Anyone been to the GOON lately

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by delbert bumbleshoot, Mar 14, 2009.

1. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Is there a white bass run up the goon? anybody been crappie fishin there lately. Will be trout fishin tommorrow but I'm hopin to get down to Pomona Sunday. Looks like the main lake is about 45 degrees so it says the fish are still deep but bellyed up to cover. I've only been there one time but I got my bass boat fixed up and I haven't been out in a long time.Any tips would be appreciated Where do you guys fish for cats there? What bait should I take?

2. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Yoy can usally start catching the whites in the pools below the riffles.
    I have not been down there since it iced up but I'm sure i could catch crappie or whites there.

PS..the 1st BIG log jam you come to heading up river is alwas holding whites this time of yr.Fish the area just above this jam.

For the cats I would put in on the goon and head east toward the lake.Fish all the snags/stumps out on the flat.Just go slow when you round the last bend it gets real shallow but them cats willl be up there.

3. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Tom is right about it getting real shallow, pull the big motor up so you do not get stuck. some places are just a foot or so most of it averages around 2.5 to 3. We had good luck last year with cats working the west shore line right at the mouth.

4. delbert bumbleshoot

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Water had come down several feet from last week.It left large amounts of debris and about six inches of goooey mud on the boat ramp. I was definitely in the wrong boat my triton is not too easy to launch without floating the back end off the trailer. Since we had worked on the bass boat I wanted to take it and see if any of the stuff was fixed. I brought the wrong boat. I had to sell my monster 4 wheel drive a couple years ago. So heavy boat + no 4wheel drive + 6" of mud = an unusable ramp. I ran into Troy {KS kuhl cats} down there he didn't have 4 wheel drive either. Nice to meet you Troy:smile2: We ended up going to Melvern and caught 6 smallmouth on deep divers. I called the corp of engineers at Pomona to complain about the ramp. I reckon a Bobcat could make quick work of it.Next time I'll take a grain scoop and the jon boat. We did get the speedo and the tach fixed but the bilge pump and the depth sniffer are still messed up. It did run real well though. We made 63 on the gps with 3 guys in the boat.

5. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Thanks for the report...yes that ramp after high water can be a mess.But they get down there pretty fast most times and clean it.

You didnt try for any cats at Melvern??

6. chadku

chadku New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I saw on the corps page that they were drawing water out until today and then basically shutting her off....I wonder if it has cleared up any. I planned on going there Saturday bc it the wind is gonna blow more than likely. I am a little worried about the ramp and real muddy water:crazy:

But I will let you know what we run into as I imagine I will try it first anyway. Hopefully a week of no rain cleared it up.

7. delbert bumbleshoot

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Hey Tom I need you or Chad to show me how to catch them crappie any time but during the spawn. We had my gps with a few attractors marked but we didn't do too good at finding them.Didn't have any cat stuff/bait. I'll be after 'em from now on though.My buddy wanted to Smallmouth fish.

8. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Eric I promise we will go out this coming winter and catch some of those deep water crappie.I know a few place's..:wink:
    But I'm cattin right now until then.

9. delbert bumbleshoot

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    I can hold my own on the channel cats. we'll have to get after them starting this weekend.Problem is that's all I catch even when I'm trying to catch blues and flatheads.

10. chadku

chadku New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Last time I was on the goon was early Dec with Charlie and we were on one of Tom's holes:smile2:....Did not leave there in 4 hours and had 100 fish...not all keepers though....But it was on.

I am not sure if they will be in the same area, but they should...There was deep and shallow water nearby. But if not I have some other spots in there that I have caught plenty of fish at.

Charlie sometime we need to get out for some cats this year....Unless I am up a creek I have never had any luck catching em. I am looking to branch out a little this year from just crappie and bass fishing...would like to get on some cats and eyes eventually.

11. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Sounds good Chad............I'm hoping to do more longline trolling for the various Clinton residents:wink:

12. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    If your looking for Big eye's at clinton think WOOD!

You can catch them little cigars all day long out on the flats but if you are looking for BIG walleys give me a shoot somtime and I can show you a trick on them Big fish there.:wink:

13. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    I'm all over that Tom!!! Anything I can learn to put eye's in the boat on a regular basis is something I'm up for. Since you mentioned the flats, I assume you are talking about a post-spawn pattern?? Let me know when the time is right and we'll give it a whirl. Please don't make me throw crankbaits in the timber, there just too damn expensive:sad2:.

14. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Charlie, Have you seen any shad up your way?? Keith, Jake and I are going to bowersock in the morning Sat. and we were thinking maybe will head to clinton also to maybe try the outlet.

15. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    No can help Shelby, haven't caught one in the thrownet yet this year!!

16. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    Good luck, hopefully soon We ll be out testin our new ride out. We re going to try a ramp that is a little more stable than that one sounds, you were cruising at 60 +, on the water, Id be glad to hit 25 to 35, we still have to test all our stuff ,hope you get those bugs worked out

17. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    If anyone is needing to net BIG shad go to Perry under the 92 bridge.You need a boat but you can fill bucket's full. They are stacked in there 5-8' thick.

18. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Thanks for the heads up Tom, I might just head that way tomorrow. Heard some crappie where being caught up that way.

19. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    I seen a few crappie being caught from the causeway this morning from bank fisherman.They are getting real close to turning on...

20. chadku

chadku New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I got a report today from HWY 92 Bridge and it was not good for crappie....way up the Delaware they were really catching the white bass though.

I hit the Goon today. Ramp is clean and good to go. Water is back to a normal creek stain. Fishing though was not that good. Only 21 crappie in 4 1/2 hours with only 7 keepers and 2 whites. Biggest fish got off at the boat and probably would have been 14...All keepers we boated were around 10". But just good to get on the water.