going to try to get out there. I always wondered if we move into the spawn earlier than the rest of the country since were so much warmer? I hope not though...I was doing pretty good on my last few outtings. I have not been skunked yet...

11. SSgt Fishslayer

State:
    south carolina
    yeah i am getting ready to join the herd and bounce out with the black sheep. i think that the flats in tha canals are either just getting reayd to spawn or are finished. i know the bass in the canals are spawned out and the gills are just starting to go on the beds. the cat bite has picked up in the canals, the best thing to use is cut bait or live gills. caught a 2 lbs flathead on a 8 inch bluegill friday night. so it should be pretty good for you. the best time is when the water is up and the current is moving.

12. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Well Gary.... its official.... heading out on thur... with any luck be in the water and fishing with mackeral once the wife is settled in .... See Ya Friday when you can make it.... cell 310 490 2677

Bayrunner Ray

13. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    cool ray, see you down there.
    gary

14. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Hey, I may see you guys out there this weekend. I always put in at Squaw but Im sort of commited to a kid's b-day party though. Since I took off all last week to go hunting, Im paying back some time:cool2:.

15. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    be glad to see ya finally. LOL
    gary

16. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I just talked to my wife about going fishing instead of the b-day party when I went home for chow...the look she gave me said it all! Just gives me inspiration to try that much harder to go!