Anybody want to fill me in on why the fur prices became so low when they were so high

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by channelcat_tracker, May 10, 2006.

1. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    why are prices so low for furs? it just doesnt make sense. About thirty years ago, the prices were booming. Especially coon, why did it go from about 70 to 10 just like that in 30 years? everything dropped so low that now i cant make any money off of it with gas and all. This is SICK and WRONG what those buyers do to us.

2. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    There Have Been Many Fur Clothing Manufactures Go Out Of Buisness. It's Because All The PETA & Other Tree Huggers.

Most People Don't Have Enough Knowledge Or Backbone To Stand Up To These People. Remember That The End Market For Most Fur Type Items Winds Up Into Something That You Or I Could Not Afford.

Now Taking that Into Consideration, Most Of The "Hob-Knobbers" Don't Want To Be Shamed Or Ridiculed By The People That They Associate With. Get My Drift?

For Instance, Look How Many Places Stopped Selling Guns & Ammo After These Insane Lawsuits Started Taking Place Against Gun Manufactures. You Know & I Know That Guns Don't Kill People, PEOPLE KILL PEOPLE.:wink:

3. stevev

stevev New Member

State:
    kansas
    Animal rights idiots and hollywood. For years they have said that you should be ashamed to wear fur. They think outdoorsmen are out to destroy all wildlife, they won't listen to the truth about how groups like DU, NWTF, Quail unlimited and many others help not hurt the animals. Thankfully countries like Russia and China still like fur. California listed the mountain lion as a protected species , since then mt lions have developed a taste for domestic pets and sadly some hikers. They think since the woods don't look like a Disney movie that the hunters and trappers are killing all the animals so they pressure uninformed politicans, then we end up with stupid laws and low demand for fur.

4. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    I agree with the others. It's all because of the psychotic tree huggers who can't even comprehend how much of the economy they're killing. Or they just don't care. I didn't make any money this past winter off of furs. It's not that they weren't good furs, 'cause they were, but they just weren't worth anything. Just be sure to thank those kinda people who won't eat a deer, because it reminds them of bambi and classify all hunters as if they were Elmer Fudd...(it would be funny if it wasn't so pathetic)

5. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    It was tree huggers and warehouses being stacked full. Then About that time there was lots of farms raising animals for fur. And there fur was not as good. But so much cheaper then wild.
    When the market fell. WE were getting $4.75 per muskrat and coon were over $25+ and A mink was well over $50. Even a possum was $3.
    Then muskrats dropped to $1 over night. Now that hurts when you have over 400 hanging and was going to take them off the next day.
    Pete

6. dixiedrifter

dixiedrifter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I think I would be finding a way to cut out the middle man...

Find yourself somone who knows how to sew fur coats, pay them so much money to turn them into finished products, and sell them on ebay.

7. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    tree huggers did the most damage and alot of synthetic fur is being used now, and the wild fur that is being used now is raised in pens.

8. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I was told by a fur buyer/trader that the russian marketdried up after the commy's fell. He was about to go out of business because of no market. I feel that the poor tree huggers are under the wrong impression. but they love the attention and ppolitions will listen to any ane with percieved CLOUT. WE as outdoors people should start OUT CLOUTING them . I will personally clout anythat i can be it with fishing pole or anchor or gunbutt especially if the interfere with my legal right to pursure game .

9. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    You guys nailed it. Peta, collapsing world market, and pen raised fur.

10. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I agree with all of you on the fur problem but did you know that only 2% of the population are anti's, they're just a lot more vocal then we are and they use a lot of celeberties to get their point across no matter how stupid it is. We need to let people know how full of bull they really are by supporting our national hunting and trapping associations who combat this crap in order to keep our hunting and trapping rights alive.

11. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    thanks for your guy's answers. You know Ive heard of PETA and Im sick of hearing about them. Ive wondered if they wondered if they ever succeed then how the enviornment would boom and starvation and disease would harm and effect the animals and how a simple bullet could be the quickest and most humane thing to put an end to the animals cruel life. Another thing and no offense cuz im on the hunters side but WHY CANT WE STAND UP AND FIGHT LIKE THEY ARE???? ITS THAT SIMPLE A LITTLE COMPETITION WILL PUT AN END TO THEM!thanks for lookin here

12. catwacker

catwacker New Member

State:
    illinois
    i am not a trapper, but i know people that are. i don't know if this is legal or if special permits are needed, but people are shipping hides to canada, and getting double the price that they get locally. apparently beaver and muskrat hides are still selling good up there.

13. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    I am not a trapper yet but trapping has always intrested me, I subscribe to a couple of publications and have bought several old timey trapping books. I think fur is is like any other market that the big proffet is on the top, It is not fair to the guy on the bottom of the market chain. As far as peta these people have a very violent faction and have no hounor in their thoughts and actions. I am 5 yrs old and have semi poor health and if I ever am going to try trapping I better get with it.

14. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    As far as PETA, the world is full of these nutcase organizations. I heard they themselves have recently been exposed for killing & dumping animals. Trapping boils-down to management of a renewable source (furbearers). As mentioned, without it (along with hunting), populations would expolde well past habitat capacity (as already the case in many areas).

People like this kill me.....with all the major problems in this world (starvation, health care costs, unemployment, oil, just to name a few)...you'd think they could find a better battle to wage!

Few trappers can actually make a profit from fur, by the time you deduct your expenses, you're lucky if you come-close to breaking even. Take fishermen & women.....how much does a days cattin' pay? Bottom line....ya' have to love what you do!

Smitty