Anyone been on the Muskingum?

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Shad Man, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    I was going to fish the Muskingum River this weekend above Zanesville. I was just wondering if anyone has been having any luck for flattys with the low water conditions.

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Don't get up there, or anywhere this year, for that matter. Plenty of boys on here who will help you out. we will bump this post to the top to get more attention

3. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    Well I ve been chasing the flats at night.But they are still slow.
    Maybe the storm will hit today.I just got back.And I was skunked and Buddy was to .Just to lite Bites.Dresden Pool
    Thanks Luckey Wade

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Hey luckey wade, I hope you guys start doing better soon, keep us updated.

5. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    Yeah I figure this rain will help from Fay but I will probably be fishing a fallin river on Sunday night when I get back in town:angry:

6. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    It can't fall too far lol!

7. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    I know. I was wondering if I would even be able to get my boat off the trailer!

8. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    She's pretty low right now! This rain should help things out some though. I don't look for it to come up a bunch, but it should get things moving around alittle bit! Hopefully, with rain in the forecast friday, it will be alittle better this weekend than it has.. goodluck, rollo

9. speeditwin

speeditwin New Member

State:
    ohio
    My sons and I caught plenty on the trotline , one had a bluecat swallowed down by a shovelhead that went 35lbs , we lost another that was on right beside it. The gars were real bad, and we only baited at night for 3 days, cleaned fish all morning, we had over 50lbs of fillets .We caught shovelhead ,blues and channels. The shovelheads were on the deep side of the line in the middle.We caught plenty on the rod and real at Luke Chute on gizzards ,and down by the powerplant

10. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Welcome to the site... 50lbs. of fillets hopefully feeds you and the family for a long time! Hope you practice catch and release some also.. rollo:cool2:

11. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    are bluecats showing up in the muskingum now?

12. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Welcome to the board Wayne. I'll get your rep started for reporting such a good night and bunch of fish! I wish we had some blues up this way. Sounds like you and your sons have a good time fishing. I have to start filling my freezer for winter soon too. :big_smile:

13. speeditwin

speeditwin New Member

State:
    ohio
    We sure had a good time. My father has a cabin below the powerplant , and we had not been there for 4 years.He was mowing the grass when he had a heart attack, and to far from town.We really liked the river growing up there , and my son was interested in going up and fishing before he left for the army.We always caught bluecats in this area of the river and they seemed to be eaten pretty regular on the trotline by the big shovelheads.We only fished this year, and we put the small shovelheads back.We sure like the catfish we caught, we had a big fishfry , just oil and half cornmeal and half flour ! Oh, and a mandatory beer with dinner . I was amazed at how low the river was, as I mainly fished after easter each year, on the rise of the river using banklines and bluegills. I went out to the AEP lakes and they were all closed where we used to get bait.Things have changed. My boys enjoyed using the glass traps to get bait , and we had bait to spare ,and the creeks were low. The boys did not care , we just waded from pool to pool getting lots of creek chubs.We went to chubs after the gars worked the line over and we caught more fish ! The weather was perfect , and it felt great being back on the river.Im looking forward to heading up again once more ,in the spring...thats my favorite time to get the big ones !

14. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    I agree with rollo. Some of those fish you kept are likely older than your kids. Catch and Release can go along way especially on the Muskingum were fishing pressure has increased dramatically since I started fishing it 10 years ago.