Anyone been fishing on the river?

Discussion in 'ALABAMA RIVER TALK' started by Mike81, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I haven't got chance since last weekend...anyone been out? It's just too dang hot during the day...I need a top on my boat for shade or need to get out and do some night fishing again soon. I start working at night this week, 4 p.m. -12 a.m., so not sure when I'll have time. May try to fish alot of mornings when no one is out there...

Good fishin
    mike

2. BamaRiverRat

BamaRiverRat New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I haven't been on the river, but I have a line or two on Jordan. Been doing pretty good with those. They are finally moving water again up here.

3. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    its hard to find a cat bite down here these days. too hot and the salt water has moved way way up the delta.

4. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    What you been catching, blues? I been wanting to get over on Jordan soon too, maybe next week after all the holiday boats go home. Probably Michtell dam area but may try the canal and Bouldin dam area. Ever had any good luck up in there??

Good Fishin
    mike

5. BamaRiverRat

BamaRiverRat New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I thought about the canal a few times, but every time I do the weather gets me.

I've been catching exclusively blues with the exception of on 3 lb channel yesterday. Even on the weekend, you can go up past the waterfall and the traffic isn't too bad. The Roland Martin wannabes have about taken the new lake over (Bouldin).

I've been catching a few big bream at Mitchell with a float line out at the same time with a minnow or shad and that's always good for a few smaller size kittys while bream fishing.

6. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Thanks, I am gonna get over there a couple days soon and give it a try, maybe one dam each day. During the week there should be less bass traffic. Ever find any good places to catch shad there??

mike

7. BamaRiverRat

BamaRiverRat New Member

State:
    Alabama
    If the water is running, get on the edge of the boils. If not, against the spillways some of the floodgates leak and there's usually shad where the spillway splashes into the lake. You can also catch them along the catwalks sometimes.

If you are going to fish at night look for a spot in the lake where there isn't much wind and you can usually find plenty of schools of shad in open water. Just be real quiet and careful when "sneaking" up on them to pitch your cast net out.

Bass Pro also carries something online called a "drop net." Pull it behind your boat at a brisk troll and you can usually catch shad that way. You'll also catch some "game fish." Be sure you put these back, the man in green will give you a do better letter if you don't.