Anyone bullhead fish anymore?

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by huntoften, Mar 28, 2008.

1. huntoften

huntoften New Member

State:
    Missouri
    There's no fish I'd rather catch and eat than a big blue cat...those big steaks grilled with lemon pepper or cajun seasoning are gourmet to say the least. However, I've got a hankering for some fried bullhead. I used to catch a lot of them when I was a kid in some farm ponds, but all I can catch anymore are channels in these areas. Anyone know of a place to find some of these yellow fleshed delicacies? I'll supply the band-aids for after we get done cleaning them!:crazy:

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If you want to come down to the DeGray gathering just south of Hot Springs, I can just about guarantee you lots of bullheads, some pretty good size. At last year's gathering there, it seemed like I couldn't keep them off my lines.

3. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    All ya gotta do is go fishing for channel cats-then all you will catch is bullheads:crazy:works for me:angry:

4. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    If all your getting is channels in a place where you use to get bullheads thats a good problem. That means the water quality has gotten better. Water quality has a lot to do with bullheads. They seem to be able to withstand a more poorer water.

5. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I don't think I've caught a bullhead in the last 25 years...

6. huntoften

huntoften New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Ok...seems that I need to travel to Arkansas to catch some yellow bellies :cool2:

I wonder if the CRP program has improved the water quality aroud those ponds and let the channels take over. I like channels, but bullheads taste a lot better IMHO.

On another note...are bullheads still considered non-game fish? We used to use them for flathead bait. Haven't caught any in years so haven't thought about them as bait. Anyone know if it's still legal?

7. deadweight_sinkersho

deadweight_sinkersho New Member

State:
    Iowa
    hey theres this hole here in des moines called water works and theres lots of bull heads in there, i seen a kid catch a 2 or 3 pounder in there, its pretty loaded, or in davenport credit island park, lots of bullys there, watch it though lots of gays cruise that place, the safest is waterworks, its on fluer drive, hope that helps:wink:

8. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I havent caught a bull head before

9. The J-Man!

The J-Man! New Member

State:
    St.Paul, MN
    Bullheads are plentiful in a lot of city lakes here in the Twin Cities. Just throw a line in with a little grub or worm on the bottom and have fun taking them off the hook. I don't eat them (never have) but they make great flathead bait!

10. huntoften

huntoften New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Ok...Arkansas, Iowa, and Minnesota have bullheads...they are extinct in Missouri! :angry:

Come on now...skin them, gut them, bread in cormeal and deep fry....you can eat them like corn on the cob! You guys know where they are, but are keeping a secret! :wink::smile2:

11. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    When I have found them, it's usually been on the headwaters of a stream at night. But that's probably because that is where I often fish. In clear water, you won't catch them much when the sun is up. Muddy water, they don't seem to care.:tounge_out:

12. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    i had a nice spot for bulls here in topeka but the last time i was there they weren't. there is a good sized creek that runs through town that has lots of em but i think its still too cold maybe. i like takin the boys from the ball team w/ light tackle and watch em have fun when the little guys bend the little poles. poor little bullheads, they sure think they are big fish dont they :smile2:

13. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    Liggett Cove @ Lake Jacomo in Blue Springs, MO

14. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Personally Far as eating goes nothing better than good ol Yellow bellies fried up. Used to catch a lot of them up around Qcy,Il. but seems flood of 93 screwed those places up. Wish I could find a good spot.

15. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    I still like a good mess of Bullheads. My friends like to tease me about them but don't mind eating them when I fry a bunch of them up. Still one of the better eating fish in my book.
    Bill

16. slimer1

slimer1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If you can find any old slue's (spelling?) on the blackwater river you can find many of them. What is the best way to cook them? Everyone told me they were muddy tasteing and there was a good time and bad time for cooking them.

17. Roscoe Dog

Roscoe Dog New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I use to go with my dad to Morse lake when I lived in Iowa and we would tear up the bullheads. Told my wife I wouldnt mind taking a drive up there and bullhead fish for a weekend. Both for the memories and for some good eating bullheads.

18. willybob

willybob New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I catch them all the time Never really cared much for the texture of the meat
    much though, falls apart before it hits the breading and just crumbles in the
    oil. They taste ok but I pefer ol channel cats more as far a eating.

19. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    We catch them all over the place here. I dont care to eat them.......but the Flatheads sure do like them.:crazy:

20. sigpros

sigpros Member

State:
    missouri
    grindstone lake just east of Cameron Mo on 36 hwy. One of my "little" honey holes. Not a big lake at all. but a crappie rig with worms near the boat dock works well.