Anyone Beside Me Think The 2 Rod Law Stinks!

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by Pennsylvaniacatchaser, Apr 25, 2006.

1. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    One of my least favorite fishing laws we have here in Pa. is the 2 rod law! I understand it on a Trout stream where I would only use 1 rod anyway or a small lake where you have to respect those around you but when I'm out on say the Allegheny River on my boat why can't I use 3 or 4 rods if I desire? I'm not out keeping fish as I practice mostly CPR. It's just that say I'm doing an all nighter on the pontoon and I want to toss out a couple 'gills for Flatheads, then that's all I can do! I would also like to maybe put out a rod with a nightcrawler and perhaps a doughball or fathead, etc. I guess I should shut up or the Fish Commission will start selling extra rod stamps!!!!:rolleyes:

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    The same rule exhists in Jersey. The bizzare part is that in creeks like Racoon for example,wich is a good size creek, ya can use as many rods as ya want. Makes ya stop and scratch your head. LOL! I would go for the extra rod stamp idea. It exhists in other states.

3. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Man that sucks! Glad I live in Tennessee. LOL

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    we have the same law here in ohio, and yes it stinks! im all in favor of an extra pole stamp.

5. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    He!! Mike you can take an exra rod, just tell them it aint for fishing it's for protection against those crazy boaters you have come across lately. LOL

6. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Here in California (The land of stinking fishing Laws), we have that same law but, you may use two rods only if your fishing on a lake or rev.:rolleyes:

But I fish the California Delta (a river) so that dosen't help me out none.

"I hate that law"! :mad:

Bert:cool:
    (Shaina)

7. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    :confused: HERE IN MO. YOUR ALLOWED 2 POLES ALSO. UP UNTIL 3 YEARS AGO YOU COULD USE 3 THEN THEY CAME TO AN AGREEMENT WITH IL. NOW ITS 2 . IF I READ THE LAW RIGHT FOR MO. IT SAY IN ORDER TO USE MORE THAN 2 POLES YOU HAVE TO PUT NAME ,ADDR,AND PHONE NO.ON EXTRA POLES. KIND OF LIKE BANK LINES. THEY SAY THEN THIER NOT CONSIDERED ROD AND REELS. JUST DON'T MAKE SINCE TO ME. MYSELF I HATE THE LAW. BUT OUR HANDS ARE TIED.

8. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Glad to say SC is more sensible. Shore based fishermen are limited to 2 rods per person. From a boat, you can use all you want.

Limiting the rods in a boat would really piss off the crappie fishermen, not to mention the bass fishermen. How do those guys cope? Are they allowed only one rod, or can you have multiples, just can't have more than one bait out at a time?

9. eggman

eggman New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Missouri
    John, I think that we are allowed 3 rods here in Missouri at present time. They changed from 2 to 3 not to long ago. I could be wrong but I fish with three poles all the time.

egg

10. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Oklahoma allows 7 rods and reels, but it is hard to use that many at one time. Most catment limit themselves to two or three poles. It's just nice knowing the extra limits are there if we want them. I keep thinking the state is infringing on our rights, then read about the states with a two pole limit, or a limit of 33 hooks on a trotline and I know our 100 hook limit is pretty generous. Hang in there guys, it is just the world we live in.

11. Bucktail033

Bucktail033 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Catchaser i agree with you but if we keep pushing for the extra rod, the Fish Commission who is extra money hungry, will start charging us for extra rod stamps. Its extremely upsetting.

12. Crispy Critter

Crispy Critter New Member

State:
    Missouri
    We're allowed 3 UNLABELED poles in Missouri except on the Mississippi River where we can only have 2 UNLABELED poles.funny thing is on the Mississippi we can have 50 hooks and everywhere else it's 33 hooks.

The way I understand it we can have more poles if they're labeled with name and address as long as we don't exceed the hook limit.

13. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Now for me I dont really care about the law I only use one rod and reel. I may take more with me expecially when bass fishing but I use one at a time trout I use one cat I use one Never have or ever will use 2 rods at one time. So I wouls say to me it dont stink.

14. Outlw36

Outlw36 New Member

State:
    Prineville, Oregon
    Guess you guys wouldn't like it here in Oregon then. 1 pole 1 line unless you are at least 3 miles off the coast in the Pacific. Doesn't bother me a bit. When bank fishing with friends, if they gotta leave at all to relieve themself or whatever they better reel in thier line first too.

Jim

15. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think it stinks,and always will, :mad: untill someone can give me a reasonable explanation why it is a prudent thing to do.
    I mean, why did they set a limit of two poles in the first place? :confused:

16. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    No doubt that the 2 rod law really stinks. I feel that someone could handle atleast three rods. Even if you had to pay for a stamp for a third rod I would probably go for it. I could not even imagine fishing with only one rod.

17. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I feel your pain. Im in PA too. I'd be happy with 3 rods and could manage them all if I needed to.

18. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    Same in IL. I don't know really why they do this. I only have 2 rods, but still, i would like to have more to catch more.

19. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Glad it's not like that here in NC. My dad and I usually use at least 5 pole's each when fishing off the bank by ourself's. If we're fishing near other people we give respect to them though and use like 1 or 2 pole's. I think it's a very stupid rule to only have 2 pole's per person. I hope it never happen's here!

20. jigerjim

jigerjim Member

State:
    North East Pa.
    Even thow I live by the 2 rod law here in Pa. I think the rule read's you can only use 2 rod's for game fish. Now my question is, is a catfish a game fish? I alway's though of it as a rough fish. Game fish would be Trout, Bass, Walleye, Muskie,s and so on. What do you guy's think???