anyne used kingKat rods

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by nitemare_63, Oct 27, 2009.

1. nitemare_63

nitemare_63 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    has anyone used these rods or know if they are any good or not? they sell them online at cabela's.

2. PaCatfishHunter

PaCatfishHunter New Member

State:
    Greensburg, PA
    I have two of them and like them. There are a lot of people on here that don't like them. That may be because they don't hold up for the real big cats. I would not buy one if all you go after are the monster cats but they work fine for middle size and smaller cats. I never caught a flathead but a buddy of mine has and he uses these rods. He caught 30lbers with no problem. That may be close to the max for them. I am not sure but again they work great for me.

3. I love mine and it is a great value. Caught flats up to 29 lbs and they can handle more than that in my opinion. Plan on buying another one next season.

4. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have a spinning version and it does excellent for me. It's never showed any signs of trouble.

5. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i tried two of them this year and took them both back one broke on a big cat and i just dident trust them after that a lot of guys hear like them but i am not one of them.

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Have never used them myself, but I am going to recommend the Tangling with Catfish rods that are available thru Jeremy Leach. Great all around rod that will handle any situation.

7. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i have caught flatty's up to 35# with mine, i have a couple 7'ers and a 8'er all in MH action, works for me:cool2:

8. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    I have two that I love. I target blue cats...my PB is a 44 lber and I haven't had any problem with the rods. I'll let you know when I get that 60 lber but I have complete faith in the rods.

9. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    seen em at cabelas and they looked healthy enough:big_smile:

10. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I have 2 ten foot heavy action ones and have caught 70 pound paddle fish with them. However the eyelets on mine were absolute junk. I had to take them all off and replace them with stainless steel ones.

11. Branj796

Branj796 Member

State:
    Illinois
    I know some of you love them but my opinion is a little different. Yeah the eyelets are junk. They ae a good value but they are stiff for channels in a lake. They are not strong enough to trust in heavy current. I use mine as a spare, that my friends use when we go out. Works very well for that. A little more money gets ya a whole lot better rod. Just my opinion and I know others of you love them. Everything is just personal preference. I like my rods to have a certain action and sensitivity. If it works for you then keep using it.

12. KansasKatCatcher

KansasKatCatcher Active Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ka
    Caught a 35 lber on my 8 footer.Looked like it didn't even phase it.I agree the guides are junk.But if your close to a cabelas you can return it for a whole year to be replaced.

13. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    I've got several of them in 7' spinning. Have consistantly handled blues in the 50's. Might be a different story for something pushing 80 to 100 lbs, but I'll deal with that when they get that big around me. Seem to cast decent even with 8 to 12oz sinkers and a big ole shad on, also. Only my opinion.

14. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    the biggest problem with them is that for about 10 bucks than what i paid for mine you can get a surge or catfish safari rod that already has stainless eyes and is a better quality rod all around.

15. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I have 2 7' spinning and caught a few flats this year on them 27pounds no problems at all they seem strong enough to me that they can handle alot more:wink:Althought I'm considering 2 American spirit nite sticks for Christmas

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  16. bluecat69

bluecat69 New Member

State:
    Tupelo, MS
    I have 14 of the 8' MH casting rods (new updated version). I have pulled 62 lb blues and 45 lb flats out of the James River current with no problem. I have pulled in large fish out of some the heavy barge cover with no problems.
    The older version (the blue ones) had a problem with the eyes but the new ones have much better eyes and foam handle grip. I have several different reels that I use on them from ABUs to Shakespeare (sp?) and they all work perfect. You can cast a country mile and they handle the 6 oz weights that I have to use in the heavy current. I have them spooled with 80 lb power pro and the braided line so far has shown no wear on the eyelet inserts.
    Just my personal experience, everyone has their favorite rod and reel combo and I consider these my favorite.