Anyone been snagging for Paddlefish lately?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by Noodler87, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Noodler87

Noodler87 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Was wondering if snagging for Paddlefish is good right now at Kaw or Grand? I am thinking about taking my girlfriend and a friend of mine to Kaw or Grand for snagging Paddlefish on the first weekend of March..

I check the fishing report for Grand, they said snagging in Grand River is excellent at 30 to 60 feet, do I really need a boat at Grand or can snagging from banks? I am just curious..

2. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    You will definitely need a boat. The fish are stacked like cordwood just above Sailboat Bridge. They are between 40 & 60' on bottom currently. This info came from ODWC staff last night. Blues are in 15-20' on flats adjacent to river channel in Grey's Ranch launch area. Many in 15-25 # range. Use cut shad. Shad are located in coves around Grey's Ranch

3. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I was at Ft Gibson on Thur. they had 9 gates open so no spoonbill. When they shut the gates and leave the turbines on they will start to move in.

4. Noodler87

Noodler87 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Oh man! I don't have a boat, but I will have to ask my dad to see if I can borrow his boat to Grand lake next weekend... Is there any good bank access above the Twin Bridge? My grandma live about 30 min away from Twin Bridge and I have never had any chance to fishing there before..

5. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    They will be moving upriver to miami before long and you can bank fish there.

6. healthydrink

healthydrink New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    My son and his crew have been snagging below Oologah dam for the past month when the water is steady for several days they move in at the 1000 feet mark. They only snag from the bank there. I have not heard of any big ones caught but a few in the 30lb range are being taken.

7. streamer78

streamer78 Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've been thinking about snagging around the sailboat bridge area in the next couple of weeks too. I've never been snagging anywhere this early in the year, so any info on where to be would be appreciated. I've got a boat, so that's not an issue. If anyone gets into some good snagging on grand, let me know. Then I'll have to gas up and make the trip down!

8. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    I will be heading to Grand Lake in the morning. Suppose to be nice and less wind. I will put in at Bears Den next to sailboat bridge and start working up lake and see if I can find any. Probable try to catch a few cats for supper to. Anybody have a white bass report from the twin bridges area? I will post tomorrow night and let you know how i do. thx rudeopossum

9. rudepossum

State:
    Missouri
    Well I made it to the lake yesterday. Man it sure was nice to be out on the water. There was a few spoonbill around sailboat bridge, but graphed a bunch up along Gray's Ranch area. Kind of surprised how low the lake was. Heard that the white bass where hitting hard up spring river.

10. KSFish

KSFish New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Getting the urge to snag something fierce! Been molding sinkers the past couple days! READY TO GO!!! :smile2:

11. rudepossum

State:
    Missouri
    Forgot to mention the get together the last weekend in March at Twin Bridges. U can find the thread under the gatherings section.

12. Noodler87

Noodler87 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Anyone has been snagging paddlefish at Kaw tailwater lately? I was wondering when is the best time to go there?

13. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Rememder to get your spoonbill permit!!!!

14. Noodler87

Noodler87 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

Yes I have my spoonbill permit! I am ready to catch a big paddlefish this Saturday!

15. KSFish

KSFish New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Me to! I can't wait to hook that first one. My 8 yr old is chomping at the bit to hook another.

:smile2:

16. KSFish

KSFish New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Spent some time last night getting ready! :smile2:

Attached Files:

17. Duzy

Duzy New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Anybody got an update? Are they running yet?

18. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    any of you guys going to make the Twin Bridges gathering?

19. Noodler87

Noodler87 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    My best friend, his girlfriend, my fiance, and I went to Kaw Tailwater on Saturday from 6:45am to 1:45pm.. My friend's girlfriend and I caught two Paddlefish that weight 33 pounds and 59 Pounds. It was pretty slow and there was about 8 guys were snagging but only saw 4 or 5 fish caught. We have fun though! My fiance and my friend have been snagging for 7 hours and they only caught some big carps, shad, a catfish, and no paddlefish.. but they did snag some big fish and it broke their lines..

117_0627.jpg 117_0625.jpg

20. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i went to kaw tailwater the day after Kirt did Sunday morning and couldnt snag one.. only saw 2 caught one was about 25 and the other was close to 40.. there were quite a few people out there trying though..

that was the first time i had ever been snagging and it seems like baitcasting reels dont retrieve fast enough.. safe to say i'll be bringing spinning gear next time i go :wink: