anybody use ST.CROIX rods?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by coltsfan, May 25, 2009.

1. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    just wondering if anybody had them and if they like them or not.right now its looking like i'm gonna get a phleuger president spinning reel on a st.croix rod.plan on using it for bass and saugeye not cats

2. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've got a pair of TRC70MHF's with Abu 6500C3's and for me they make a great combo

3. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    I have six st. croix rods I use for bass fishing, I like them alot, and I have shimano reels on them. I've been using them for years.

4. caulkgun

caulkgun New Member

State:
    Illinois
    my 7'mh cat rod broke on a 20# flathead last week. not good

5. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I have a St. Croix LEC68MXF that I use for medium to light weight plastics, grubs, senkos, etc. And it is a very nice rod, it absolutely as fine as any of my G. Loomis MBR GLX rods. Also have a 2 piece Avid medium light spinning rod that I use crappie fishing. The St. Croix rods at the top end are a good buy if you need the sensitivity. At the low end I would find an alternative, in the middle price range there is a lot of competition.
    These are really good rods:
    http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descpageRDSSHIMANO-SCSR.html
    I would suggest this one CPS-X66MB is you intend on using plastics, ie grubs.

6. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    thanks for your help

7. Cherokee Rod Man

Cherokee Rod Man New Member

State:
    Eufaula La
    Great rods with a good warranty made in USA by people who fish, what more could we want?

8. PABowhunter4life

PABowhunter4life New Member

State:
    Blawnox, PA

That stinks, especially since I landed a 22 pound flathead on my St. Croix Premier Series utralight with 6 pound test and my buddy landed a 21# channel on a 7' medium action Premier series rod with 8 pound test. You can't horse 'em with rods that aren't designed for horsing :wink:

At any rate, the St. Croix Premier series IMO is the best bang for the buck rod line on the market. Plenty of backbone, great casting ability and a TON of sensitivity. Even the "budget" priced Triumph rods are great for the money; I'll be picking up a Triumph series muskie rod shortly to join my gang.