anybody willing to take me fishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by doughboy, Jan 21, 2006.

1. doughboy

doughboy New Member

State:
    newcomerstown,ohio
    I live in Ohio, and will be down in the Charleston area working for the next couple of months. While in South Carolina I want to do some catfishing. I never have caught a big blue so that is what I will be targeting. Would like some help in this if anyone is willing to take a rookie out and show him the ropes please shoot me a Private Messageso we can hook up. THANKS

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Doughboy, we might be able to get together during that time. Let me know the dates you will be here, and what your schedule looks like for time off. I'm retired, and usually pretty flexable.

3. doughboy

doughboy New Member

State:
    newcomerstown,ohio
    well tommy i will be working only 4 days a week but am planning on staying down there at least a couple of weekends just to fish .i am pretty sure i will be starting down there on Jan 30th if not that week it would be the week after will let you know for sure as soon as i find out but thanks in advanced

4. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Let me know more when you can. Will you have internet access while you are there? If not, email me ahead of time before you leave for the holy city, and I'll give you my phone numbers. We should be able to get out some while you're in the area. I'm not an expert, but I can usually catch something, LOL.
    If you stay at one of those holiday expresses it'll help our luck!:)

5. doughboy

doughboy New Member

State:
    newcomerstown,ohio
    tommy i will be heading for south carolina this sunday to start work on monday so god willing i will meet you soon

6. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Brian, I will pm you with my contact info.

7. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Tommy it seems to me we should help this poor Ohio boy out any way we can.Let me know the dates.I feel obligated to help Ohio boys because my personal catfishing Idol MELLON is from Ohio.You cant do enough for a guy that carries a Colt .45 fishing because he feels he needs that kind of firepower.Maybe our SC catfish aren't big enough for these Ohio folks if they have to carry a .45.In any case lets see if we can fix Doughboy up while he is down here.

8. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Now, now, Jim..Mellon has his methods and they should be respected. After all the teasing he got from Jack about dipping his flathead in 4" of water, I am sure he figures the .45 is easier to carry and he is sure to get that cat in the shallow water for Jack.:p

9. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I'll let you know, Jim. I'm still trying to figure out mellon and his .45...makes me feel underpowered with my .40 S&W. But then, I don't catch as big a fish as he does, hehe. (Reminds me of a few years ago, fishing a trot line in the river and had about a 40# blue on there and no landing net. The fish was very lively and I figured he would break off if I tried to haul him in, so I shot it with a 22 mag. pistol. The folks fishing along the other bank from a pontoon with out-of-state registration promptly pulled anchor and hightailed it out of there!LOL)

10. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Itch I DO respect MELLON and his methods.As I said he is my idol and I'm having all my rods modified to accept some kind of mount for a pistol, caliber to be determined.I just never realized Ohio had fish that big.Tommy its funny you say something about shooting a fish.The world record muskie caught back in 1949 was dis allowed eventually because tha angler shot it between the eyes with a 22 to prevent mayhem in his boat.The fish weighted 69+ pounds and shooting fish to subdue them was common in those days.Good story in Outdoor Life about it.:) If Bryan is reading this I hope he understands we are just messing with him.

11. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Doughboy, I sent a pm with my phone numbers. Let me know the particulars as soon as you can, and between Jim and me, we should be able to help you catch one of those big blues...it's a good time for them now.

12. doughboy

doughboy New Member

State:
    newcomerstown,ohio
    ok i am leaving here early on sunday they say it will take about 10 hours to get down there. The job is in mount pleasant, and i will be staying at a days inn just before the bridge into charleston on route 17 . I am working ten hour days so we start at 7 and quiting time is 5:30 maybe sooner but i will call you as soon as i get to the hotel then we can make plans jim i would be nice to meet ya and i dont cary a gun on the road so i hope we can manage them by hand unless you guys have fish like we got up here then i dont know:)

13. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Have a safe trip down, Brian. We will work up something while you're here. Hopefully Jim can make it down, too. I've been wanting to get out all week, but the wind has been wrong for me. I did go one night from the bank, but didn't do any good in the rain.

14. doughboy

doughboy New Member

State:
    newcomerstown,ohio
    well its sunday morning and i am getting ready to leave so i will talk at ya later today Tommy