Anyone brew their own

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by SGTREDNECK, Aug 24, 2009.

1. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Anyone brew their own beer? I am going to start and looking for advice and some insight on what kits to buy. I want to brew something dark with alot of flavor. Something with some kick. All help with be greatly appreciated. Thanks Andrew

2. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    Several of my friends brew beer, but I don't know much about that. I used to make my own wine and got it to taste pretty decent after I made many batches that weren't very good, but I don't anymore. When my friends started brewing from kits the first few batches of beer were awful, barely drinkable. It's like any hobby, practice practice. Now they brew awesome stuff, it just took getting the hang of it.

My cousin runs a home brew shop that sells organic material, I guess there is a market for organic home brew.

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have in the past,But the kit I had only brewed a gallon at a time,its a very involved process,takes right at a month , from start to bottle ready to drink. I will get back into it ,but when I do it will be at least 5 or 10 gallon batches at a time. Do a google search ,theres some great places that furnish supplies.

4. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I used to brew pretty good beer, but it was either that or the wife. (ya I know) I would suggest get a 6.5 gal main, and a couple 5 gal glass bottles as secondary fermenters. Read the book "The joy of home brewing" and have a good time. I would suggest 20 or larger bottles, and get a good capper. There is a bunch of extraneous stuff ya need, but you will figure it out. Keep a record of what you make, like a log or diary so you can duplicate it. It includes amounts, times, ingredients etc. When its bottling time make sure everything is sterile. It can be time consuming, I enjoyed it, and ya can make some pretty good stuff for at least half what it cost in the store once ya get set up.

A few days to brew, a couple weeks in the secondary, and a week in the bottle and time in the refer and go for it. Its fun to try different things too.

5. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks for the input guys. I am looking into the kits now. I too want to be able to brew 10-20 gallons at a time, instead of the smaller batches. I will let you know what i find out. I just need to set up a still in the back yard:big_smile:

6. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I found a pretty nice beer kit. let me know what you think.
    http://brewgadgets.com/

Its the one on sale this month. It looks pretty nice to me, but i don't know much about it. And I am looking for a medium to dark beer, with some kick. Any suggestions?

7. catman79

catman79 New Member

State:
    iowa
    not realy sure on brewing beer,i bought a kit but havent used it yet,i do know how to make my own whiskey though,ok lets call it about 98% straight grain alcohol.very tasty but wow it had a kick lol

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

Looks like a decent starting place to me. Thats just about what I am needing.

9. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I brewed my own beer a few times and it turned out okay. You have to do a lot of experimenting to make it the way you want. I'd rather just buy a 30 pack. I've had bottles explode on me in the case I was storing them in..Be careful!:crazy:

10. festus

festus New Member

I used to make beer, but I still make wine. You've got a good idea about beginning with a dark beer. The most difficult beers to make are light beers and lagers. Ales, porters and stouts are much easier, IMHO. One good kit beer to make is Dogbolter, if it's still available. It's either a stout or dark ale. One can makes 3 gallons. When I was a teenager I used to make Red Top Ale. Ingredients: 1-3.3 lb. can of Red Top hopped malt extract, 5 lbs. sugar, 5 gallons of water, 1 pack ale yeast. This would make 2 cases of beer for less than $2.00. Of course, I'm talking 1960's prices. There's a lot more good kit beers out there than there used to be. The only choice we had when I was growing up was Red Top and Blue Ribbon.

11. Bricky

Bricky New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Never brewed any beer before. but I do make homemade wine working on 5 gallon of pear wine right now. last month I made 5 gallon peach wine
    I have them in the carboy right now

12. festus

festus New Member

Lots of good wine comes from Missouri and Arkansas. I'm not sure if muscadines are native to MO or not, but I have drunk AR muscadine wine. The first winery I visited was Post's Winery in Altus.

One time a friend gave me a 1/2 gallon jug of Concord wine from MO. Can't remember the name or site of the winery. It was good, however. You don't see much wine sold in the old original 1/2 gallon cider jugs anymore

13. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    I've been brewing my own beer for 8 years now. I brew consistently throughout the year in 5-15 gallon batches. I even brought a batch to the Georgia gathering this past spring. Not sure if I can give other websites on here, but check out austinhomebrew.com. They have some great deals on shipping and have tons of experience and supplies and TONS of beer recipes with detailed descriptions.

By "kick", do you mean a hoppy, bitter finish? If so, you want to brew an India Pale Ale, or IPA.

There used to be a member on here, his username was brew1981 or something like that. I know he is very experienced as well.

Be sure you use a glass or steel fermenter and liquid yeast. Oh, "The Joys of Homebrewing" is indeed the book to own.

14. festus

festus New Member

During the few times I made beer, I never advanced past the malt extract-hop extract systems. I would bottle it at the 1.005 or 1.006 stage on the hydrometer, then let it naturally carbonate in the bottle. Another way to bottle carbonate is to let the beer go flat, then prime each bottle with a 1/2 tsp of sugar. The beer will referment just enough to add carbonation without exploding bottles.

My girlfriend's oldest son has a really sophisticated brewing system. He uses whole malt and grains, with a few adjuncts. He's more into stouts and ales. He serves his on tap but will occasionally bottle a few to give to friends. He has some type of brewing software on his computer, it's really fascinating. I tried one of his ales, it wasn't very strong, somewhere around 4.5% abv, but it sure was tasty.

Here's where I buy my supplies: http://fermentstation.com/ It's in Knoxville, TN, I usually visit the premises, but I think maybe they have a mail order service, also. I haven't made any wine yet this year. My muscadine grapes will be ripe shortly. Last year I made between 30-40 gallons of muscadine alone.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  15. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas
    Im pretty sure my grandpa used to brew his own. He used to drink allllll the time. Dont get me wrong, he wasnt an abusive stumbling slobbering drunk though, just always needed his beer. lol.

We just found out he has a mass on his lung and the doc's think its cancer. He has to get a biopsy now. He used to be a very heavy smoker before I was born.

Anyways, about a month now he hasnt had a real beer, at least he says this. lol. he buys the non-alcholic beer stuff. He said it works for him. He said he overall feels better too!

Anyways, I'll ask him for the scoop on how he did it!

16. festus

festus New Member

The book I learned to make beer from was named "Home Brewing Without Failures" by H.E. Bravery. http://www.amazon.com/Home-brewing-without-failures-Bravery/dp/B0006BO1YE/ref=cm_cr_dp_orig_subj

It is a very old book, written in 1965. It describes some ingenious ways to brew beer with inexpensive equipment not even designed by homebrewers, such as using an aquarium immersion heater with temperature controls for the brewing stage. It also goes into mead and cider production. Every recipe I tried in this book turned out well.

17. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Tim was on last night; brew1961 is his username. He has a nice setup; here's a link to his website if y'all want to look at it.

http://www.atwellmicrobrew.com/